2 WORK PERMITS?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
MERICAN
Tourist
United States of America

Re: 2 WORK PERMITS?

Post by MERICAN »

HAVE TO PAY TAXES.
YES. NO GETTING AROUND THAT ONE.
WILL FILE FOR THEM BY APRIL 15, 2021.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

MERICAN wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:47 pm OK thanks.

I am in the U.S. now (May 4th), but I spent the last 3.5 years in Siem Reap.
Out of work teacher. See my post "Trapped Teacher"

Worked out well. Apparently the U.S. Govt has issued pandemic unemployment benefits for people who lost their jobs due to COVID or are sick from it. I didn't even work in the U.S. except for a short period of time.

In complete disbelief, I found out I am eligible even though I was not working in the USA.

I now get... wait for it...

$ 196.00 on a debit card for food every month; free housing and a cash payment of $867.00 PER WEEK for 39 weeks. In addition I get another $ 215.00 cash while in free housing for essentials.

My first payment was processed and I received a check for past weeks totaling $ 6537.00
$ 867.00 more to process tomorrow 16 May. Then every week until late November.
$ 215.00 per week starts May 21st

Utter shock.

39 weeks starting mid-feb puts me into middle of November.
Plane ticket; new clothes; new gear; new computer; 1 year visa; new moto; apt paid 1 year; 1 year food cash reserve
and I will still max-out the $10,000.00 cash-on-hand limit for international travel restrictions when I come back.

Total shock and disbelief.

I have been working my ass off in Cambo, giving up 12 hours per day and getting paid for 6, living tough for years. Just to buy food, gas and entertainment. School checks varied 800-1300 per month. Not complaining. It's a good life.

Now I sit back and collect $ 3700.00 per month while sitting on my ass.
They even canceled the work search requirement due to COVID. They can't evict you; garnish these benefit wages or stop them for any reason.

Perspective.

I take back all of the bad things I have ever said about the great nation of the United States.

See ya in Nov.

-tails up
you must have really been dong something right>
i know many people that have been put out of work since mid march in the states, (brother in law is one of them) that are still waiting for any kind of relief.

What is/was ur secret? :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

after a bit of research i call BS tour claim, if it were true, 50% of american expats would head back if they could,( I know i would)
The purpose of unemployment benefits is to partially replace lost wages, therefore, the amount of money allotted to someone largely depends on the amount of income they were making before losing their job.

In Massachusetts, where resident can qualify for up to $742 a week, for up to 30 weeks, it’s based on the earliest four of the five complete calendar quarters before your filing date. For example, if you’re applying in April 2020, the base period January 1, 2019, through December 31, 2019.

In New York, the maximum allotment is $504 a week, and the base period determination is the same as Massachusetts. However, there’s also an alternate base period for those who don’t meet those earnings requirements:

• You must have earned wages in at least two of the four calendar quarters that make up the base period.
• You must have earned at least $2,600 (in 2020) in the highest-paid quarter of the base period.
• Your total earnings in the base period must be at least one-and-a-half times your earnings in the highest-paid quarter. If you earned more than $11,088 in the highest-paid quarter, the agency will use $11,088 as your earnings during that quarter. In other words, your total earnings during the base period need not be higher than $16,632 ($11,088 x 1.5), no matter how much you made in your highest-paid quarter.
https://heavy.com/news/2020/03/unemploy ... um-amount/

Unemployment insurance does not cover a full paycheck—typically, it covers about 45 percent of an individual's income. The national average weekly benefit is between $300 to $400 each week.

"It depends very much on the person's level of earnings," said Wayne Vroman, a labor economist at the Urban Institute. "Your income over the past year is the basis of the size of the payment."
NO where is there any mention of food payment benefits and everywhere it states, "depending on your past earnings"
since u admit u have been out of the states for 3 1/2 years ....... :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:10 pm What is/was ur secret? :stir:
I'm going for a triple combination of ...
a) Voted Trump
b) White
c) NRA membership

:stir:

Damn good deal mind, lucky sod(s).
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

What you're saying obviously doesn't add up. It's ridiculous. Otherwise, please Do tell your secret. There are Lots of people struggling right now who have never found this highly secret approach you did. I, for one, could use the help when I first get back to the US. I'm sure it'll take me a month at least to find a job given the economic situation, during which time I'll still be draining my savings on rent, security deposit, food, gas, mandatory car insurance, etc, etc. I worked in the US up until this past year(for about 20 years...), and if I get anything out of unemployment, I'm sure it'll be practically nothing.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
MERICAN
Tourist
United States of America

Post by MERICAN »

Nothing ridiculous about it.
Food is for food stamps BTW $ 196 per month. Has nothing to do with Pandemic Unemployment.

I have been back to the USA withing the last 3.5 years.

I broke some bones and returned. While back in USA I tutored. I also tutored before leaving to go to Cambodia initially-

In Cambodia I lost my job as a teacher due to COVID.

In USA I am in quarantine and cannot tutor.

Many people I have spoken with were not happy with me...

There is a major racist sentiment with a lot of Americans. It is in our blood. This Pandemic has only fueled hatred for asians. I am getting a fair amount of negativity for this. Why should I get money? I left the country... for Cambodia! and now I come back and get free money ?!

I pose this... I work outside of the U.S.; I don't use their hospitals, drive on their roads, pollute their air, deposit my trash... etc but I AM REQUIRED to pay taxes on my earnings in Cambodia. Why should I, then not be allowed to reap some benefits from this when things go South? I can. The state agrees with me and so has the attorney I spoke with.

Facts:
I am a teacher both in USA and in Cambodia.
I pay taxes on my earnings from Cambodia.
I lost my job as a teacher due to COVID.
I cannot work in the USA due to COVID.
I am eligible.

Not all are... nurses; hotel workers; police officers are considered essential and still work. Not eligible.

I challenge anyone to find me an exerpt that states I cannot include wages from another country. This whole thing doesn't even go off of wages... you can make nothing and still be eligible - even if you fall below the threshold that would entitle you to receive normal unemployment benefits.

Now just waiting for schools to open and I come back. The longer I wait, the more i make. Spending nothing right now.

And yes...

Trump :) Love him. Would give him an oily shoulder massage and I'm not even gay.
White :) Nice tan though.
NRA :) 2nd amendment. What part of "shall not be infringed don't you understand?"
MERICAN
Tourist
United States of America

Post by MERICAN »

within not withing

typo

before i get attacked for being a teacher that cannot spell within...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i still think ur full of shit....and get fuck all, (well maybe the $1,200) from unemployment as u weren't employed in the states.

tutored ? Did u pay tax, social security payments??

If you were not employed IN THE STATES before covid ht you can make no claims for unemployment

Wanna show us ur check for 6537.00, you can blackout ur name, just leave where its coming from,the date and the amount
otherwise

BULLSHIT
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

Was under the impression that Americans had to earn a lot more than 800-1300 a month before they had to pay taxes back to the States. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In which case he hasn't paid any taxes, which further suggests the guys just a crap troll.
MERICAN
Tourist
United States of America

Post by MERICAN »

Once again, You don't have to earn anything.
Read up on it.
You can literally make ZERO dollars.
As long as you were negatively impacted by COVID you are eligible.
Sick, death of a family member, loss of job, etc etc

GO USA
Trump leading the way / 3 trillion trickled down to lil ol me
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic