If you had $1000 to invest....

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

If you had $1000 to invest....

Post by rozzieoz »

If you had $1000 to invest, what would you do with it?

I am an independent single woman now, so I need to make plans!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: If you had $1000 to invest....

Post by Marty »

Gold bullion. Get a bunch of those 16 milligram coins minted by the Swiss. Will be recognized as money after any financial collapse while paper money will not.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

I recently bought some more gold bullion and I think it is still a good buy. I think we have several more months of recession in front of us and I think that gold will continue to rise. The cheapest and easiest way to buy gold here is buying bullion from a local gold seller. You walk in with a thousand bucks and they will cut it to the penny. There is a very low premium over the spot price, and you can walk in at any time and resell it back to them.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Sealed small Swiss Bullion bars.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

I regularly buy the sealed Swiss bars when I am in the U.S. I really like them, and they are no problem to sell here. But, you really can't beat buying bullion from a gold seller here. It has the lowest premium and is the most convertable. I recently bought from Ly Hour Exchange on Charles De Gaulle. That is quite the operation. I think you could walk in there and ask for a few kilos of gold and they would not even bat an eye. We put our money on the counter, and they went to the back and cut a nugget down to the gram.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

A few people here keen on gold however $1000 will not buy you much gold. A tiny piece of gold is easy to lose. Assuming you want to keep it in Cambodia and have access to your money, you might like to consider putting in Prasac Finance who pay high interest and, as the largest and most stable finance company in Cambodia, relatively low risk. Current uncertainty suggests that the other best option is to keep it in cash under your mattress.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

put in 1 year term deposit at Prasac earn 7%

gold is not for you
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Lonestar wrote:I regularly buy the sealed Swiss bars when I am in the U.S. I really like them, and they are no problem to sell here. But, you really can't beat buying bullion from a gold seller here. It has the lowest premium and is the most convertable. I recently bought from Ly Hour Exchange on Charles De Gaulle. That is quite the operation. I think you could walk in there and ask for a few kilos of gold and they would not even bat an eye. We put our money on the counter, and they went to the back and cut a nugget down to the gram.
Interesting. I go to Ly Hour quite often but didn't know they had gold. My fear regarding buying here has always been purity. I can get the purest of gold in the world back home, but wouldn't know how to tell the purity of anything here. Makes more sense to buy an Index.

Anyways: can you afford to lose the money Roz? Are you an aggressive investor? $1000 really isn't much. You could park it in Prasac as mentioned, but you'll only get a few dollars per month (like $3?). If you're willing to be a bit more aggressive, then I'd suggest the stock market.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:08 am
Lonestar wrote:I regularly buy the sealed Swiss bars when I am in the U.S. I really like them, and they are no problem to sell here. But, you really can't beat buying bullion from a gold seller here. It has the lowest premium and is the most convertable. I recently bought from Ly Hour Exchange on Charles De Gaulle. That is quite the operation. I think you could walk in there and ask for a few kilos of gold and they would not even bat an eye. We put our money on the counter, and they went to the back and cut a nugget down to the gram.
Interesting. I go to Ly Hour quite often but didn't know they had gold. My fear regarding buying here has always been purity. I can get the purest of gold in the world back home, but wouldn't know how to tell the purity of anything here. Makes more sense to buy an Index.

Anyways: can you afford to lose the money Roz? Are you an aggressive investor? $1000 really isn't much. You could park it in Prasac as mentioned, but you'll only get a few dollars per month (like $3?). If you're willing to be a bit more aggressive, then I'd suggest the stock market.
I would absolutely LOVE to get into the stock market but have no idea where to start.
And yes, this would be money I can afford to lose.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:08 am

Delta Airlines (DAL) or Carnival Cruise LInes (CCL)? It's hard to decide.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic