Covid-19 VACCINE News

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Covid-19 VACCINE News

Post by newkidontheblock »

I’d strongly predict that both Chinese vaccines get approval. And then a change in ratios of vaccines available from the WHO. Aka, mostly the Chinese vaccines dominating availability, and the western ones mysteriously unavailable.

With months later, the aftermath of not as effective vaccines (compared to the western ones), quietly swept under the rug.

This is just a guess. I sure I am wrong.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Arget wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:58 pm Is she correct or is this "fake news"

Second dose ‘not required’ for Covid-19 positive individuals who recover
So Visal | Publication date 23 April 2021 | 18:15 ICT

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine. Hean Rangsey
Any individual who contracts Covid-19 despite having received their first dose of coronavirus vaccine – and then recovers – is not required to take the second shot, according to Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine.

Vandine, who is also head of the ad-hoc national commission for the Covid-19 vaccine programme, explained that people produce antibodies after the first dose.

“If you tested positive for Covid-19, you need to get proper treatment. But after recovering, there is no need to get your second shot because you’d already have developed neutralising antibodies,” Vandine was quoted as saying on the Ministry of Information website.

Vandine noted that a first dose does not necessarily protect an individual from contracting the virus, but rather serves to stimulate immunoglobulin production.

On the other hand, she added that vaccines do help reduce the severity of the disease, and prevent hospitalisations and deaths.

As of April 22, Cambodia had vaccinated a total of 1,281,406 people including civilians and members of the armed forces.
Now! Do I need my second shot?
As experts have breathlessly said throughout the pandemic, the vaccine will not be an immediate “silver bullet” to put an end to the coronavirus pandemic. While it’s encouraged that people eligible for the vaccine get it when it’s available to them (and to talk with their healthcare provider if they aren’t sure), getting the shot doesn’t mean the rest of us can be lax on the other coronavirus spread-preventing practices.
On Tuesday an ABC affiliate in San Diego reported that an emergency room nurse tested positive six days after receiving the Pfizer vaccine. Per the outlet, the 45-year-old was vaccinated with the first dose on December 18, reporting only arm soreness as a side effect, and less than a week later experienced chills, muscle pain and fatigue that urged him to go get tested.
While this may be confusing to people who haven’t been reading up on the vaccine, experts say that this situation isn’t impossible based on data from clinical trials, as people don’t immediately develop immunity following their first dose of the two-part vaccine.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... r-BB1cmD3W

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes that, despite different vaccines being developed, the goal of each is to “teach our immune systems how to recognize and fight the virus that causes COVID-19. Sometimes this process can cause symptoms, such as fever. These symptoms are normal and are a sign that the body is building immunity.”
“It typically takes a few weeks for the body to build immunity after vaccination,” per the agency. “That means it’s possible a person could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 just before or just after vaccination and get sick. This is because the vaccine has not had enough time to provide protection…If your body develops an immune response, which is the goal of vaccination, there is a possibility you may test positive on some antibody tests. Antibody tests indicate you had a previous infection and that you may have some level of protection against the virus. Experts are currently looking at how COVID-19 vaccination may affect antibody testing results.”

Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech are considered to be only 95 percent effective if you indeed get that second dose.
The thing is that is how vaccines work, they are more effective (like most medicines) if you take the recommended dosage. If it’s a two-part vaccine, it is for a reason, just has the Ministry of Health spokeswoman, has her reasons for saying what she believes. But if I happened to be one of the unfortunate to get covid19 after the first shot, I would be looking more so to get the second, to give me a better fighting chance if I was unlucky to get the virus once more.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:44 pm I’d strongly predict that both Chinese vaccines get approval. And then a change in ratios of vaccines available from the WHO. Aka, mostly the Chinese vaccines dominating availability, and the western ones mysteriously unavailable.

With months later, the aftermath of not as effective vaccines (compared to the western ones), quietly swept under the rug.

Do you mean that you think that the Chinese vaccines will be made available for developing countries who can't access the western vaccines ?
I think that's a possibility. But, is that a bad thing as such ? Even with reduced efficiency, don't you think that 50% prevention is better than 0% ? Is a half-good vaccine better than none ? (I haven't made up my own mind on this.)
In a perfect world, everyone should have access to correct health care, but this is not how things really are, and IMO the richer countries are going to look after their own people first and get their populations vaccinated with their own products.
So if you are a poor developing nation, should you wait in line for the "better" vaccines, which might take some time to be available, or should you shoot up the population as fast as possible with any safe vaccine that is available immediately ?
(I DON'T KNOW. )
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:19 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:44 pm I’d strongly predict that both Chinese vaccines get approval. And then a change in ratios of vaccines available from the WHO. Aka, mostly the Chinese vaccines dominating availability, and the western ones mysteriously unavailable.

Do you mean that you think that the Chinese vaccines will be made available for developing countries who can't access the western vaccines ?
I think that's a possibility. But, is that a bad thing as such ? Even with reduced efficiency, don't you think that 50% prevention is better than 0% ? Is a half-good vaccine better than none ? (I haven't made up my own mind on this.)
In a perfect world, everyone should have access to correct health care, but this is not how things really are, and IMO the richer countries are going to look after their own people first and get their populations vaccinated with their own products.
So if you are a poor developing nation, should you wait in line for the "better" vaccines, which might take some time to be available, or should you shoot up the population as fast as possible with any safe vaccine that is available immediately ?
(I DON'T KNOW. )
(I DON'T KNOW). Very good words at this moment. Like many expats with retirement visa ER EOS, first the vaccine was a choice, official offering, and free of charge, we have only to wait our turn.
Does it seem more and more doubtful, or even possible that we will be with the remaining that are left after the proposed 10 million is reached. They still may come up with, vacancies available at a cost. Adding too this I was talking with a Wing counter person who suffers from Assma, he apparently is to receive the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at his clinic.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
K1m0
Tourist
Canada

Post by K1m0 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:19 am

(I DON'T KNOW. )
mRNA vaccines seem to still lead in efficacy compared to other vaccines. I'm lucky enough to be getting AstraZeneca tomorrow. Sure I'd prefer Pfizer, but I also assume this isnt going to be the last set of vaccines I'll need to take. Variant, booster shots and so on are coming as time marches on. Sinopharm seems to be more effective against variants than Sinovac, so hopefully you'll have a choice.

Otherwise, roll up your sleeve again in 2022 because I dont believe this virus will stop soon.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Chinese vaccines haven’t gone through rigorous Phase 3 trials, just the communist government saying, ‘trust us.’

Even the Johnson & Johnson vaccine rollout is being delayed over a few blood clots in the US. Nothing stops the Chinese vaccine rollout.

Meanwhile, the Chinese vaccines are getting Phase 1, 2, and 3 trials now through mass immunization. Those getting the vaccine now is part of the clinical trial. No one knows (and may never know) the real side effect profile. Chinese data is a national secret.

My worry is the WHO gets influenced to dump the other vaccines and supply only the Chinese vaccines.

Anyone going slowly going blind or becoming impotent will get swept under the rug and forgotten in the communist triumph.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

UAE uses mainly the Sinopharm vaccine. My brother was telling me recently a couple of his friends had had it there, but failed to develop antibodies, and it turns out UAE has started giving third shots to people for that reason. Nevertheless the number of cases there has more or less halved, but seems to have plateaued. Other factors might be in play as I don't know what type of lockdown they have that might have resulted in this result, so make of that what you will.

Read about it in this six week old article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-a-e-givi ... 1615575099

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Here's an update on Chile and this looks very promising

And here is a fun graphic that shows the vaccination rates, across all countries, since December. Just press play.

<iframe src="https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covi ... 2020-12-15" loading="lazy" style="width: 100%; height: 600px; border: 0px none;"></iframe>
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

"In an apparent move to allay concerns and build trust in Covid-19 vaccines procured by the government, HE posted pictures of football superstars Neymar Jr and Lionel Messi, citing Xinhua News agency reports that both had been vaccinated with Chinese Covid-19 vaccine Sinovac."

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... guard-down
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

BREAKING
WHO approves China's Sinopharm Covid-19 vaccine
The World Health Organization has approved the use of China's Sinopharm coronavirus vaccine.

At a briefing, the WHO's director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus says: "This afternoon, WHO gave Emergency Use Listing to Sinopharm Beijing’s Covid-19 vaccine, making it the sixth vaccine to receive WHO validation for safety, efficacy and quality.

"This expands the list of Covid-19 vaccines that Covax can buy, and gives countries confidence to expedite their own regulatory approval, and to import and administer a vaccine."

Covax is an international effort to try to ensure fair access to vaccines among rich and poor nations but the global situation remains vastly uneven.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-56967973
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic