Is it dangerous for white people outside of a main road?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Is it dangerous for white people outside of a main road?

Post by Duncan »

Marty wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:15 am It is totally more dangerous off a main road. And the more off the road you are, the more dangerous. And the whiter you are, the more dangerous.
Yea, skin cancer can kill you if your not careful.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Marty can't you ride/drive on a dirt road, as for locals they are alot more welcoming and friendly off the beaten track, that's what makes Cambodia such a great place to travel.
I'd say same as country folk throughout the world
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Sounds good, I'll wear sunscreen and travel all the Cambodian dirt roads once travel is allowed again.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

There is a chance those people had only ever seen a handful of foreigners and were worried you were going to rob their home. lol. If you're concerned it's easy enough to source a concealable knife or a big one, your choice. I would carry most definitely carry one. they are handy to cut fruit or many different things in the bush farming. Hopefully, you'd never need it for protection, but it could save you as well.

When I first went to my wife's home province I could see far away in the back of rice patties, lots of colorful flowers. I thought it was a poppy field. I told them I wanted to go walk out there to have a look around. Her family was worried about my safety and wouldn't let me go which cemented the thought of "oh shit, it is a poppy field!" I soon realized, when I snuck away and walked out there, the flowers were lotus flowers blooming everywhere. haha.

What the other person said above I've also found to be true. The further from the city I get the friendlier the people. I get waved over and offered beer all the time. Lots of stares while on my moto because they may not have seen a white person before or are just not used to it.
Still here, in country...
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

I totally want to explore the poppy fields. How about a meat cleaver for self defense?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Just carry a pack of cards
Spoiler:
my weapon of choice
with you and you will get many waves and invites from friendly old ladies to sit down with them for a chin-wag or more.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Marty wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:15 am I totally want to explore the poppy fields. How about a meat cleaver for self defense?
Best weapon for self defense in the country side is a case of beer and a smile
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

To understand reality, you need to listen to the Cambodian people. They are giving you good advice for your own safety.

If you believe your guess is true, and what the Cambodian people say can't be true, you are living in fantasy land.

To the people on this forum, who understand reality, please speak up more before the op gets killed.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:23 am To understand reality, you need to listen to the Cambodian people. They are giving you good advice for your own safety.

If you believe your guess is true, and what the Cambodian people say can't be true, you are living in fantasy land.

To the people on this forum, who understand reality, please speak up more before the op gets killed.
Welcome back!

A return well recognizable in style I must admit.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Hey Explorer - good to see you back. Where did you go on your holiday?

PS - i have spent many years exploring in some the most remotest parts of Cambodia. I feel, and in fact am, far far safer out there than in Phnom Penh or in my provincial capital.
All my life i have been attracted to "dangerous places", "dangerous situations" and "dangerous people" but they have turned out to be pussies compared with inner city living - anywhere.
imo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic