Western Woman Seen Begging on Kampot Roadside

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
thold
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: Western Woman Seen Begging on Kampot Roadside

Post by thold »

Imho this girl seems to be suffering from some type of mental disorder.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Splashback wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:50 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:11 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:14 pm Looks like the same soap dodger that was begging under the bridge in Chbar Ampouv not so long ago
ImageImage

general-chatter/polish-woman-holds-sign ... 36599.html
Good call. So she's been begging since early March and has upgraded to a larger sign and possibly found shitter shoes. I guess Immigration would be slightly reluctant to detain visa overstayers atm, unless they're causing disorder.
Looks like the same shoes, only much dirtier, definitely the same woman. Agree with you about the visa overstay point, if they’re doing no real harm (other than make the place look untidy) why bother with them if it’s not possible to eject them from the country.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Chad Sexington wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:41 pm
Looks like the same shoes, only much dirtier, definitely the same woman. Agree with you about the visa overstay point, if they’re doing no real harm (other than make the place look untidy) why bother with them if it’s not possible to eject them from the country.
Same socks too. . .
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

fazur wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:12 am
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:01 am Some of these losers are using Covid-19 because we all know they'd be begging anyway.

I can't stand these useless looking for a hand out Barang!
why? are expats somehow superior and immune to misfortune?

poop happens to everybody

i dont know her story tbh

I don't know your or her situation actually I really couldn't careless, I myself have never asked anyone for anything call me old school but I was raised to be a man and to always stand on my own feet.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:54 pmI don't know your or her situation actually I really couldn't careless, I myself have never asked anyone for anything call me old school but I was raised to be a man and to always stand on my own feet.
better men than u or me have been reduced to begging and crime to survive

im guessing you have had the benefits of a stable upbringing in a developed country.

are there beggars in your country?

there are in mine

some are addicts, mentally ill or challenged, we shouldnt write off vulnerable people?

expats in dubai and panama scorn all expats here, is it deserved?
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

fazur wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:50 pm
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:54 pmI don't know your or her situation actually I really couldn't careless, I myself have never asked anyone for anything call me old school but I was raised to be a man and to always stand on my own feet.

im guessing you have had the benefits of a stable upbringing in a developed country.

there are in mine

some are addicts, mentally ill or challenged, we shouldnt write off vulnerable people?

Beggars get no sympathy from me.

“You give a poor man a fish and you feed him for a day. You teach him to fish and you give him an occupation that will feed him for a lifetime.”
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:48 pm
fazur wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:50 pm

there are in mine

Beggars get no sympathy from me.

“You give a poor man a fish and you feed him for a day. You teach him to fish and you give him an occupation that will feed him for a lifetime.”
In a first world country you would think there would be no need for begging, apart from the professional beggars. But that of normal people get overlooked at times by the authorities and that of the social system. There maybe some unforeseen reason the street beggar has no sympathy from yourself, your quote has no relevance in todays world, the simple fact is you need money to do the most simple things in life! "To teach him to fish and you give him an occupation that will feed him for a lifetime.” That would firstly cost, and use someone's time, and who would pay the teacher? I know it would have been a possible hypothetical remark from you. Possibly like yourself I have not been one with a silver spoon in my mouth, and believe hard work for a living is the only way forward. Better too to build a safety net, because if not it could be so easy to slip on hard times, unfortunately we can't see the future instore for ourselves, but we can control some of what may come along.
It once happened to me. I had suffered illness on my travels to distant lands, free health care back home, more so because it was the nature of an airborne contagious virus, but no living support allowance, most of my family and friends too didn't want to know or help, but I got over the illness of five years by my own means of the safety net. Not everyone is has lucky to be prepared for such things in todays world.
So I don't un-sympathise of beggars because I don't know the reason they ended up in that situation, they are at their lowest if their not doing it professionally.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, but give him a case of dynamite and soon the village will be showered with mud and seaweed and unidentifiable chunks of fish.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:54 pm
fazur wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:12 am
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:01 am Some of these losers are using Covid-19 because we all know they'd be begging anyway.

I can't stand these useless looking for a hand out Barang!
why? are expats somehow superior and immune to misfortune?

poop happens to everybody

i dont know her story tbh

I don't know your or her situation actually I really couldn't careless, I myself have never asked anyone for anything call me old school but I was raised to be a man and to always stand on my own feet.

Good policy. But you depend on other people all the time. nobody does anything alone.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:13 pm Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, but give him a case of dynamite and soon the village will be showered with mud and seaweed and unidentifiable chunks of fish.
:lol:
Still here, in country...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic