Authorities Discover That Filling in Cambodia's Waterways and Wetlands Causes Flooding

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Authorities Discover That Filling in Cambodia's Waterways and Wetlands Causes Flooding

Post by John Bingham »

I don't see how filling in Boeung Tumpun and Boueng Choueng Ek could flood half the people in the city. Some exaggeration going on there.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Authorities Discover That Filling in Cambodia's Waterways and Wetlands Causes Flooding

Post by Brody »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:55 am I don't see how filling in Boeung Tumpun and Boueng Choueng Ek could flood half the people in the city. Some exaggeration going on there.
Oh, so now you're a hydrologist?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The lakes are both in Meanchey district and are bordered by a high dike to the north. You don't have to be a hydrologist to work out that far less than a million people would be affected. How about you stop jumping down my throat every time I post and stick to posting funny memes and pictures of airplanes?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

There is big international coverage on this report: 'Smoke on the Water'.

Flood risk for 1 million in Phnom Penh as wetlands destroyed
By Rina Chandran BANGKOK, July 27 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - More than one million people in Phnom Penh face the risk of increased flooding and loss of livelihoods as wetlands in the Cambodian capital are destroyed to build apartments and industries, human rights groups warned on Monday. Developments - including the ING City township - will reduce the Tompoun wetlands to less than a tenth of its 1,500 hectares (5.8 sq miles), and lead to the eviction of more than 1,000 families who live on its edge, activists said in a report.
Reuters | Updated: 27-07-2020 10:49 IST | Created: 27-07-2020 05:31 IST

By Rina Chandran BANGKOK, July 27 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - More than one million people in Phnom Penh face the risk of increased flooding and loss of livelihoods as wetlands in the Cambodian capital are destroyed to build apartments and industries, human rights groups warned on Monday.

Developments - including the ING City township - will reduce the Tompoun wetlands to less than a tenth of its 1,500 hectares (5.8 sq miles), and lead to the eviction of more than 1,000 families who live on its edge, activists said in a report. It would also impoverish thousands of families who farm and fish in the wetlands in the city of 1.5 million people.

"The wetlands sustain local communities and play a vital role in Phnom Penh's waste management and flood prevention," said the report from Equitable Cambodia, LICADHO, the Cambodian Youth Network, and land rights group Sahmakum Teang Tnaut (STT). "Millions of Cambodians will likely be affected by the potentially devastating impacts of destroying the wetlands."

Phnom Penh, situated on the banks of the Tonle Sap, Mekong and Bassac rivers, is already highly vulnerable to floods, particularly in the rainy season from June to October. Lakes and wetlands such as floodplains, mangroves, and marshes regulate water flow, minimize flooding, purify water and replenish groundwater, said Diane Archer, a senior research fellow at the Stockholm Environment Institute in Bangkok.

"City authorities should recognize wetlands as an important resource to be protected and integrated into the urban environment," she told the Thomson Reuters Foundation. "Yet in many cities, expansion takes place without the necessary enforcement of urban planning or in-depth environmental impact assessments," she said.

Across rapidly expanding Asian cities, demand for land for housing and office blocks has put greater pressure over land. Cambodia has endorsed the international convention on wetlands protection, yet about half its wetlands have disappeared over the last 15 years, according to conservation group Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (WWT).

In Phnom Penh, 15 of 25 lakes have been infilled, with about a third of the Tompoun wetland infilled so far, STT said.
https://www.devdiscourse.com/article/in ... -destroyed
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:35 pm There is big international coverage on this report: 'Smoke on the Water'.
Or big international exaggeration according to resident hydrologist John Bingham
John Bingham wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:28 pm How about you stop jumping down my throat every time I post and stick to posting funny memes and pictures of airplanes?
How about you stick to teaching photoshop or whatever the fuck it is you do and stop pontificating about shit you know fuck-all about?

You're quite knowledgeable about Khmer history but as Dirty Harry so deftly posited.....

Last edited by Brody on Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I lived beside that lake for years while they started developing it, visited it twice with environmental experts, read extensively on it and wrote about it while people were still concerned about the miniature (by comparison) Boeung Kak. I didn't proclaim to be an expert on it but do know a bit, unlike you. How about you try to contribute something useful instead of your constant sniping?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:23 pm but do know a bit, unlike you.
You have no idea about what I do or don't know. Don't make assumptions about people.

It would have been better if you had initially qualified your exaggeration claims by stating that you've "visited it twice with environmental experts, read extensively on it and wrote about it."

Or whatever the hell you're now claiming.

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

When I first moved to Phnom Penh the streets regularly flooded with water. Back about 10 years there were plenty of times I had to wait for a road to drain to go somewhere. Starting about 2-3 years ago, it got a lot less common. I think it's just because there's less rain. Is my guess accurate? I don't know where to look up the rainfall records.

I moved up country last year. So I don't know what it's like in PP now. Here in Siem Reap there has been surprisingly little rain this "rainy season." I am new here. But I talked to locals, they said it's well below average.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:28 pm The lakes are both in Meanchey district and are bordered by a high dike to the north. You don't have to be a hydrologist to work out that far less than a million people would be affected. How about you stop jumping down my throat every time I post and stick to posting funny memes and pictures of airplanes?
Just from what living round there, yes there is a dyke, but seems there are pumping stations that pump the water out of the city to the other side. If the other side is no longer a lake, what happens then?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Well with all this dirt being dug up and shit being thrown around by forum members , I can see these lakes being filled up very fast.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic