What a lot of Barley..China threatens Australia's exports

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: What a lot of Barley..China threatens Australia's exports

Post by fazur »

what oz did was sell high percentage sin sectors to china. they dedicated resources to them, making them dependent.

stupid move

diversify markets, cut traditional profit margins, lower salaries for a few years, especially for ceos, stop buying chinese goods

id pay double for a quality oz product happily

fuck china
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:50 pm "Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Oy Oy Oy" redneck types
In Straya, they are called 'bogans', not redneck types. :hattip:
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

The state of the play
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Sorry Rex, no matter what these three clowns ^^^ say on Rupert Murdochs Sky loopy loop, it means very little to me.

Bloke on the left - one of the grubbiest and most openly corrupt Labour party politicians that Australia has ever produced. Long retired. An out and proud self confessed liar and a whiskey faced fat toad. i saw him a couple of weeks ago driving a dirty ten year old Holden.
Bloke in the middle - a hate promoting shock jock. Former aust rugby coach who was once arrested for having sex in a London public toilet with a rent boy when the team was on tour.
Bloke on the right - a fundamentalist christian redneck member of parliament who an inquiry last year found had spent a full 1/3 of the past few years mongering in Angeles Phillipines instead of being busy representing his constituency back home. Paid for by the Aust taxpayer. AFP found he had a reputation there for being particularly fond of very young girls.

I don't take my guidance from blokes like that.
Self promoting egoists more interested in feeding red meat to the hounds rather than coming up with meaningful solutions.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:11 am Sorry Rex, no matter what these three clowns ^^^ say on Rupert Murdochs Sky loopy loop, it means very little to me.

Bloke on the left - one of the grubbiest and most openly corrupt Labour party politicians that Australia has ever produced. Long retired. An out and proud self confessed liar and a whiskey faced fat toad. i saw him a couple of weeks ago driving a dirty ten year old Holden.
Bloke in the middle - a hate promoting shock jock. Former aust rugby coach who was once arrested for having sex in a London public toilet with a rent boy when the team was on tour.
Bloke on the right - a fundamentalist christian redneck member of parliament who an inquiry last year found had spent a full 1/3 of the past few years mongering in Angeles Phillipines instead of being busy representing his constituency back home. Paid for by the Aust taxpayer. AFP found he had a reputation there for being particularly fond of very young girls.

I don't take my guidance from blokes like that.
Self promoting egoists more interested in feeding red meat to the hounds rather than coming up with meaningful solutions.
Stern fair enough, I don't know these figures politically or their backgrounds. Politics is a dirty game that attracts the dirtiest of people. What I'm more interested in the fact that China is fucking with Australia, and now they are threatening to put the squeeze on NZ for daring to recognize Taiwan. If I had to wait for Mr. Perfect to read the news, I'd be waiting a long time. I remember one young metrosexual NZ news reader, who was jailed for using meth. I remember him confessing that he would often read the news while high. The fact that China locked down Wuhan, but left the Wuhan International airport open says a lot to me. Also, the amount of land, processing plants and water rights China owns in Australia is just staggering. The buying up of Pacific Islands for fishing, tourism and mineral rights will prove a danger in the future. All I can do as an individual is when purchasing is look for the Not Made in China label. Happy Level 2 Day NZ!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:37 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:38 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:53 pm Prevent Chinese from studying in Oz, diversify your markets and say screw China.
Approximately $12 Billion (AUS) is brought in by Chinese students studying in Australia every year. How can you diversify your markets when you are selling so many resources to China?
Our resources and services whether that be uni education, barley, coal, iron ore, wine, beef whatever.. has a value in the market. Now it is the case that Australia has gravitated in the last 20 odd years to China to a point where 38% of all our exports go there because presumably they either paid a higher price, take higher volume, sign longer contracts whatever.. But nevertheless what we have to offer has value and wanted by other countries.. not just the PRC..look at the other emerging SE Asian countries Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines et al. We already do good trade with Japan, Korea and Taiwan.

But when a customer becomes feral in the sense that they threaten to cancel those contracts and/or boycott your products coz we don't necessarily follow and agree with their ideology and propaganda and set up Australia as an example to the world by punishing us, then, it seems that we are better off as member BKL said above.. to diversify our markets elsewhere and reduce our dependence on them.

Now, that may mean short term pain to move to different customers and supply lines and even perhaps accepting lower prices for some of our goods or terms that are not as favourable. However, I do think that Australia does need to wake up and realise that accepting best price and volume from 1 key customer adds a lot of risk. Something that is becoming clearer and clearer in recent times. If we diversify, in the longer term we won't have to kowtow to any one country and we will better off for it imo.
Right on the money. I know it's not PC to say, but I do think the West should band together on this and pull our heads out of our asses. The realist in me thinks Huntington's predictions (Clash of Civ) were rather accurate, and that if we want to preserve our way of life and values, we'll need to fight for it (not necessarily militarily, but ideologically and economically). That might mean taking a hit at first with higher prices and so on. I'm fully aware of the US's faults and past wrongs, but I think you need to get your brain checked if you think that China would be an improvement to all if it were to become the new hegemon. The US is basically the least shitty option. It's no secret that our values are under siege, and as such Europe, US, Canada, Australia and NZ should strengthen their ties and help brings others to our side through more practical means than the whole "democracy" first approach which has obviously failed and holds no real immediate practical value to the average person who lives in a developing country. We need to be pragmatic, but if we let China manhandle Australia (or constantly fail to confront when they manhandle other countries or issues such as SCS), I fear it'll just be the beginning.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The Member for Manila is doubling down..

Nationals MP invites Chinese ambassador to front trade inquiry

Mr Christensen, the chair of the joint standing committee on trade and investment growth, personally wrote to Beijing's top representative in Canberra, Cheng Jingye, requesting he attend a trade inquiry to answer questions about economic boycotts.

Good luck with the 'invite'... :lol:

Interestingly, here's the Prime Minister's response:

Asked about Mr Christensen's decision to write to the ambassador directly on Friday, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said he would not involve himself in the activities of parliamentary committees.

"They are sovereign in their own right and they conduct their own activities," Mr Morrison said. "It would be very inappropriate for me to do so, and I wouldn't, nor would I pass commentary on it."

Full story: https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 54tbv.html
Spoiler:
For anyone interested in the Member for Manila's exploits: https://truecrimenewsweekly.com/hold-on ... ilippines/
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

"Stuck in the Middle
Distrusting both the U.S. and China, midsize powers are trying to band together. It won’t be easy."
"An intriguing story in the New York Times reports that—in the face of disenchantment with China and distrust of the United States—middle-size countries, led by Australia, “are urgently trying to revive the old norms of can-do multilateralism.”

The spark for a new sort of transnational coalition—a third way that avoids the dominance of today’s superpowers—comes from the COVID-19 crisis, which has cemented the already-widespread view of China’s Xi Jingping as an authoritarian bully and Donald Trump as an empty suit, both of them, in their own ways, incapable of global leadership."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... china.html
up to you...
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Clemen wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:04 pm Donald Trump as an empty suit
lol

monstra mihi bona!
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

"China is Australia's largest export market.

Barley exports were worth $1.5 billion in 2018 but dropped to $600 million in 2019 amid the drought and an Australian push to diversify into more markets."

"David Littleproud is the second minister in successive days to admit to being unable to talk to high-ranking Chinese government officials as trade tensions between the two nations continue to fester.

It comes as China is tomorrow expected to announce an 80 per cent import tariff on Australian barley, having accused exporters of dumping their crop in that country's market."

Full: https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-05- ... l/12258274
up to you...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic