No more fines for using headlights during the daytime

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

No more fines for using headlights during the daytime

Post by beaker »

Is it true ?

"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: No more fines for using headlights during the daytime

Post by rexwell »

I bought a new moto about a year and a half ago. It came with a copy of an official document to allow the running lights (didn't specify headlights) to be used during the day as it is part of the design and maybe mandatory in some countries. I usually turn the headlights on when I'm on the highway; I notice others do too. But back in about 2009, I got pulled over after getting my bike washed and the cleaner may have bumped the light switch on. I think it was 2500 riel. One 1 less stupid law.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I've been running a high beam on all my bikes for ten years.

They haven't cared about that rule for a long time.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Does anyone know what the original reasoning behind this law was? I’ve heard about it for years, but never knew if it was enforced or even real. Apparently it is.
lucathenomad
Expatriate
Italy

Post by lucathenomad »

Yep,most of my police stops in KOW were because of headlights on during day.
I usually protested and was most times let go, paid a buck or two when I was not in mood for discussion!
Story I tell when I go back home,as it does not seem a problem if you are without lights at nightime :facepalm:
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

lucathenomad wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:48 pm Yep,most of my police stops in KOW were because of headlights on during day.
I usually protested and was most times let go, paid a buck or two when I was not in mood for discussion!
Story I tell when I go back home,as it does not seem a problem if you are without lights at nightime :facepalm:
If an area has sufficient streetlights, then you aren't required to have lights on at night.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

This will be a big blow for the 1 dolla cops..but sure they will find a new way to compensate immediately. I have always seen those mini fines as a kind of tourist tax that need to be paid for time to time.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Jerry Atrick wrote:I've been running a high beam on all my bikes for ten years.

They haven't cared about that rule for a long time.
Same (on highways). Passed a million police checkpoints and they've never stopped me. In the city I've seen them get people though.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

truffledog wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:53 pm This will be a big blow for the 1 dolla cops..but sure they will find a new way to compensate immediately. I have always seen those mini fines as a kind of tourist tax that need to be paid for time to time.
1 dolla cops have been history for a long time already.....

And since May 1st they're called 12 1/2 dolla cops.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic