Advice for Tourists: An Impartial, Unpaid, Non Traffic Building Restaurant Review: BBQ Beef Sticks in Siem Reap

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Advice for Tourists: An Impartial, Unpaid, Non Traffic Building Restaurant Review: BBQ Beef Sticks in Siem Reap

Post by John Bingham »

BR549 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:00 pm The I hate Yanks shit is awesome...
I don't hate Americans. I don't care much for loud-mouth, blowhard morons of any nationality.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Advice for Tourists: An Impartial, Unpaid, Non Traffic Building Restaurant Review: BBQ Beef Sticks in Siem Reap

Post by WildA »

Flexxman wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:38 pm My father taught me that dropping profanities and using other 'strong' language during a conversation or discussion does not help bringing your points across but rather does the opposite. It can often be observed in murricans who are of the LOO stereoype (Loud - Obnoxious - Obese).
What the fuck dude, are you the bloody forum etiquette police then? You think its only the shit for brains Yanks that curse like sailors, you even been to a Glaswegian Leather Bar during Leather Kilt Leapfrog night?

Hey like pardon the fuck out of me then, in the future, I will in fact make a genuine effort to compose my sentences using only language that suits the ears of the sensitive, so as not to piss anyone off. Guess I wont cite Petronious.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Well this thread really took a turn for no good reason. Yeesh...

Thanks for the heads-up on the food spot! I'll definitely check that one out. Feel free to share any other good local spots where you can get by without knowing much Khmer.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

BR549 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:00 pmThe don't pay a living wage cut is typical bullshit from someone who doesn't know.
No. Coming from someone who Definitely knows(bartended and managed in multiple successful restaurants). The living wage issue is very valid. It's bullshit and only still exists because the government is lobbied and paid to keep it that way. It's unacceptable to pay someone $3/hour. I, too, have had the experience that you have, where I've made good money from tips. I've also had a couple places that I didn't work too long where the tips were shit. And Lots of people have that issue. Your dad taught you to tip 15% back in the 60s. That's awesome(I mean that genuinely). The problem is lots of people are still tipping 10-15%, but the cost of living has gone up a lot. And then there are the douche-bags who don't tip. And there are the restaurants that are hole-in-the-wall cheap places where people eat a full meal for $8. That person is only making $1-$1.25 on that tip. So even if that server flips 40 meals, which is a good shift by many restaurant standards, they only walk with ~$40. No one can live on that. So yeah, there are plenty of people who can do alright on tips, but there are plenty more who struggle to pay their rent. And considering the price of a college degree in the US these days, along with the fact that most jobs that don't require a college degree have been moved overseas, it leaves a Lot of people stuck in the service industry relying on $3/hour and shit tips to try to live on. It's unacceptable. I'm glad it worked in the good ol' days, but things ain't what they used to be. I'd rather companies had to pay their workers a living wage so that I don't have to make up the difference in government assistance. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for government assistance for those who need it, but a whole lot less people would need it if our government weren't so corrupt.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

WildA wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:58 pm
Flexxman wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:38 pm My father taught me that dropping profanities and using other 'strong' language during a conversation or discussion does not help bringing your points across but rather does the opposite. It can often be observed in murricans who are of the LOO stereoype (Loud - Obnoxious - Obese).
What the fuck dude, are you the bloody forum etiquette police then? You think its only the shit for brains Yanks that curse like sailors, you even been to a Glaswegian Leather Bar during Leather Kilt Leapfrog night?

Hey like pardon the fuck out of me then, in the future, I will in fact make a genuine effort to compose my sentences using only language that suits the ears of the sensitive, so as not to piss anyone off. Guess I wont cite Petronious.
Meh. Why would you cite the author of the Satyricon during the reign of Nero, did I miss something? If you had read the thread you would have realised it was a reference to OP telling us how his father taught him to tip as if anybody cares. I don't really care myself if you spice up your posts with such language, it only makes it rather tiresome to read. It sounds a bit like schoolkids talking tough: fuckin here fuckin there, or insert an incurable disease or your mother depending on the culture. And I know that not all murricans do this, in my opinion and experience it is mostly certain types.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

Electric Earth wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:23 pm
BR549 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:00 pmThe don't pay a living wage cut is typical bullshit from someone who doesn't know.
No. Coming from someone who Definitely knows(bartended and managed in multiple successful restaurants). The living wage issue is very valid. It's bullshit and only still exists because the government is lobbied and paid to keep it that way. It's unacceptable to pay someone $3/hour. I, too, have had the experience that you have, where I've made good money from tips. I've also had a couple places that I didn't work too long where the tips were shit. And Lots of people have that issue. Your dad taught you to tip 15% back in the 60s. That's awesome(I mean that genuinely). The problem is lots of people are still tipping 10-15%, but the cost of living has gone up a lot. And then there are the douche-bags who don't tip. And there are the restaurants that are hole-in-the-wall cheap places where people eat a full meal for $8. That person is only making $1-$1.25 on that tip. So even if that server flips 40 meals, which is a good shift by many restaurant standards, they only walk with ~$40. No one can live on that. So yeah, there are plenty of people who can do alright on tips, but there are plenty more who struggle to pay their rent. And considering the price of a college degree in the US these days, along with the fact that most jobs that don't require a college degree have been moved overseas, it leaves a Lot of people stuck in the service industry relying on $3/hour and shit tips to try to live on. It's unacceptable. I'm glad it worked in the good ol' days, but things ain't what they used to be. I'd rather companies had to pay their workers a living wage so that I don't have to make up the difference in government assistance. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for government assistance for those who need it, but a whole lot less people would need it if our government weren't so corrupt.
Depending on country fixed/variable income such as tips also influences the amount of money one can borrow from a bank for a vehicle loan or mortgage. Some countries by law leave tips out of the equation to decide on the amount one can borrow. So even if you make $1000/day in tips you will not be able to use that and it is kept out of the big picture.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Europeans don’t tip. The nanny state has taken away the ability to reward going the extra mile by already padding the bill.

https://www.smartertravel.com/tipping- ... ing-guide/

Only stupid Americans (like me) tip for service. In my opinion, shit service doesn’t deserve a tip. Fantastic service deserve more.

I’m sure that someone on CEO will say that shit servers deserve to get an even bigger tip for their living wage and that I’m starving them to death.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

I love that place and we ate there regularly when we lived in SR. I’m veg and I still loved it. I would eat the papaya salad on the bread with chili, best in SR. My BF loved their beef as well. Definitely one of those local placed I like to support. They hardly speak English but they are very friendly and accommodating.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:44 pm Europeans don’t tip. The nanny state has taken away the ability to reward going the extra mile by already padding the bill.

https://www.smartertravel.com/tipping- ... ing-guide/

Only stupid Americans (like me) tip for service. In my opinion, shit service doesn’t deserve a tip. Fantastic service deserve more.

I’m sure that someone on CEO will say that shit servers deserve to get an even bigger tip for their living wage and that I’m starving them to death.
Nope. In Europe you can always tip for the service too if you want, but it is an additional *extra* for the server. Even without any tips they still receive a salary and don't need to kiss customers' asses to make ends meet. Do you think these servers are really charmed by you?
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Socks talking to themselves yet again.
Transparently absurd, or absurdly transparent.
Reminscent of Scobienz,
Waiting for the Gibbon to chip in with his local handle.
Last edited by nemo on Mon May 18, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic