Covid-19 VACCINE News

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Re: Covid-19 VACCINE News

Post by hburns »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:05 pm
atst wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:31 pm Maybe because the Chinese vaccine is only for under 60 and that's the only vaccine they have without spending some of the donation money
Yeah, apparently the Sinopharm vaccine that WHO just approved was NOT tested on over 60s.

The Astrazeneca one was previously reserved I think for that here but they ran out and India are flat out producing it for their own people.

I also think there may be a different strategy here compared to other countries. In that over 60s elsewhere are considered high risk category, whereas here, workers are considered higher priority given they are usually the providers for the immediate family. The thinking being that the sooner they can go back to work, the sooner they earn and sustain the family.
In Indonesia they started by vaccinating the young first. The thinking was that younger people will be most likely to catch the virus first due to more sociable lifestyles and being out at work. By vaccinating them the hope is that it breaks the chain of transmission and protects the older more vulnerable people.

There doesn't seem to be one size fits all when it comes to each country vaccinating it's citizens and some countries just have to do the best they can with what is available.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

Covid is now the third leading cause of death in some countries. New variants are popping out every month.
Beside mass vaccination, how can we get out of this pandemic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

One of these things that bugs me on a daily basis is the attitude...

"Europe didn't renew it's AZ order"
The smile, like we're so smart.
We're not.
We're late.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Ghostwriter wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:40 am One of these things that bugs me on a daily basis is the attitude...

We're not.
We're late.
Yeah, the EU has gone down a lot in my estimation and I voted remain. The EU didn't put the cash up for R&D early on like Britain but still expected to be 1st in the queue. Certain voices from within Europe tried discrediting the AZ vaccine and the EU couldn't make its mind up about using the vaccine. Then they have the cheek to sue AZ for not delivering as much as the EU hoped for even though the EU had 10's of millions of doses which it still hadn't used and let's not forget that AZ has made this vaccine not for profit.

Shitshow is the only way to describe the EU.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Ghostwriter wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:40 am One of these things that bugs me on a daily basis is the attitude...
The smile, like we're so smart

Not to defend them on any of the above but don’t forget that’s a still photo with a quote juxtaposed there by a newspaper editor, it’s not like that’s the words the guy was saying as the photo was being taken. He could be smiling because he’s just remembered it’s steak tonight, or even because smiling is what we have all been conditioned to do when someone takes your photo.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

nerdlinger wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:42 am He could be smiling because he’s just remembered it’s steak tonight, or even because smiling is what we have all been conditioned to do when someone takes your photo.
I'm pissed because they always use the "steak tonight" shot option in these cases, just like the "talented" tv singers who also happen to be good looking. How convenient...
The whole communication goes well over my head these days, we heard too much bullshit, but now i hate these systematic little intentional photographic details like this.

The printed news nowadays taste feels so artificial in France, beetween bland, chemical and just bad, it's the extreme opposite of all the taste issues we're usually quite good at.

Nothing really new, just increasing. I wonder which will be the critical point of all this crappy information management here, but i'm surprised at how high the level of pretending-to-better-understand-the-whole-thing is on all main medias.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hburns wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:23 am

We're not.
We're late.
Yeah, the EU has gone down a lot in my estimation and I voted remain. The EU didn't put the cash up for R&D early on like Britain but still expected to be 1st in the queue. Certain voices from within Europe tried discrediting the AZ vaccine and the EU couldn't make its mind up about using the vaccine. Then they have the cheek to sue AZ for not delivering as much as the EU hoped for even though the EU had 10's of millions of doses which it still hadn't used and let's not forget that AZ has made this vaccine not for profit.

Shitshow is the only way to describe the EU.
It was always going to be top heavy and lumbering, with inter-nation bickering about who gets what and when. And if the UK had joined their vaccine procurement scheme we would have been left without any influence over decision making (being out of the EU) and unable to do any direct deals. It was a very ballsy decision at the time to have nothing to do with them, now proved to have been the correct decision.

Now the Guardian can call us all selfish for having more than our 'fair share' (whatever that means) but don't forget The Guardian's take on the UK not getting involved with the EU Vaccine scheme last summer:

UK plan to shun EU vaccine scheme ‘unforgivable’, say critics

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ine-scheme
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:23 am
It was always going to be top heavy and lumbering, with inter-nation bickering about who gets what and when. And if the UK had joined their vaccine procurement scheme we would have been left without any influence over decision making (being out of the EU) and unable to do any direct deals. It was a very ballsy decision at the time to have nothing to do with them, now proved to have been the correct decision.

Now the Guardian can call us all selfish for having more than our 'fair share' (whatever that means) but don't forget The Guardian's take on the UK not getting involved with the EU Vaccine scheme last summer:

UK plan to shun EU vaccine scheme ‘unforgivable’, say critics

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ine-scheme
I don't think The Guardian believes that anti-EU slant that they put on every possible story. It's just effective clickbait for all the remoaners who are addicted to their regular doses of anti-Brexit news - and they need the money because they are the last UK (supposedly) respectable rag with no paywall or even anti-ad blockers.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:12 am
I don't think The Guardian believes that anti-EU slant that they put on every possible story. It's just effective clickbait for all the remoaners who are addicted to their regular doses of anti-Brexit news - and they need the money because they are the last UK (supposedly) respectable rag with no paywall or even anti-ad blockers.
As you would know, I meant to say anti-Brexit slant!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

The story was first posted by @theKid as a WLJ article behind a paywall / registration process on another thread (the one we can't talk on)

I found a similar article in the Daily Mail (hold your nose, lefties). In a nutshell, one third of all new infection are among those who have received both doses. Although the numbers are small, so too is the population of just 100,000.

Seychelles closes schools to fight a 'critical' surge in Covid cases despite being the most vaccinated nation in the world after receiving shipment of Chinese shots

Seychelles, the world's most Covid-vaccinated nation with more than 60 per cent of its adult population having received two jabs, has reintroduced restrictions because of a spike in cases.

There are currently 1,068 active Covid cases in the Seychelles, of which a third have been detected in people given two doses of either AstraZeneca's or China's Sinopharm's vaccine.

It unclear what has triggered the surge in cases but testing has detected the South African variant spreading on the islands.

Scientists believe the mutant strain can evade immunity and make jabs up to 30 per cent weaker at preventing infections — but they think Western vaccines should still stop people falling severely ill if they get infected

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... world.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic