What's my moto worth?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

What's my moto worth?

Post by Electric Earth »

I'm looking to sell my motorcycle. It's a Thai brand knock-off Honda Winn. It was serviced a couple months ago. New exhaust, brake pads, cables adjusted, replaced a spring in the transmission because it wasn't shifting into 1st quite right. It runs well, lights all work, starts right up when cold, plenty of tread left on the tires. It's a cool bike and I wouldn't be selling it if I weren't moving. What do you think I should ask for it? I've heard you can get a Winn for $250, but every one I've seen for sale is posted for $400+. Personally, I think mine is definitely cooler and better than a stock one, but I don't know if that means it's worth any more. I'm not sure how much to ask.

Not sure how why my brain channeled a dad from the 80s and did a finger picture on that last one... Of course I'd take a better one before posting a sale ad.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: What's my moto worth?

Post by fazur »

on FB wins get sold for $300, maybe less

ask for $250 accept what you get offered?
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Does it have papers?
up to you...
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Clemen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:21 pm Does it have papers?
Typical tag and ownership card with matching numbers, but not in my name.

I know the previous owner and it's been driven around Siem Reap for at least a couple years with no issue, so the tag and ownership card are not a problem.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

If the plate is Thai, it's illegal and bike is worth maybe $125/150.

If it's viet plate and card maybe $225/250, if you get lucky.

I bought one of these in excellent condition a few years ago for $20 and a broken mobile phone.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:07 pm If the plate is Thai, it's illegal and bike is worth maybe $125/150.

I bought one of these in excellent condition a few years ago for $20 and a broken mobile phone.
Vietnam plate.
And while I'm happy for your AMAZING, INSANE deal($20? Stolen bike? You can't buy a broken moto for $20.), that doesn't at all reflect or affect the real market value.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Electric Earth wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:22 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:07 pm If the plate is Thai, it's illegal and bike is worth maybe $125/150.

Vietnam plate.
And while I'm happy for your AMAZING, INSANE deal($20? Stolen bike? You can't buy a broken moto for $20.), that doesn't at all reflect or affect the real market value.

No, it came with plate and card, yeah it was a good deal. The owner was leaving and nobody even wanted to give him $50,lol.

The point is your bike is worth $225/250,if you are very lucky. With no flights at the moment, and a buyers market, people have far more choice than normal.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

A Vietnam plate does change the price as its not legally registered in Cambodia.
up to you...
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Clemen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:31 pm A Vietnam plate does change the price as its not legally registered in Cambodia.
Vietnam plate can be ridden across borders. Thai plate usually can't after a short period of time.

This means the Vietnamese reg is more desirable on the wins.

But, not legal reg here, as you said
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:29 pmNo, it came with plate and card, yeah it was a good deal. The owner was leaving and nobody even wanted to give him $50,lol.

The point is your bike is worth $225/250,if you are very lucky. With no flights at the moment, and a buyers market, people have far more choice than normal.
Just saying the $20 is certainly not the norm, and doesn't reflect market value. Great score, though. I agree with you that the timing is certainly not in my favor. I'm sure I'll be taking a loss on this one. I wish I could bring it back to the U.S. with me. You can't buy small bikes there, and I don't really care to ride around on a 750cc+ Harley style cruiser or a 600+ sport bike(not that those aren't fun). The closest thing I'll probably find to a small "run around town" type bike is a non-running project bike from the 70s or 80s for $500 and a bunch of cash to fix it up. I'll be in a car for a while. :cry:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic