Western Woman Seen Begging on Kampot Roadside

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Western Woman Seen Begging on Kampot Roadside

Post by explorer »

If I came across her, I would talk to her and ask her about her situation. (I am not likely to at present, because she is nowhere near where I am.) I may suggest having a meal together and find out what she has to say about her situation. If it seems she is a genuine person caught in a difficult situation, I would discuss ideas to help her. For example, I would ask her if she would be happy to do a job that Cambodians normally do, and get paid at a rate that Cambodians get paid at. If she wanted to, we could consider possibilities.

I would encourage others to talk to her, and find out what they can. If someone does talk to her, and she seems genuine, pm me with her phone number or facebook contact.

Some people who are saying things about her which are not nice, may find yourself caught in a difficult situation in the future.

Some of the comments should be dealt with by the forum moderator, but he seems happy with the conversation in the gutter. I will quote just one example. This is not the only one.
thold wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 pm Imho this girl seems to be suffering from some type of mental disorder.
This judgement has been made knowing nothing about her, and only seeing two photos of her.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
xavoy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by xavoy »

explorer wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:56 am If I came across her, I would talk to her and ask her about her situation. (I am not likely to at present, because she is nowhere near where I am.) I may suggest having a meal together and find out what she has to say about her situation. If it seems she is a genuine person caught in a difficult situation, I would discuss ideas to help her. For example, I would ask her if she would be happy to do a job that Cambodians normally do, and get paid at a rate that Cambodians get paid at. If she wanted to, we could consider possibilities.

I would encourage others to talk to her, and find out what they can. If someone does talk to her, and she seems genuine, pm me with her phone number or facebook contact.

Some people who are saying things about her which are not nice, may find yourself caught in a difficult situation in the future.

Some of the comments should be dealt with by the forum moderator, but he seems happy with the conversation in the gutter. I will quote just one example. This is not the only one.
thold wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 pm Imho this girl seems to be suffering from some type of mental disorder.
This judgement has been made knowing nothing about her, and only seeing two photos of her.
Would you do the same if it was a decrepit old dude?
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

AndyKK wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:41 pm
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:48 pm
fazur wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:50 pm
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:54 pmI don't know your or her situation actually I really couldn't careless, I myself have never asked anyone for anything call me old school but I was raised to be a man and to always stand on my own feet.
better men than u or me have been reduced to begging and crime to survive

im guessing you have had the benefits of a stable upbringing in a developed country.

are there beggars in your country?

there are in mine

some are addicts, mentally ill or challenged, we shouldnt write off vulnerable people?

expats in dubai and panama scorn all expats here, is it deserved?
Beggars get no sympathy from me.

“You give a poor man a fish and you feed him for a day. You teach him to fish and you give him an occupation that will feed him for a lifetime.”
In a first world country you would think there would be no need for begging, apart from the professional beggars. But that of normal people get overlooked at times by the authorities and that of the social system. There maybe some unforeseen reason the street beggar has no sympathy from yourself, your quote has no relevance in todays world, the simple fact is you need money to do the most simple things in life! "To teach him to fish and you give him an occupation that will feed him for a lifetime.” That would firstly cost, and use someone's time, and who would pay the teacher? I know it would have been a possible hypothetical remark from you. Possibly like yourself I have not been one with a silver spoon in my mouth, and believe hard work for a living is the only way forward. Better too to build a safety net, because if not it could be so easy to slip on hard times, unfortunately we can't see the future instore for ourselves, but we can control some of what may come along.
It once happened to me. I had suffered illness on my travels to distant lands, free health care back home, more so because it was the nature of an airborne contagious virus, but no living support allowance, most of my family and friends too didn't want to know or help, but I got over the illness of five years by my own means of the safety net. Not everyone is has lucky to be prepared for such things in todays world.
So I don't un-sympathise of beggars because I don't know the reason they ended up in that situation, they are at their lowest if their not doing it professionally.
I think you're taking this oft-quoted saying too literal I say it in the way I'm willing to help but not to give hand outs, I often give money to Cambodian Children's Fund and IWA Kep IMO I think some users here are trying to justify this woman because of they're own past history. (Not say that's you mate :pardon: )
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

xavoy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:28 am
explorer wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:56 am For example, I would ask her if she would be happy to do a job that Cambodians normally do, and get paid at a rate that Cambodians get paid at. If she wanted to, we could consider possibilities.
Would you do the same if it was a decrepit old dude?
With her, what I do would depend on whether she is a genuine person with a good attitude, caught in a difficult situation. I would not plan to give her hand outs on an ongoing basis. But if I could help her help herself, I would. She may have been planning to return to her home country, but was caught out.

With the decrepit old dude, it would also depend if he was a genuine person with a good attitude, caught in a difficult situation. If it was someone who could go back to his home country and be looked after, but didn't want to, then it is not my problem.
xavoy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by xavoy »

explorer wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:09 pm With the decrepit old dude, it would also depend if he was a genuine person with a good attitude, caught in a difficult situation. If it was someone who could go back to his home country and be looked after, but didn't want to, then it is not my problem.
That sounds all well and good, it's just I've never seen you offer such a service to the many that appear on this forum, that's all.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

CEO could be used to have a positive influence in Cambodia. Someone in the area could go and meet her, then take her for a meal, and find out as much as they can about her. If it appears that she is a genuine person caught in a difficult situation, then they could let us all know. If they find out she has a drug problem, they can let us all know.

If she is a genuine person, a foreigner with a business in the area is likely to give her a job.

But instead, people who have seen 2 photos of her, and don't know anything about her, start saying offensive things about her.

Let's all do what we can to be a positive influence. Let's not say offensive things when we know nothing about a person.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

xavoy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:12 pm That sounds all well and good, it's just I've never seen you offer such a service to the many that appear on this forum, that's all.
Let me know when you know of a genuine person caught in a difficult situation, who is willing to put in the effort to help themselves.
xavoy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by xavoy »

explorer wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:16 pm CEO could be used to have a positive influence in Cambodia. Someone in the area could go and meet her, then take her for a meal, and find out as much as they can about her. If it appears that she is a genuine person caught in a difficult situation, then they could let us all know. If they find out she has a drug problem, they can let us all know.

If she is a genuine person, a foreigner with a business in the area is likely to give her a job.

But instead, people who have seen 2 photos of her, and don't know anything about her, start saying offensive things about her.

Let's all do what we can to be a positive influence. Let's not say offensive things when we know nothing about a person.
No arguments from me there, I was just wonder why you chose this young woman for your generous offer of dinner and drinks when there's so many other people sleeping tough that turn up on this forum and encounter as much or more negative judgement, and if your offer stood for all those ugly old dudes too?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

xavoy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:22 pm No arguments from me there, I was just wonder why you chose this young woman for your generous offer of dinner and drinks when there's so many other people sleeping tough that turn up on this forum and encounter as much or more negative judgement, and if your offer stood for all those ugly old dudes too?
The same thing would also apply if they were Cambodian. I don't know if you know, but I have been assisting students from poor Cambodian families get a university education for a number of years now. There are others that I have chosen not to help. It gets back to being people with a good attitude. It is about helping them help themselves, not just giving handouts. They work part time, so they don't need a huge amount of money. Because I have limited finances, I help those I know, with a good attitude. No doubt, there are others just as deserving that I don't know.

I am sure there are many others who could do something similar.

I have been communicating with General Mackevili for some time about some of the brain in the gutter things said on this forum. In some cases he has had the worst posts deleted. I would encourage others to do the same thing.
xavoy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by xavoy »

explorer wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:49 pm The same thing would also apply if they were Cambodian. I don't know if you know, but I have been assisting students from poor Cambodian families get a university education for a number of years now. There are others that I have chosen not to help. It gets back to being people with a good attitude. It is about helping them help themselves, not just giving handouts. They work part time, so they don't need a huge amount of money. Because I have limited finances, I help those I know, with a good attitude. No doubt, there are others just as deserving that I don't know.
I did not know that, but commend your work and efforts, and thank you for everything you have done for people in need. I know you can't help everyone too, that goes without saying.

I also commend your reaching out to the site owner and mods to have negative posts edited or removed.

Nevertheless, my question still stands.

This woman is literally asking for handouts, and you have no idea about her attitude, yet you offer her dinner and drinks and a friendly ear. I'm just asking why her case was deserving, and why the many ugly old dudes that turn up here in as bad a state or worse, who may be just as or even more deserving, have not received a similar offer?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic