Advice for Tourists: An Impartial, Unpaid, Non Traffic Building Restaurant Review: BBQ Beef Sticks in Siem Reap

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Advice for Tourists: An Impartial, Unpaid, Non Traffic Building Restaurant Review: BBQ Beef Sticks in Siem Reap

Post by WildA »

I dont need to make money by reviewing restaurants, nor do I need to drive traffic to my web site or You Tube Channel. If it sucks, Illl tell you. If its good, Ill tell you. Im impartial.

So, gentle readers, here is one for you. BBQ Beef Sticks. Its over by the Hard Rock Cafe, near where the closed Khmer Grill is. Google it.

Ambiance: Its a shack where they grill the food outside. Lizards on the walls. Wadded up napkins on the floor. Huge tables, some made from logs. Mostly Khmer folk, with an occasional fat sloppy white boy like me and extremely busy at times. You may or may not have napkins and matching chopsticks.

Service: Minimal English, but friendly.

Menu: Sit down and some girl will bring you a plate of BBQ beef sticks, a plate of toasted buttered baguette slices, a bowl of salad and a cup with Ice. There is greet tea on the table already. They have sodas and beer too. There is no menu. She just hands you food.

Food Quality: Sweet tasty juicy flavourful beef skewers in a ginger garlic marinade...ya take one and strip it onto the bread and a hint of salad on it to make a mini sarnie. Then stuff it in your face. Its one of the finest combos ever to snuggle down my gullet. Totally tasty. Here, lets have another. And another. Then a second order. Addicting. 5 burps out of 5.

Price. My last trip there was $5 for two orders, including a $1 tip. I was stuffed even though I am such a disgusting fatbody that I barely resemble a human being. In other words, your "normal" eaters will get out of there for $1.50, cuz the tea is free, and unless you are American, you probably dont tip.

It has great reviews on Google. Worth a trip.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Advice for Tourists: An Impartial, Unpaid, Non Traffic Building Restaurant Review: BBQ Beef Sticks in Siem Reap

Post by John Bingham »

WildA wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:09 am ..unless you are American, you probably dont tip.
Other nationalities tip too, but only an idiot tips at a roadside stall.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: Advice for Tourists: An Impartial, Unpaid, Non Traffic Building Restaurant Review: BBQ Beef Sticks in Siem Reap

Post by Marty »

Good one. I wouldnt go to Mark Wiens or Anthony Bourdain for advice on where to eat. They are clownish and purely for the entertainment value. And I love the way Americans will struggle and try to perform the 15% tip thingy in their heads!
G63
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by G63 »

*Couldn't find (n00b) the LIKE button, WildA... will definitely check out the place next time visiting SR👍
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

John Bingham wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:11 am
WildA wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:09 am ..unless you are American, you probably dont tip.
The troll is strong with this one...
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

John Bingham wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:11 am
Other nationalities tip as additional token of appreciation for good service. Usually the kitchen staff also shares in the tips, not only the black brigade. It is only in the USA that you really need to tip as the owner of the establishement does not provide his staff a living wage. In most civilized countries they do and a tip is an extra.

OTOH, there was a Yank today spending over half a million on a pair of second hand sneakers: https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction ... -jordan-1s
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Hey WildA...that sounds great...I will go check it out.
I was in the hospitality industry over 30 years and I tip anybody I fucking want to....hotel maids...street food joints...cab drivers....I even tip the kid at Angkor Market who carries my groceries to my tuk tuk even though I could carry them with 1 fucking finger. I tip my tuk tuk guys...especially now when Siem Reap is empty...I tip some kid in a hotel for rolling my suitcases down a hall and turning on the AC..
It is just the way things are done in my fucking world.
I don't give a shit if other people don't tip.
In some countries I have been the gratuity was already included in the bill. In many places the tip goes to the restaurant and divided up with the kitchen and all the staff...So, if you want to tip some hot server you must slip it to her on the sly as if it goes in the guest check book it is turned into the manager.
The slight on Americans and their math skills is the typical little cunt jab I have come to love on this site.
My pop taught me the 15% rule in 1965...
Take the total ...take 10% simple and half the 10% and add it to the first number voi-fucking-la 15%.
I tip what I feel like...15% is 1965 ....
Plus, most humanoids carry a smart phone and can figure the tip in a jiffy...
If the place sucks or the tuk tuk guy is a clod who doesn't listen...oh well...no tip....
Thanks WildA for the restaurant tip...
I usually eat at home but it sounds like a good place and is about 5 minutes from my apartment ..
Perhaps, I could buy you lunch there sometime.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

The I hate Yanks shit is awesome...
The don't pay a living wage cut is typical bullshit from someone who doesn't know.
I worked in many places in the USA where the servers made incredible money.
I used to make over $100/night bartending in the 80s.
You all always hate the Yanks until you need something....this year it is ventilators...in the past it was tanks..ammo..soldiers..our blood.
No problem.
I do have a tip for you...
Start paying your 3% to NATO...
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

My father taught me that dropping profanities and using other 'strong' language during a conversation or discussion does not help bringing your points across but rather does the opposite. It can often be observed in murricans who are of the LOO stereoype (Loud - Obnoxious - Obese).
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

BR549 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:50 pm Hey WildA...that sounds great...I will go check it out.
I was in the hospitality industry over 30 years and I tip anybody I fucking want to....hotel maids...street food joints...cab drivers....I even tip the kid at Angkor Market who carries my groceries to my tuk tuk even though I could carry them with 1 fucking finger. I tip my tuk tuk guys...especially now when Siem Reap is empty...I tip some kid in a hotel for rolling my suitcases down a hall and turning on the AC..
It is just the way things are done in my fucking world.
I don't give a shit if other people don't tip.
In some countries I have been the gratuity was already included in the bill. In many places the tip goes to the restaurant and divided up with the kitchen and all the staff...So, if you want to tip some hot server you must slip it to her on the sly as if it goes in the guest check book it is turned into the manager.
The slight on Americans and their math skills is the typical little cunt jab I have come to love on this site.
My pop taught me the 15% rule in 1965...
Take the total ...take 10% simple and half the 10% and add it to the first number voi-fucking-la 15%.
I tip what I feel like...15% is 1965 ....
Plus, most humanoids carry a smart phone and can figure the tip in a jiffy...
If the place sucks or the tuk tuk guy is a clod who doesn't listen...oh well...no tip....
Thanks WildA for the restaurant tip...
I usually eat at home but it sounds like a good place and is about 5 minutes from my apartment ..
Perhaps, I could buy you lunch there sometime.
My tips are easy. $1. Here dude have a $1. Here sweetie have a $1. Sometimes its 50 cents if Im just rounding up. Hell Ill tip a $5 on a $15 check, it matters not.

Use the ignore list on the haters, so the only time you have to see the silliness is when others quote. It improves the overall experience.

More importantly, the girls at my apartment building (im 500 meters away) went to the place on my say so and now they are bringing me back skewers, (ecogreenie wrapped in bannana leaves) on a regular basis, since nothing is more attractive to a Cambodian girl than cheap tasty food. Id probably do better at the bars if I wore a roasted chicken on my head instead of just pasting a Grant on my nose and smiling a lot.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic