U.S. sponsorship question.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Syntaxfree
Expatriate
United States of America

U.S. sponsorship question.

Post by Syntaxfree »

I'd like to move with my family back to the U.S. for 3 years so I'll need to sponsor my Khmer wife. I'd like to begin the process as soon as possible, perhaps when COVID dies down. There are income requirements based on the total number of dependents you have.

It usually take around a year to get an interview. What would happen if I did the paperwork and am half way through the process and my wife gets pregnant again and is likely due before we depart? I have the income to go now but if I had another child I'd be required to make more per year. I know I can make more when I get home as I can always take some hours with my family's business.

I really want to start the process as soon as possible but we also want to have another child. I don't want to wait another year before trying for another baby but I don't want to waste the money and time on the paperwork only to restart or have it rejected. If anyone knows how this works please let me know. Thanks.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: U.S. sponsorship question.

Post by newkidontheblock »

I’ve put off having kids for that reason (among others). Been about 1 year now. Application is at the State Department now. Part of problem is the yearly visa quota. Apply after the quota period expires and have to wait next year to get in. I applied too late.

At least that’s my working theory.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

You are required to show proof that you will not become a public charge.

Form I-134 is the affidavid of support form that the consular officer may request. Tax returns, financial statements, and OTHER PROOF of earnings may be submitted by yourself. If you have a job offer (legitimate) that would constitute support. If you previously owned a business in the US (with financial statements, licenses, etc) that earned money that MIGHT be accepted as support. Graduate degrees and previous quality employment MIGHT be accepted as proof of being able to support your family. Note that MIGHT means its up to the consular officer.

The income level is only 100% of the federal poverty level so if your stuggling to hit that mark you may want to think through what your intending on doing in the US.

And there is no quota on spousal or marriage based visas into the US.

The only other thing I'd add is to NOT make anything up. If you are close to the cut-off financial I'd be upfront about it and document how you intend to earn more money once in the US. I'd note that owning a home outright is seen as a good thing (and sign you won't be living on the dole). Promises and stories won't get you far, but given that your a legitimite family the consular officer will WANT to issue you the visa. So just be honest and document as much as possible.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Syntaxfree wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:39 am I'd like to move with my family back to the U.S. for 3 years so I'll need to sponsor my Khmer wife. I'd like to begin the process as soon as possible, perhaps when COVID dies down. There are income requirements based on the total number of dependents you have.

It usually take around a year to get an interview. What would happen if I did the paperwork and am half way through the process and my wife gets pregnant again and is likely due before we depart? I have the income to go now but if I had another child I'd be required to make more per year. I know I can make more when I get home as I can always take some hours with my family's business.

I really want to start the process as soon as possible but we also want to have another child. I don't want to wait another year before trying for another baby but I don't want to waste the money and time on the paperwork only to restart or have it rejected. If anyone knows how this works please let me know. Thanks.
So you are legally married then?
Still here, in country...
Syntaxfree
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Syntaxfree »

Yes, legally married.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

Syntaxfree wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:39 am What would happen if I did the paperwork and am half way through the process and my wife gets pregnant again and is likely due before we depart?
contraception, or are you catholic?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

US Embassy is open and working. E-mail to missus to create an account with the consular affairs in Cambodia and the steps to prepare for interview.

Of course with the caveat - the account might not be created yet for up to 3 days after this email is sent.

One step closer.

Good luck to the OP.
Syntaxfree
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Syntaxfree »

fazur wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:50 am
Syntaxfree wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:39 am What would happen if I did the paperwork and am half way through the process and my wife gets pregnant again and is likely due before we depart?
No, Amish, lol. I was thinking If it would't interfere maybe we'd try to have another now. I think we've decided to just stay here and save money. A long vacation home will suffice. I'd like my wife to have U.S.citizenship and passport but it can wait.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

If your child is born in Cambodia you get them a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and they are a US Citizen right away. Sometimes you need a DNA test, I didn't for my son born in Cambodia. US embassy in Cambodia I submitted the required docs and picked it up from them when it was done.

If she gets pregnant and doesn't deliver in advance of the visa/trip just make sure they don't restrict travel due to being too late in pregnancy.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Syntaxfree wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:09 pm
fazur wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:50 am
No, Amish, lol. I was thinking If it would't interfere maybe we'd try to have another now. I think we've decided to just stay here and save money. A long vacation home will suffice. I'd like my wife to have U.S.citizenship and passport but it can wait.
Oh, you said "have another" so you may already know the process.

Since they are a USA citizen right away it shouldn;t matter at all for your wife's visa

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topi ... i-130-etc/
https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topi ... nant-wife/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic