The companion thread to ‘Travel availability....’

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The companion thread to ‘Travel availability....’

Post by Yerg »

atst wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:07 pm I'm pretty sure guys and gals want this thread for info to get home to Cambodia, not how to have a holiday there
I, for one, am planning to holiday there soonest as is possible.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Travel availability from UK to Cambodia

Post by rexwell »

Duncan wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:50 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:22 pm
rexwell wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:17 pm The Cambodian govt. should run free return charter flights from AKL-> SYD-> BNE-> PNH conditional upon a minimum length of stay of two weeks, approved 3*** hotels only, and city tours booked and paid for already and non-refundable plus a post-covid economy boost tax of $100 plus visa $40 paid. Health insurance and Covid neg certificates mandatory, but no quarantine period. Is that feasible?
Mods... here's your first target.

Sorry Rexwell

Go easy on the guy, he's still high on puha.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrgEaz ... w0LAtFYhY-
True Duncan. I was high on the electric puha when I wrote that. Normally. I never smoke and type, but it just seemed like a good idea at the time. Before covid, I hadn't touched the stuff for many years. I'm pleading subconscious anxiety your honor. Free flights to Cambodia; obviously stoned.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... flights-us

Cambodia welcomes any US airline that wishes to operate direct flights to the Kingdom and promote trade, tourism and investment with the world’s largest economy, said Minister in charge of the State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) Mao Havanall.

Havannall was speaking at a meeting with US Ambassador to Cambodia W Patrick Murphy at the SSCA office on Monday.

maybe flights sooner then expected?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Wishful thinking. Still so many hard stops to prevent the US tourist masses from returning. Top of the list is the edict denying US travelers entrance to the Kingdom. Then the 2 week mandatory quarantine on arrival at a location the government chooses. And finally no visa on arrival and requirement for travel insurance.

All these hassles might be worth it for someone staying for 3-6-12 months, who have family and financial ties to the Kingdom of Wonder.

But to the typical American family who wants to do the 1 week vacation at an exotic locale?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

:evil:
atst wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:07 pm I'm pretty sure guys and gals want this thread for info to get home to Cambodia, not how to have a holiday there
Different people want different things, as always. I want to holiday in Cambodia once it's possible again.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

BklynBoy wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:07 am https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... flights-us

Cambodia welcomes any US airline that wishes to operate direct flights to the Kingdom and promote trade, tourism and investment with the world’s largest economy, said Minister in charge of the State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) Mao Havanall.

Havannall was speaking at a meeting with US Ambassador to Cambodia W Patrick Murphy at the SSCA office on Monday.

maybe flights sooner then expected?
LOL:
i'll bet they do>>>>

but wont happen, Americans dont want/need direct flights from the US to Cambodia now or ever, (not to mention the current banning of Americans from entering the country)
Just not enough to entice a traveler that far and i seriously doubt that PP will replace bangkok as a regional SE Asian hub

as for trade, kinda one sided;
...exported more than $1.083 billion worth of goods to the US in the first two months of this year, sharp 46.96 per cent year-on-year increase
..The Kingdom’s imports amounted to $53.2 million down 28.97 per cent
Got to love those garment factories
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

agree w/ NK and PhuketR-- Singapore and Seoul are the transit hubs -- Maybe by July, Cambodia will loosen restrictions or is that wishful thinking.. that will give me half a summer's worth.

If they allow US citizens but still have those high barriers of entry- quarantine, health insurance .. i couldn't do it..
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

good news thing looking like getting going again, though I wont be booking any flight in the next few days till I'm certain it will fly

SINGAPORE: Singapore, a regional travel and tourism hub, will gradually allow travellers to transit through its Changi Airport from June 2, the city-state's aviation regulator said on Wednesday.

Currently, foreign passengers may only transit through Singapore if they are on repatriation flights arranged by their governments. In March, visitors were banned from entering or transiting through the city-state to help combat the Covid-19 pandemic.

"This is part of Singapore's strategy to gradually re-open air transport to meet the needs of our economy and our people, whilst ensuring sufficient safeguards for safe travel," the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore said.

It said airlines should submit their proposals for transfer lanes, which will be evaluated taking into account aviation safety, public health considerations, as well as the health of passengers and air crew.

Changi Airport, among the world's busiest last year, recorded 25,200 passenger movements in April, crashing 99.5% from the year ago.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:01 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:01 pm Korean Air.
London Heathrow-Inchon-Phnom Penh (return).
16-5-20/one off.
£1800
(Web link)

Do you mean June, not May?

Where did you find that Flight? I was looking at this route yesterday FD. The problem is the connector from ICN to PP doesnot fly on the arrival day of your LHR flight. I tried endlessly, correct me if I am wrong.

I looked at a flight leaving AMS which leaves on a day the synchronises with the connectors, arriving at 15:05 in plenty of time to catch either the KA or Asiana connector to PP. But you still have to get to AMS for the 21:20 KA flight. I think that may well be doable in a month.

How are you going to get a Covid-19 free test within 24 hours of departure?
Are you prepared to do 14 days in a Cambodian quarantine?
Yes, May.
Over the space of a week, two flight options sourced by entering Departure= London, Destination = Phnom Penh, two flights appeared for May. Tuesday and Thursday/Friday. This changed to become 1 flight only, on the Saturday. Demonstrating that airlines have their planning staff constantly speculating and looking for options, too.

Whether that flight went or not, I have no idea. I was working on the Friday, and technically on the Saturday, too. So no use to me, and too late to grab the chance.

As a ‘Key worker’ I’m in the group that might be able to wrangle a test.
UK test at a testing site gives you an answer in 24hrs, I’m informed. (Text message)
UK home testing kit gets you an answer in 72hrs.

Right now, getting all the holes to line up is a big task. Having an airline come up with the goods is a big stumbling block.

At work, I’m sequestered in a hotel room off duty, breakfast in a bag, room service of sorts for dinner. Go to work. Repeat. Doing the same/similar in Cambodia might be better. I’m willing to give it a go. (Next week is week 11, and while the little fella is great to watch on camera, the whole tactile experience of family is a little bit thin, otherwise)

Another month and I start walking :dragonchase:
I found a company in central London that will get results in max 48 hours and will accept personal delivery of sample to cut out the postage time, results by email from proper UK doctor. Details are in UK news in ROW section. Can you escape your hotel room and get to central London?

Korean Airline are a doing flights now, they change their schedule on 31st May but it still doesn't hook up with a connector to PP.

Now Singapore is opening for transit, maybe SA will begin in June and be reliable, they are showing fares from July already.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:56 pm I found a company in central London that will get results in max 48 hours and will accept personal delivery of sample to cut out the postage time, results by email from proper UK doctor. Details are in UK news in ROW section. Can you escape your hotel room and get to central London?
I used the testing station service. Tested at 14:30 on Tuesday. Results between 24 and 72hrs, had email and text message results 9am Thursday. 43hrs. It’s a generally unpleasant process, resulting in gagging and watering eyes. Girl administering was pretty (from the face mask up.)
But all clear, so that’s good.

When in the UK, I’m normally on the south coast. London is an awkward option. Actually, London is just awkward. I try to spend as little time there as possible.
At work, I’m usually in a hotel in Liège (at the airport), Paris-CDG (at the airport) or Marseille (at the bloody airport). :facepalm: Oh the glamour.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic