What's my moto worth?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: What's my moto worth?

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:07 pm If the plate is Thai, it's illegal and bike is worth maybe $125/150.

If it's viet plate and card maybe $225/250, if you get lucky.

I bought one of these in excellent condition a few years ago for $20 and a broken mobile phone.
I'm still not clear if one can get away with riding a moto with Vietnamese plates or not? What's the story on this?

And why doesn't the Win have much value?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:45 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:07 pm If the plate is Thai, it's illegal and bike is worth maybe $125/150.

If it's viet plate and card maybe $225/250, if you get lucky.

I bought one of these in excellent condition a few years ago for $20 and a broken mobile phone.
I'm still not clear if one can get away with riding a moto with Vietnamese plates or not? What's the story on this?

You can get away with it, until the day a cop decides no.

They only cost a bit above $550 when new (in VN), and are pretty much disposable, hence they are very cheap.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:45 pmI'm still not clear if one can get away with riding a moto with Vietnamese plates or not? What's the story on this?

You can most definitely ride around on a Vietnamese plate most places in Cambodia, from what I've read/heard. I've been doing it for months now in Siem Reap and ridden past many cops with not a glance of question in my direction. The person I bought it from had it for a couple years and said he only got pulled over once for no helmet. The cop said nothing of his plate and he just gave him $5 for the helmet thing and went on his way. No idea if you'd get away with it Everywhere, but it's common.

As for the value, it's driven down due to the number of cheap, shitty knock-offs. A Real Honda Winn is actually a really decent little motorcycle and worth closer to $500 even though Honda doesn't even make them anymore. Some of the knock-offs are actually decent. But some of them, as mentioned, are cheap and practically disposable(I've read mostly the Chinese ones. No surprise there.). It just depends on what you get. Unfortunately the cheap shitty ones drive down the value of all of them. People see the the cheap shitty ones posted for really low prices and then think decent ones are overpriced when the seller is asking more than a few hundred. Mine is a Thai made brand that runs well and has recently been serviced. That doesn't do me much good selling it, though, because the people with the cheap shitty Chinese ones will say theirs is the best one and completely reliable. Not much you can do to show otherwise, unfortunately. They're just not worth more than a few hundred unless it's a real Honda.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I think all that matters is your having fun with the bike. To be fair I don't think Khmer are interested in them, just the Westerners who wish to travel to Veitnam useuly and then resell after their journey. Just now it maybe a loophole in the law, it may carry on so, or it could end up being carried away with the many other motos I see each time the traffic police are checking these days. It's one of those how much do you want to pay to lose.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

I am interested in buying it, I will be in siem reap in 2 days and will post again then
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Dunderhead wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:54 pm I am interested in buying it, I will be in siem reap in 2 days and will post again then
Hit me up when you get here. PM me and we'll work out a time to meet up.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Ok will do but I am a bit of a Luddite and don't know how to pm but I"ll figure it out
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Dunderhead wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:48 pm Ok will do but I am a bit of a Luddite and don't know how to pm but I"ll figure it out
Click on my username, Electric Earth. You'll arrive at my profile page. There should be a section that says "contact." Click on "send private message" and you'll end up at a page that looks basically like making a post on the forum, but it'll just be a private message to a specific member. :good:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

You'll ask for $350 like every other tourist, and settle for $200...

In a seriousness, I'd say $150-250. Some people might be willing to pay premium if it has Viet or Thai license plates, but I'd say over $250 is a stretch. The original ones (new) are worth quite a bit more, but all the Viet/Indonesian/Thai clones you see around are worth like $200, plus no local will buy one which restricts you to tourists or expats on a very tight budget. They're pretty shit bikes, especially older ones.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:07 pm You'll ask for $350 like every other tourist, and settle for $200...
Not a tourist. If need be, I have someone I can leave it with to sell for me, so I don't Have to take too much less than it's worth, which is more than $200. You'd be lucky to get a running bike for that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic