'Unbelievable': Young driver caught allegedly speeding 308 km/h on Ontario highway

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

'Unbelievable': Young driver caught allegedly speeding 308 km/h on Ontario highway

Post by hanno »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: 'Unbelievable': Young driver caught allegedly speeding 308 km/h on Ontario highway

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I'm surprised a stock Merc would even go that fast. I can't zoom the picture on my phone and I'm not a huge car guy, but it looks like a C class?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: 'Unbelievable': Young driver caught allegedly speeding 308 km/h on Ontario highway

Post by Marty »

Not so unbelievable, there are plenty of cars that can do it these days and Canada highways are are straight and devoid of cars and you can see for miles ahead. So as long as not under the influence of something, not totally unsafe, but Id' worry about hitting a deer, moose or elk and wrecking the car that way.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:26 am I'm surprised a stock Merc would even go that fast. I can't zoom the picture on my phone and I'm not a huge car guy, but it looks like a C class?
It is a C class but it looks like some tuned model.

Edit: a Mercedes C63 which, al least in Germany, is limited to 150 mph.
Last edited by hanno on Mon May 11, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

It's a Mercedes C63 coupe. Can't tell if it's the hot AMG version.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.5563678
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Best I ever did in Canada was 200 KMH on that stretch of Hwy 1 between Burwash Landing and Destruction Bay along Kluane Lake in the Yukon. No cops and if you can keep your average speed up, you can make Haines Junction by dark if you leave Anchorage, AK early enough. Ive done that in a stock 300C AWD.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:46 am It's a Mercedes C63 coupe. Can't tell if it's the hot AMG version.

Looking at the right side, it looks like this is indeed the AMG version.
Still, that is some speed.

Apart from flying, the fastest I have gone was slightly over 400 km/h-in the Maglev connecting Shanghai airport and the city.

I recommend that way for us “older folk,” if you want the experience.

In a car, you need the testosterone of a young guy, a lot of it.
Last edited by yongchi on Mon May 11, 2020 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

That bit of road between Hamilton and TO is about 8 lanes wide in most sections. No danger of hitting any animals. This kid will have street cred up the yang when he gets out.
This is the same stretch of highway that claimed one of the great hockey players Tim Horton. It was 1973 and Tim was driving back to TO after a game in Buffalo in his Pantera. He was loaded and lost cotrol of the car at high speed.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

canucklhead wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:27 am That bit of road between Hamilton and TO is about 8 lanes wide in most sections. No danger of hitting any animals. This kid will have street cred up the yang when he gets out.
This is the same stretch of highway that claimed one of the great hockey players Tim Horton. It was 1973 and Tim was driving back to TO after a game in Buffalo in his Pantera. He was loaded and lost cotrol of the car at high speed.
Im old enough to remember watching him play. I would put him up against ANY of the modern tough guys, Tim Horton was a brute. He was a hockey player!

The good old days.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

yongchi wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:26 am
ExPenhMan wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:46 am It's a Mercedes C63 coupe. Can't tell if it's the hot AMG version.

Looking at the right side, it looks like this is indeed the AMG version.
Still, that is some speed.

Apart from flying, the fastest I have gone was slightly over 400 km/h-in the Maglev connecting Shanghai airport and the city.

I recommend that way for us “older folk,” if you want the experience.

In a car, you need the testosterone of a young guy, a lot of it.
Fastest I did in a car was 270 km/h in a Toyota Supra. I was selling cars to American soldiers (not too proud of that episode, but it was good money) and the cars were not speed-limited as the German market cars were. I stopped shaking about two hours later.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic