If you had $1000 to invest....

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: If you had $1000 to invest....

Post by explorer »

Another thing to think about is, which investment will give you the greatest return. You obviously weigh this up against the risk. You can have great investment ideas where you make money, and by the time you are 300 years old you will be rich. Ask yourself, is there an investment where you can make money faster?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

amatuertrader wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:45 am It's easy to set up an online trading account at etrade.com.

Right now the markets are very confused, lot's of people see it either headed for a boom or a complete collapse.

Some individual stocks seem way too high, but they keep going higher?

The indexes, DOW, S&P 500 and Nasdaq and crude oil have been swinging up and down like a see-saw.

My recent strategy has been not to try and figure the market out, but just jump in and ride a rally or a plunge.

It's fairly safe if you follow up your purchase with a Stop Loss order that will protect you from catastrophe.
I don't mind risking 1% or 1.5% of my investment and am happy with a 1% gain.

A 1% gain is not much money but if you average that once a week for 50 weeks that is a 50% profit.

I like to trade Index Etfs (exchange traded funds) as they are easy to watch at Marketwatch.com.
They also have cool new Ultra Etfs that return a double or triple return as well as Etfs that you use to long or short the market.

I use
TECL = 3X Nasdaq bull
TECS = 3x Nasdaq bear
SSO = ultra S&P 500 bull
SDS = ultra S&P 500 bear
UDOW = ultra Dow bull
SDOW = ultra Dow bear'
GUSH =ultra Oil bull
DRIP = Oil bear

I compare my strategy to surfing.
You get to the beach early in the morning.
If the waves look promising you get in the water.
Often, you have to sit around on your board waiting for a big wave.
At some point you see one that might be worth riding and give it a try, if it turns out to be not much, you jump off and wait some more.
Some days there are not any waves and some days the surfing is fantastic.

I try not to hold a position over night because the markets can change direction quickly as they traded after hours all night by some and I am only allowed to trade 2 hours after close and my Stop Loss orders don't activate on the market after close. In other words, exposing my investment to risks I can't control.
I've been in TQQQ & UDOW. These things are fantastic after a downturn

At some point UDOW needs to receive the heavier weight as it is still significantly lower than pre-corona prices whereas TQQQ is setting new highs. I believe TQQQ is now entering a trading range where it is best to actively trade it, UDOW I think is more of a buy and hold.

I need to stay out of options trading on single securities. There is no need when these ETFs are such great investments.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:04 am With regards to gold - could I buy jewelry instead of chunks of gold?
frank lee bent is the man to talk too about this, he is very knowledge on the subject, also partly still involved in a way I believe. I used to buy and sell only being that of a hobby, but now only have silver jewelry with set gemstones left. For sometime I have been looking for a wood carving to set a small number of certified gemstones I have, having no luck I have now found a stone carver where we will hopefully get the job done. The idea is to have a 300cm Buddha carved and set Ruby, Emerald and so on, into the Buddhas robes.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

explorer wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:19 pm Gold is close to its highest price ever. Nobody knows how high it will go. At some point in time, expect gold prices to drop.
:please:
do you ever get it right? :stir: or just like seeing ur name?

Gold is right now at its all time high

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Gold went to $2070 per oz. At the present time it has dropped to $2038 per oz.
amatuertrader
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by amatuertrader »

Side posted:

*"Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing" W.Buffet

That's interesting that you quote Warren, seeing how he just lost 50 billion dollars with his strategy.

The advice you are giving is old school and doesn't work in this market.
It is extraordinary moment we are in right now and demands new strategies.

Buy and hold for the long term is silly, seeing how the whole world economy could come crashing down.
Doesn't mean there isn't opportunities to make money. Just don't try and predict or out-think this market.
If you try that, it is just a guess on your part and more like gambling than investing.

My strategy is not to try to make sense out of it, just go with the flow, but protect yourself from sudden reversals.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

The price of gold must be adjusted for inflation. So the real gold price is not at an all time high. A new real high is about $2500 US an ounce. And please no posts saying there is no inflation. It is at all time highs in almost every other currency on earth.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:13 pm Gold went to $2070 per oz. At the present time it has dropped to $2038 per oz.
Don't look at the noise, try to figure out the trend, unless you're gambler.
amatuertrader
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by amatuertrader »

I have heard people say that the price of gold, adjusted for inflation has not changed much since the time of Jesus.
Through revolutions, dark ages, world wars and depressions.

However, gold might be a good hedge against economic collapse.
If that were to happen though, gold stocks, paper gold or even gold bullion would be impossible to use.

They say if you are hedging against total collapse the only thing that might be valuable to survive on is small denomination gold coins.
You can buy them on ebay but often not a good investment because of the spread between buy and sell price.

Some people who advocate that strategy also think that small useful items like fish hooks will become hard to purchase and will be valuable to barter for food.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Historically Cambodians, and the Chinese who traded with Cambodians, used gold as currency. I am sure you could still buy and sell with gold today, for example if you were buying land. Gold also held it's value during the wars.

There is a lot of gold buried in Cambodia. People hid it, and many of them were killed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic