The future of tourism in the coronavirus era: Asia may hold answers to what's ahead

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

The future of tourism in the coronavirus era: Asia may hold answers to what's ahead

Post by phuketrichard »

Good read from CNN

highlights

The coronavirus pandemic has had a devastating impact on travel, with the UN World Tourism Organization estimating that international tourism could decline by up to 80% this year over 2019, putting at least 100 million jobs at risk.
In Thailand, where tourism makes up 18% of the country's GDP, the Tourism Authority expects visitor numbers could be down 65% this year.

New Zealand and Australia have committed to creating a "travel bubble" allowing visits between the two countries -- once it's safe to do so. China has begun allowing domestic travel, although its borders are still shut to most foreigners. Thailand is considering special tourism resorts that double as quarantine zones.
But experts warn that even with new initiatives, it could take years for travel to rise to pre-Covid-19 levels. And even when it happens, we might never travel in the same way again.

Australia and New Zealand have committed to a travel corridor, which is not expected to come for a few months. In Europe, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have announced plans to open their internal borders for citizens of the three countries from May 15.

Vietnam and Thailand could look at creating a travel corridor over the next few months, according to Thailand-based Mario Hardy, chief executive of the nonprofit Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA).
Aviation analyst Brendan Sobie expects to see similar arrangements within Europe and North America.

Surveys show that Chinese tourists are keen to stick with what they know and not travel too far, says Bill Barnett, the managing director of global hospitality consultancy C9 Hotelworks. That means Thailand, which attracts around 11 million Chinese tourists a year, could be one of the first to open up travel to China.
China may be less interested in opening up travel to places where there was anti-China sentiment during the outbreak -- places such as Australia, says Freya Higgins-Desbiolles, a senior lecturer at the University of South Australia who researches tourism.
"I think tourism is going to be damaged by the geopolitical games or strategies that had been played out to take advantage of the crisis," she says.

Another suggestion is that passengers carry immunity passports, which signify if they are immune to coronavirus. China has already rolled out a form of that -- all citizens have a QR code that changes color depending on their health status. They need to show it to get into restaurants and shopping malls.

But again, there are issues that need to be worked out.
The immunity passports rely on the idea that people who have recovered from Covid-19 can't be reinfected. But for now, there's no evidence that they have antibodies that protect them from a second infection, according to the World Health Organization.

Even if they have developed immunity, it's not clear how long that would last. Also, we don't yet have widespread antibody testing, which would be necessary for this to work.
The immunity passports could also be used to indicate whether a person has been vaccinated against coronavirus -- but it could be 18 months or more before there's a vaccine on the market, and even longer before there are mass vaccinations around the world.

"My understanding is you can't expect international travel to go back to what it was before, really until we have a vaccine," says Higgins-Desbiolles.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... suKHM9ujPA

One thing they mention which is spot on
we wont be traveling the way we used to for a long time, if ever again
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: The future of tourism in the coronavirus era: Asia may hold answers to what's ahead

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

" Thailand is considering special tourism resorts that double as quarantine zones".

Good idea, let's use Phuket for the 11m Chinese. :thumb:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The future of tourism in the coronavirus era: Asia may hold answers to what's ahead

Post by Clutch Cargo »

"My understanding is you can't expect international travel to go back to what it was before, really until we have a vaccine," says Higgins-Desbiolles.

I admit I may be glass half empty on this but I've resigned myself to be 'stuck' in Cambodia (and I mean that in a good way) and won't be able to return to Australia for a visit for a long, long time. The 14 day quarantine upon entry is the killer for international travel imo quite apart of whether airlines resume services.

I'm also wary of the notion that international travel will depend on a vaccine being developed. Sure, a huge effort is underway to develop one but I've also read a number of expert opinions saying that one may never be forthcoming...in the same way as they haven't been able to develop one for dengue or HIV. Rather, anti-virals may be the answer but that would involve a shift in thinking about lockdowns with regard to overseas incoming travellers.

Already we are seeing new outbursts as restrictions are lifted and so they are considering to re-lockdown. So when do you ever get to un-lockdown given the wuhan virus can never be eradicated? Seems to me either the mindset re values and saving lives needs to be reset or we will continue to live in lockdown 'bubbles' unable to travel to other countries.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:02 pm " Thailand is considering special tourism resorts that double as quarantine zones".

Good idea, let's use Phuket for the 11m Chinese. :thumb:
Thinking outside the box there Thailand... :dm:

Are those resorts the ones where they lock you into your hotel suite and leave meals outside the front door or, will they let you 'mingle' with the other unfortunate tourism resort souls so that you can share the wuhan virus? :facepalm:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:09 pm

I admit I may be glass half empty on this but I've resigned myself to be 'stuck' in Cambodia (and I mean that in a good way) and won't be able to return to Australia for a visit for a long, long time. The 14 day quarantine upon entry is the killer for international travel imo quite apart of whether airlines resume services.

I'm also wary of the notion that international travel will depend on a vaccine being developed. Sure, a huge effort is underway to develop one but I've also read a number of expert opinions saying that one may never be forthcoming...in the same way as they haven't been able to develop one for dengue or HIV. Rather, anti-virals may be the answer but that would involve a shift in thinking about lockdowns with regard to overseas incoming travellers.

Already we are seeing new outbursts as restrictions are lifted and so they are considering to re-lockdown. So when do you ever get to un-lockdown given the wuhan virus can never be eradicated? Seems to me either the mindset re values and saving lives needs to be reset or we will continue to live in lockdown 'bubbles' unable to travel to other countries.
We've never made a successful vaccine for a coronavirus before. This is why it's so difficult
(see below)

It wont be any time soon and certainly nowhere soon enough to prevent the destruction of millions of tourism jobs before the year is out, if the travel restrictions remain in place.

Places like Cambodia need to make a brave decision and open up, their lovely demographic age structure gives them a big advantage over countries with 30% of their population over 55. Besides, if it didn't cause them any trouble from December to now, what are they frightened of?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020 ... r/12146616
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

There is lots of talk about opening “travel bubble corridors” between zero-case countries. I think this will happen fairly soon.
AUS, NZ, KoW, HK, Macau will soon have reached the 28-day threshold of no new cases. Soon Vietnam and perhaps Korea, Thailand and, for rather political reasons, China will be on the list too. This would work for Cambodia as the vast majority of tourists are from those countries anyway.

I doubt however that any travellers from Europe or the US will be allowed into most Asian without quarantine anytime soon.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

theKid wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:40 pm There is lots of talk about opening “travel bubble corridors” between zero-case countries. I think this will happen fairly soon.
AUS, NZ, KoW, HK, Macau will soon have reached the 28-day threshold of no new cases. Soon Vietnam and perhaps Korea, Thailand and, for rather political reasons, China will be on the list too. This would work for Cambodia as the vast majority of tourists are from those countries anyway.

I doubt however that any travellers from Europe or the US will be allowed into most Asian without quarantine anytime soon.
Thailand might let in AUS & NZ tourists, but our government might not let us out.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Would this all create a very interesting, stronger divide between Asia and the west?
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

All we need is that elusive vaccine...
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

techietraveller84 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:04 am All we need is that elusive vaccine...
or to sacrifice the vulnerable for the world economy in the meantime
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic