Covid-19 VACCINE News

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Covid-19 VACCINE News

Post by mannanman »

Guillaine-Barre syndrome side affects have been reported in also Pfizer and AZ. They are extremely rare.

100 cases in how many doses in the US, 350 million?
People of the world, spice up your life.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

mannanman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:55 am Guillaine-Barre syndrome side affects have been reported in also Pfizer and AZ. They are extremely rare.

there have been 13 million J&J vaccines
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:27 am
Doc67 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:01 am
Apollo91881 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:46 am
cautious colin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:47 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:49 pm
A million AZ from Japan and now another million J&J from Covax? Is Vietnam getting the same deliveries? Thailand too? With an abundance of SinoVac/Pharm in Cambodia already and more on the way, it might be time to start doing our neighbours a favour.
Thailand didn't apply for COVAX

Vietnam have received around 2.5m AZ and 2m Moderna (not sure if Moderna qualified as COVAX or just donation from US

Edit: J&J seems to be the worst western developed vaccine too. Just can't catch a break
I wonder how J&J compares to the Chinese ones though.
Thailand didn't apply for COVAX

Why not?
I didn't know this either, but they're joining the programme now:
https://apnews.com/article/business-hea ... 6d4562132d
And there we were thinking our lot were the worst in the region!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

It appears from a fresh US study the single-shot J&J vaccine is barely adequate and about the equal of the Chinese products, sorry to report. They're now recommending for booster shots such as another J&J shot or mRNA shots.

From Reuters:
Johnson & Johnson shot may need boosting

People who received the one-dose Johnson & Johnson (JNJ.N) COVID-19 vaccine may need a booster shot to fend off some of the worrisome coronavirus variants now spreading worldwide, a study suggests.

A "significant fraction" of blood samples from recipients of the J&J shot had low neutralizing antibody levels against the Delta, Delta Plus, Beta and Lambda variants, according to a report posted on Wednesday on the medical website bioRxiv ahead of peer review.

Neutralizing antibody levels were so low, in fact, that the vaccine would be unlikely to offer even 50% protection against infection with those viruses, researchers from the New York University Grossman School of Medicine said. In the United States, 50% efficacy is the minimum for FDA emergency-use approval, which the J&J vaccine has received.

Based on studies with other vaccines, the researchers believe neutralizing antibody levels in recipients of the J&J vaccine could be improved either with a second dose of the same vaccine or with a dose of an mRNA vaccine from Pfizer(PFE.N)/BioNTech (22UAy.DE) or Moderna(MRNA.O).

"While a single dose vaccination has advantages, the benefit provided by a second immunization may be well worth the inconvenience," they said.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Chile, with it's Sinovac vaccine programme seems to be doing ok now after a dodgy period of rising infections a few months ago. Hopefully this bodes well for Cambodia

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

You will be able to buy your own vaccines soon, and may have a choice of what you want, if all goes well.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:53 pm You will be able to buy your own vaccines soon, and may have a choice of what you want, if all goes well.
It'll be interesting to see how this pans out, what vaccines become available and at what price.

Meanwhile, just have to keep on top of the news as to the efficacy and antibody endurance of the shots you've had, and see what additional booster Cambodia offers up for free (if any) in the future. Otherwise if the price is right it might be worth coughing up for one of the commercially available shots.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Coming from a country with a health service that's free at the point of use for everyone regardless of income, I have very mixed feelings about the ability to buy your own vaccines. I think it was inevitable that this was how things were going to pan out eventually, but it does bring a lot of ethical, moral and humanitarian issues into question.

I'd be lying if I said that there wasn't a small part of me that's quite relived that I might be able to get hold of a better vaccine than the one I have been given here in Cambodia already, but I can see this turning into a two or three tiered system where effectively, the lives of those that can afford it are more important than the lives of those that can't.

Like a lot of people who come from countries with 'free' health systems (I know, it's not really free, we pay for it through our taxes but you get my point) health and economics just don't mix well. I still haven't gotten used to paying to see a doctor out here - I simply don't trust their diagnostics because the more treatment I 'have to have' the more profit the doctor makes. This just isn't an issue when the service you're getting is free regardless.

I think we always knew that the private sector would eventually get their vaccines 'on the shelves' so to speak, attached to a price tag, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I guess at the moment, all we know is that the government have given it the go-ahead.

It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

cautious colin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:59 am
mannanman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:55 am Guillaine-Barre syndrome side affects have been reported in also Pfizer and AZ. They are extremely rare.

Still a minuscule amount either way.
People of the world, spice up your life.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

mannanman wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:35 pm
cautious colin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:59 am

Still a minuscule amount either way.
Yep, just thought I'd give the actual figures
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic