Covid-19 VACCINE News

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Covid-19 VACCINE News

Post by cautious colin »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:48 am Image
The clearest, most concise stats of any country I have seen, all information you could possibly need except hospitalised.

why can't every country be this clear in reporting

edit: also doesn't have new cases which is a bit poor. maybe I was getting carried away as they have very good testing figures, nearly impossible to get those in Cambodia
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

cautious colin wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:13 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:48 am Image
The clearest, most concise stats of any country I have seen, all information you could possibly need except hospitalised.

why can't every country be this clear in reporting

edit: also doesn't have new cases which is a bit poor. maybe I was getting carried away as they have very good testing figures, nearly impossible to get those in Cambodia
811,284 tests as of today, but I notice that figure does not move very often and hasn't moved since 19th April.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:48 am Bhutan along with Israel are success stories
Over the last two weeks, Bhutan has been doing something even the wealthiest countries couldn’t manage so far. First, instead of hastily doling out its first batch of AstraZeneca vaccine, they sat on it for two months. Then it took them just about two weeks to vaccinate nearly 95 percent of its eligible adult population.

At the same time, Bhutan’s king Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck, had very early on announced that he will get vaccinated only once every eligible citizen is vaccinated.

“The idea of serving others before yourself, especially people most in need, is a fundamental concept in Bhutanese culture,” said Yangden. “His decision to get vaccinated later is a symbolic gesture that demonstrates [the king’s] desire to put everyone’s safety before his own.” The king also dolled out several initiatives at this time, such as loan deferrals and royal cash grants to the unemployed and economically affected.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/k78qae/ ... 4UUO9fEFJo

The prime minister of Butan is a doctor. I believe he still practices medicine in addition to his PM duties.
Hat tip to their way of doing things.

Lotay Tshering[3] (Dzongkha: བློ་གྲོས་ཚེ་རིང་; Nepali: लोटे छिरिङ, born 10 May 1969) is a Bhutanese politician and doctor[4] who is the current Prime Minister of Bhutan,[5][6] in office since 7 November 2018. He has also been the president of Druk Nyamrup Tshogpa since 14 May 2018.[7][8]”

From
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotay_Tshering
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Is she correct or is this "fake news"

Second dose ‘not required’ for Covid-19 positive individuals who recover
So Visal | Publication date 23 April 2021 | 18:15 ICT

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine. Hean Rangsey
Any individual who contracts Covid-19 despite having received their first dose of coronavirus vaccine – and then recovers – is not required to take the second shot, according to Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine.

Vandine, who is also head of the ad-hoc national commission for the Covid-19 vaccine programme, explained that people produce antibodies after the first dose.

“If you tested positive for Covid-19, you need to get proper treatment. But after recovering, there is no need to get your second shot because you’d already have developed neutralising antibodies,” Vandine was quoted as saying on the Ministry of Information website.

Vandine noted that a first dose does not necessarily protect an individual from contracting the virus, but rather serves to stimulate immunoglobulin production.

On the other hand, she added that vaccines do help reduce the severity of the disease, and prevent hospitalisations and deaths.

As of April 22, Cambodia had vaccinated a total of 1,281,406 people including civilians and members of the armed forces.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I believe I read something similar, but as I recall this was not something tested - rather a theory that doctors were "pretty sure" about. I would imagine that it also depends on how long ago you were infected and perhaps on the severity.

The other thing I've read more than once is that many people suffering from "long covid" have seen improvement after receiving a vaccine shot.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

TWY wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:19 pm I believe I read something similar, but as I recall this was not something tested - rather a theory that doctors were "pretty sure" about. I would imagine that it also depends on how long ago you were infected and perhaps on the severity.

The other thing I've read more than once is that many people suffering from "long covid" have seen improvement after receiving a vaccine shot.
There seems to be some strong support for this view. But of course, more study is needed. There seems to be some lab speak in the first source so I've made my own interpretations in square brackets. Two sources:
Antibody concentrations against COVID-19 in coronavirus survivors [post infection] were 10 to 45 times those of coronavirus-naïve [before full vaccine effect] participants at the same time points after receiving their first shot. Immune responses after the first dose didn't significantly differ between the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

Antibody levels increased threefold in participants not previously infected with COVID-19 after the second shot, but they didn't rise after the second dose in COVID-19 survivors. Regardless, those previously infected had more than six times the median antibody levels than coronavirus-naïve participants after the second dose.
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspec ... ccine-dose
[John Moore, a professor of microbiology and immunology at Weill Cornell Medicine, said] there is increasing evidence that “one dose is sufficient to give a very strong immunity boost and that the second dose is not adding much” in some people who have had the virus. But, as the researchers point out, the duration of these antibody responses will need further study.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... cond-dose/
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

my daughter had covid
her dr recommended she get both shots , ( Pfizer) which she has had

as to the symptoms she experiences from long covid, ( 10 months now since positive) so far no change ;-(
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Post by beerlaodrinker »

Arget wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:58 pm Is she correct or is this "fake news"

Second dose ‘not required’ for Covid-19 positive individuals who recover
So Visal | Publication date 23 April 2021 | 18:15 ICT

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine. Hean Rangsey
Any individual who contracts Covid-19 despite having received their first dose of coronavirus vaccine – and then recovers – is not required to take the second shot, according to Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine.

Vandine, who is also head of the ad-hoc national commission for the Covid-19 vaccine programme, explained that people produce antibodies after the first dose.

“If you tested positive for Covid-19, you need to get proper treatment. But after recovering, there is no need to get your second shot because you’d already have developed neutralising antibodies,” Vandine was quoted as saying on the Ministry of Information website.

Vandine noted that a first dose does not necessarily protect an individual from contracting the virus, but rather serves to stimulate immunoglobulin production.

On the other hand, she added that vaccines do help reduce the severity of the disease, and prevent hospitalisations and deaths.

As of April 22, Cambodia had vaccinated a total of 1,281,406 people including civilians and members of the armed forces.
I fulsomely support this. The expertise built up during the successful 15 months of Covid, where Cambodia surpassed the world, has meant the competent authorities have the best insight in the world on this point and their every utterance should be followed slavishly.
I am looking forward to the pontifications on the medicinal combinations with prahok and amok also.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Personally, I blame Steve Jobs :stir:
:thumb:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

WHO to Decide on Sinopharm Jab by the End of the Week
27/04/21 13:54
GENEVA, April 26 (CGTN) - The World Health Organization said it will decide by the end of the week whether to grant Sinopharm's COVID-19 vaccine emergency use listing, in what could kickstart the Chinese jab's global distribution.

The WHO's technical advisory group launched its review of Sinopharm on Monday, making it the first Chinese vaccine to be reviewed by a global regulator.

"We expect that Sinopharm will have a decision before the end of this week," said Mariangela Simao, WHO Assistant Director General for Access to medicines, vaccines and pharmaceuticals.

She added that a decision on Sinovac, which will go under review starting May 3, was "likely by the end of next week."

While the Sinopharm was approved in China, Pakistan and the United Arab Emirates, it has not been widely distributed in the West. A greenlight from the WHO could help launch its global rollout and help make Chinese vaccines major players in the fight to stamp out coronavirus.
- FRESH NEWS
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic