New instant moto hire company launches... GO2

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

New instant moto hire company launches... GO2

Post by jah steu »

A new electric moto hire business seems to have started with a very soft opening. They have motos for hire at about ten locations around the city.
You pay 3c a minute while you are actually riding the bike.
They have a free 120 minutes promotion going at the moment.
It’s all controlled from an App you download for android or iPhone.
I tried one tonight. The App works well, giving the locations of all the bikes. You use the App to switch the bike on and off. You credit your account by Wing, credit card or ABA account.
The bikes are lightweight and easy to ride. You can set three power levels, the highest giving very brisk acceleration and a top speed of almost 50kph.
The range is about 30 kms.
Two helmets are included in the storage box.
When you finish your hire you just leave the bike parked anywhere legal.
Interesting business idea, I hope it survives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: New instant moto hire company launches... GO2

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Cool business model.

Really shit electric bikes though.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Is parking in front of @jah steu shops a legel spot ? In which case, would totally use their moto to go there :beer3:
Don't forget the water buffalo
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah, I'm guessing they need to be parked in designated spots, not just wherever... Though that's how most car rental/sharing operations work (my brother used one for years, often electric vehicles), I doubt it would be viable to do so here as some guy would take it from Kandal market and dump it somewhere in Russei Keo in the middle of nowhere.

Then again, it would be cheap and easy for them to put it somewhere else and a lor of these car sharing companies started small (preorder on phone by calling), and now they've got fleets literally everywhere in the city, no need to walk more than a block before you get one. There are several back home. These types of companies tend to work better when linked to cards, as then they can charge you if you leave it outside their designated grids. I hope it works out for them as the pricing is competitive.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

Wont work unless they have charging points everywhere a bike is left.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I took this photo in 2015 in Seim Reap. I don't no exactly when they first started there renting the electric motos,
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

AndyKK wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:26 pm Image
I took this photo in 2015 in Seim Reap. I don't no exactly when they first started there renting the electric motos,
I remember that e-bike business up for sale for stupid money a year or so later.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I thought bikes grew legs and ran away in Cambodia? How are they going to stop that from happening if the can be left wherever the renter wants to leave them.

Also, if you fancy a trip to the boonies and the battery goes flat, you are just going to leave it where it drops and then the owners have a recovery issue to deal with. I hope they have good trackers on them.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:35 pm
AndyKK wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:26 pm Image
I remember that e-bike business up for sale for stupid money a year or so later.
Thing is for a foreigner to have independence in Angkor Park, they are not allowed to ride a moto, only Khmer can do so. But you could ride a bicycle or this electric bike, but again at $20 per day rental.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

reliable electricity? no

cops ask for a licence? yes

good idea for any neighbouring country not here

next bright business model: Riyadh surfing club
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic