2 WORK PERMITS?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
MERICAN
Tourist
United States of America

2 WORK PERMITS?

Post by MERICAN »

Can a foreigner hold two separate work permits?
Say, one for teaching and one for food vending (street cart)?

Also, is it possible to travel there from the U.S. and obtain a business visa? or are they still closed...

I understand Vietnam is re-opening schools.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 2 WORK PERMITS?

Post by John Bingham »

I don't know why anyone would need two work permits, they aren't particularly easy to get. One for teaching might be possible but they won't give you one for a street cart unless it's part of some registered business.
You can not travel here from the US, especially if you are a US citizen. US citizens are banned from entering. Hopefully this will change soon.
You can not get a business visa on arrival. Some can get an E type 30 day visa and extend that to EB, ER etc depending on credentials.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Come here, get an E visa upon arrival. Once you get your teaching job, you'll be able to get a work permit and renew your visa under whatever E type you need. That's what I did(and other teachers have done). It was no problem(minus the fact that the shit place I went to, which had a good reputation, got my visa renewed as the wrong type, but that's another story).

That said, I certainly hope you're talking about future plans. Based on your comments about it being open for US citizens, it sounds like you're thinking of coming here now? Good luck with that. Cambodia is Not the place for a foreigner to get a job right now. I'm not sure how you'll get a teaching job with schools being closed until at least the Fall. If schools were to bring English teachers back on staff right now, they'd probably start with the ones they just let go due to school closures. And street food carts - Who would you sell food to? There are no tourists anymore. I think half of the food carts in Siem Reap have disappeared, and those are locals. If they can't make it, I highly doubt a Cambodia newbie foreigner can. No offense to you personally. I don't think it would wok for anyone. It's a bad time to move to Cambodia. Probably the Worst time to pick. Check the status in six months, with plans to move here in Fall at earliest If schools open back up. Personally, I'd wait more like a year. Who knows how the school situation is going to go when they do open again. And personally I'd forget the food cart thing all together.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

No, you cannot have 2 work permits.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Barang are not allowed to operate street carts...that law goes back to a year or two.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

BR549 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:48 am Barang are not allowed to operate street carts...that law goes back to a year or two.
There is no law about it, the government talked about banning certain jobs for foreigners but rescinded it.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
MERICAN
Tourist
United States of America

Post by MERICAN »

OK thanks.

I am in the U.S. now (May 4th), but I spent the last 3.5 years in Siem Reap.
Out of work teacher. See my post "Trapped Teacher"

Worked out well. Apparently the U.S. Govt has issued pandemic unemployment benefits for people who lost their jobs due to COVID or are sick from it. I didn't even work in the U.S. except for a short period of time.

In complete disbelief, I found out I am eligible even though I was not working in the USA.

I now get... wait for it...

$ 196.00 on a debit card for food every month; free housing and a cash payment of $867.00 PER WEEK for 39 weeks. In addition I get another $ 215.00 cash while in free housing for essentials.

My first payment was processed and I received a check for past weeks totaling $ 6537.00
$ 867.00 more to process tomorrow 16 May. Then every week until late November.
$ 215.00 per week starts May 21st

Utter shock.

39 weeks starting mid-feb puts me into middle of November.
Plane ticket; new clothes; new gear; new computer; 1 year visa; new moto; apt paid 1 year; 1 year food cash reserve
and I will still max-out the $10,000.00 cash-on-hand limit for international travel restrictions when I come back.

Total shock and disbelief.

I have been working my ass off in Cambo, giving up 12 hours per day and getting paid for 6, living tough for years. Just to buy food, gas and entertainment. School checks varied 800-1300 per month. Not complaining. It's a good life.

Now I sit back and collect $ 3700.00 per month while sitting on my ass.
They even canceled the work search requirement due to COVID. They can't evict you; garnish these benefit wages or stop them for any reason.

Perspective.

I take back all of the bad things I have ever said about the great nation of the United States.

See ya in Nov.

-tails up
MERICAN
Tourist
United States of America

Post by MERICAN »

Correction:

$ 867.00 per week x 39 weeks / cash
$ 215.00 per month x 6 months / cash
$ 196.00 per month x 6 months / food - debit card

Ridiculous. I feel a little guilty, but will put it to good use.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

i hope you understand ur going to pay it back in taxes, yes?
MERICAN
Tourist
United States of America

Post by MERICAN »

TOTAL: $ 33, 279.00

$ 1176.00 / food card

$ 32,103.00 / CASH
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic