Expat Robert Molenaar Accused of Skipping Out on Bill

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Expat Robert Molenaar Accused of Skipping Out on Bill

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:45 pm
angkorjohn2 wrote:this person Raphael seems to work for a company that manages a few apartments. He has allowed the tenant to use his deposit as his last months rent, I am guessing that he was a trusted tenant up until then and also the property company presumably had checked his apartment to see it was all in good condition and had agreed to give him his full deposit back, which was then used for rent. Perhaps he should review how he manages his properties instead of sending one-sided arguments to forums and chalk it up to experience and stop being such an amateur, and in future use the deposit to cover such instances as damage or 'skipped electric' bills like any normal landlord would.
It still sucks and we all let out guard down at times. It was posted in the Facebook scammers page, so it's not like he's bitching about it everywhere.
Maybe but I still see the fault lies with the property manager. Whenever I have left apartments everything is shown to the landlord, any issues are dealt with and deposits returned after I have left following an inspection. Often I have asked for any outstanding electric/water to be taken out of the deposit. It is the absolute basic practise of being a landlord/property manager. By returning his deposit early he lost any leverage he had, that is what a deposit does, covers instances like this.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:49 pm 1 months rent plus $100 for electric would seem a simple fix for this problem.

If a tenant tried to circumvent this by withholding a part of the penultimate payment plus all of the last payment, you know you are going to be in trouble with this tenant and I would get the master fuse removed at the meter in the street.
Sorry Doc, I have to disagree why pay an extra $100 for electricity on top of your deposit? what do you think one months deposit is for? I have been fortunate with my landlords but I know many who have been refused return of their deposits of $400+ for spurious wear and tear issues or problems that pre-existed, unscrupulous landlords know the tenant will just end up walking away knowing they have no leg to stand on here (courts, police). As I have said your deposit is just that and to be used to cover any damages or bills if the tenant leaves, and if the apartment is fine then it should be refunded in full. I certainly would refuse to hand over any additional deposits and would never pay more than one months, I have walked away from signing for places when they suddenly asked for two months deposit.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

The landlord found out the hard way unfortunately (by returning the deposit early) that you cannot trust everybody, , & is just warning people to be wary of the named thief

I don't know if there is any way of recovering the money from the thief, assuming he can be traced & found ?
PHofer
BANNED
Switzerland

Post by PHofer »

Please delete this. Robert paid this already two days ago.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

PHofer wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:35 pm Please delete this. Robert paid this already two days ago.
How do you know ? Do you know him ?
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Don't worry folks!

It's only money!

:color
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.