Swiss Man Dies on Phnom Penh Street

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Swiss Man Dies on Phnom Penh Street

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: On May 10, 2020 at 12:30 am, a Swiss man was found lying on the sidewalk on Street 93, Village 2, Sangkat Phsar Thmey II, Khan Daun Penh. He has been identified as 57-year-old FELIX LEO STEINMANN lodging at Sangkat Boeung Prolit, Khan 7 Makara, Phnom Penh.
A witness said that he had talked to the man a few hours before his decease. Meas Channa Veasna said, “At 10:30 pm on May 9, 2020, I was walking down street 93 and saw a foreigner sitting on the sidewalk.I bought a bottle of pure water for the victim to drink, and the victim told me he was German, and I walked away. Then when it was reported that someone had died, I went to see the victim, and it was the same man."
Later that evening, some people reported seeing a foreigner lying down on the sidewalk, so Seng Neang, a village chief, went to check the scene, but soon noticed that the man had died. He then called the police.

The police commission examined the body and concluded that the foreigner had died of a heart attack (which may be caused by heart disease.) The body was taken to Wat Teuk Thla Funeral Home, Sangkat Teuk Thla, Khan Sen Sok.
RIP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Daniel1912
Tourist
Germany

Re: Swiss Man Dies on Phnom Penh Street

Post by Daniel1912 »

Lots of cardiac death in the last time
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

That's a new one, a Swiss citizen telling someone he's German. Usually it's the other way round.

RIP to the deceased.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

bad month for the Swiss.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Alex wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:43 pm That's a new one, a Swiss citizen telling someone he's German. Usually it's the other way round.

RIP to the deceased.
About 60% of Swiss are German speakers.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Yobbo wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:26 pm
Alex wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:43 pm That's a new one, a Swiss citizen telling someone he's German. Usually it's the other way round.

RIP to the deceased.
About 60% of Swiss are German speakers.
That doesn't mean that they identify as German nationals.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

RIP to the deceased.
I think there was something lost in translation here, I have never, ever heard a Swiss saying he was German. And, to be honest, I have never heard a German say he was Swiss, so the “usually it is the other way round” is highly unlikely.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

hanno wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:32 pm I think there was something lost in translation here, I have never, ever heard a Swiss saying he was German. And, to be honest, I have never heard a German say he was Swiss, so the “usually it is the other way round” is highly unlikely.
That was a bit tongue in cheek and not really relevant to this thread, but among Germans holidaying in France in the 1980s, it wasn't uncommon to claim being Swiss. That way, you could justify speaking German, while also having a good excuse for speaking decent French and - most importantly - dodging annoying discussions about Germany's Nazi past. From what I've been told, it worked wonders.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

The problem with that is that the German and Swiss German accents are way different.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

hanno wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:00 pm The problem with that is that the German and Swiss German accents are way different.
Swiss and German are two different languages with different vocabulary and grammar. When a Swiss speaks german (most of the Swiss do speak and understand german) there is an accent to it, but very rarely a German speak swiss or even understand it.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic