Any worthy food courts In Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: Any worthy food courts In Phnom Penh?

Post by fazur »

food courts, best way to spread infectious diseases

maybe not a good choice now

didn't this present shit start in crowded restaurants?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

There was a Hainan chicken joint on 63 near the southern Thai Huot. $3. Not sure if it's still there.

rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

fazur wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:49 pm food courts, best way to spread infectious diseases

maybe not a good choice now

didn't this present shit start in crowded restaurants?
Be careful out there. If we get a second wave, the death toll might double. 0 x 2. :stir:
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Marty wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:28 am Dude chicken and fish are mondo easy to cook at home. If I can do it, any imbecile can. With the added benefit you control everything that goes into it. Far less chance of food poisoning.
Have to agree. For Cambodia, your best bet is to do some simple home cooking, grill/fry some meat, steam some vegetables, get some nice brown bread.

Actually, I used to buy a half a roast chicken at Lucky Supermarket and make chicken sandwiches.

Roadside food is something I feel is best avoided, for obvious reasons.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Username Taken wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:24 pm I don't think anyone has attempted to answer the question of 'worthy' food courts in PP.

The only places that I can think of that might resemble a food court are/were at Soriya and Sovanna malls. Whether the food was worthy is questionable but it's definitely worth a try.

Don't go to Sovanna, it closed down about a year ago. The Sorya Center Point food court still exists, I only know from going to the wrong floor once or twice, I wouldn't rate the food in those places.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

When it reopens there is a reasonable food court at basement level in NagaWorld2. Prices aren’t too bad.
It’s a bit out of the way though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

jah steu wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:27 am When it reopens there is a reasonable food court at basement level in NagaWorld2. Prices aren’t too bad.
It’s a bit out of the way though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naga 2 is as central as you could be in Phnom Penh from my perspective. Haven't seen a food court the few times I walked around there only restaurants. Will have another look
BiggieBig
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BiggieBig »

I would love to cook in my hotel room but that is unfortunately not possible. For the time that i plan on looking for places to live in i won't be able to do that. I had experiences of eating street food long ago in Thailand and i never ate it again. Its a great way to ruin a week or two. Alot of posters said i can buy a whole or half roast chicken for cheap so i think i will do that. That should be sufficient for the day! I see chicky has a whole chicken for $10 which is a bit high. Hopefully their are cheaper options. How much did you buy the chicken for at the street or lucky supermarket?

Any Fish on the rotisserie? I know in Thailand they open the fish up and put salt and lemon inside of it. A whole fish is less than $5 and delicious. Do you have that in PP? thanks again
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

Take a walk on St 13 outside Kandal Market in the early evening. Those chickens rotisseried over hot embers of charcoal look pretty good. I have never tried, so I don't know the price or quality.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

BiggieBig wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:40 am I would love to cook in my hotel room but that is unfortunately not possible. For the time that i plan on looking for places to live in i won't be able to do that. I had experiences of eating street food long ago in Thailand and i never ate it again. Its a great way to ruin a week or two. Alot of posters said i can buy a whole or half roast chicken for cheap so i think i will do that. That should be sufficient for the day! I see chicky has a whole chicken for $10 which is a bit high. Hopefully their are cheaper options. How much did you buy the chicken for at the street or lucky supermarket?

Any Fish on the rotisserie? I know in Thailand they open the fish up and put salt and lemon inside of it. A whole fish is less than $5 and delicious. Do you have that in PP? thanks again
It maybe a good time to look for a place, apartment, room, I have seen many "rent" signs on places around the city just of late, and its the first time I have seen that of the quantity of places available. There are advantages to be able to cook for ones self, firstly to eat what you like and that its prepared and cooked to your liking, and the quantity you like to have, mainly too it is clean.
Yes, some meals can be made cheaper then eating out, but some, depending, also may not save you much, because of food pricing in general.
Some members on the forum will be able to eat all manner of Khmer foods from street venders and the likes, I am not one of those in-crowds, being that I can eat some but not all. You mentioned Thai street food, that I can do, here I have tried before from time to time but been at times violently sick, putting my experience down to many food stalls not being clean. But there are certain things such as the chicken barbeque stalls are okay, on the markets where you see people eating, the whole cooked chicken will cost $5. But then again look at the outside street seating on an evening or daytime around the market areas, there are some cheap and tasty eats to be had.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic