Victory in Europe Day - 75th Anniversary.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Victory in Europe Day - 75th Anniversary.

Post by BR549 »

Len Deighton wrote a great book called SS-GB..published in 1978 when I was 19..It was superb.
The 2 guys who are the writers of the Daniel Craig James Bond flics wrote a great tv series a few years ago...In it the Germans had taken England prior to tbe USA getting involved. A Scotland Yard Detective is immersed in the takeover and must decide to either help the resistance or maintain his status working with the Nazis.
Since, I read this book over 40 years ago I have often wondered what Europe would look like had this actually happened.
Had the Japanese Empire expanded would communism ever gained a toe hold in China?
What language would Aussies be speaking?
I grew up with men who never thought they were heroes. Woody Haynes..21 yrs.
old..Co-pilot of B-17s ..had to bail out and hide for 6 months until he and his crew were rescued....in the European theater.
My Dad William M. Army-Airforce..was in the 2nd wave at Omaha beach...20 yrs old.
William Riddle..21..Bill was a fighter pilot over France ..22 years old.
My step dad James L. his Army supply ship ran aground in 1945 off the coast of Okinawa after a Typhoon hammered the armada he was part of.
He was 24..
VE day is a reminder of how freedom is not free.
It is interesting that after the final solution was stopped that so many folks on this very site hate the Jews and so many members of the UN wish the final solution was restarted.
75 years since Victory in Europe was declared...
Interesting that this comes in the midst of another World War brought on by a far more evil empire than the
3rd Reich...
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

hanno wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:15 am
fazur wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:31 pm i often wonder what the people who mad the ultimate sacrifice would think of the world today

was it worth it?

they thought so or knew it was then
It was! Don’t fancy goose-stepping too much. Some Germans are beginning to forget, but I will be forever grateful for the sacrifices made by the allies to get rid of that madman. Not everything is perfect in today’s world but it sure as hell would be a lot worse if someone had not checked Hitler.
I didn't mean removing hitler, sorry

I meant do present govts treat their citizens with the respect and care the soldiers died for?

maybe 2 or three countries, the rest are corrupt scammers

did millions fight the devil to live under other devils?
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

BR549 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:41 am Len Deighton wrote a great book called SS-GB..published in 1978 when I was 19..It was superb.
The 2 guys who are the writers of the Daniel Craig James Bond flics wrote a great tv series a few years ago...In it the Germans had taken England prior to tbe USA getting involved. A Scotland Yard Detective is immersed in the takeover and must decide to either help the resistance or maintain his status working with the Nazis.
Since, I read this book over 40 years ago I have often wondered what Europe would look like had this actually happened.
Had the Japanese Empire expanded would communism ever gained a toe hold in China?
What language would Aussies be speaking?
You might like to watch a few classics about that kind of vibe, although always western-centered. Original books are better, as always.

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

tightenupvolume1 wrote:I wonder how prince Charles got all those medals he was wearing today whilst laying a wreath ?
Helicopter pilot, jet pilot, parachutist, minesweeper captain. Also honorary Field Marshall, admiral of the fleet, Marshall of the Royal Air Force.

http://www.townandcountrymag.com/societ ... y-photos/
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Russian Embassy in Cambodia Holds 75th Anniversary Journals Presentation
09/05/20 07:14
Phnom Penh (FN), May 8 – The Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Kingdom of Cambodia held a presentation of four issues of journal “News from Russia”, dedicated to the 75th anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War (to be marked on 9 May 2020).

The event started with the introductory remarks by H.E. Mr. Dmitry Tsvetkov, Russian Ambassador to the Kingdom, who elucidated the significance of the war for defending the Motherland and noted the vital need preserve the memory of the feats of labour and arms accomplished by the Soviet warriors, fathers and forefathers of the today’s Russians.

He noted that the year 2020 which is assigned by the Russian Presidential Decree as the Year of memory and glory, and it is vital to remember great heroism and the role of Russia in finishing the Second World War.

Head of the Russian diplomatic mission stressed the commitment to counter attempts of some governments to establish unilateral dominance, impose sanctions against the dissents, as well as fight falsification of history, which is happening in some Western countries.
http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 41-18.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

don't forget how the soviet union saved the world from hitler

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... om-hitler/

they conveniently didn't mention that uncle joe stalin was worse, insane and stoopid
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Have read two books on the Channel Islands during the war and had a chippie mate from Jersey who confirmed the facts.There was minimal resistance, the girls liked the Germans, the men were paid well to build fortifications and the tomato growers became millionaires.
Locals worked alongside slave labourers who died in their thousands but no one seemed to care. There are memorials there to the dead prisoners.
The Channel Islands were British and the people accepted the occupation and did well out of it. Who is to say the Poms on the mainland would have behaved any differently?
It was the Russians who ripped the guts out of the German Army. But it was still a long hard slog even to get away from the beaches let alone to get to Berlin.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Thank you USA for saving us from the Nazis.
Thank you USA for saving us from Japan
Thank you USA for saving us from Communism.

in futuro

Thank you USA for saving us from China.

Oh and thank you USA for using your blood and treasure to build the world we have today.

Your welcome.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

WildA wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:28 am Thank you USA for saving us from the Nazis.

in futuro

Oh and thank you USA for using your blood and treasure to build the world we have today.

Your welcome.
Yeah, which air force won the Battle of Britain, again?
Japan, I'll give you that one

re japan, i'm guessing you havent read this:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Pearl- ... ry-1688287

china? the fat rady hasn't sung yet bro. but tbh i wish America would, just don't think they have the will anymore, too much money involved and their god is money

or this, re 'your blood and treasure' to build the world, :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_invasions
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

fazur wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:47 am
WildA wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:28 am Thank you USA for saving us from the Nazis.

in futuro

Your welcome.
Yeah, which air force won the Battle of Britain, again?
Japan, I'll give you that one

re japan, i'm guessing you havent read this:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Pearl- ... ry-1688287

china? the fat rady hasn't sung yet bro. but tbh i wish America would, just don't think they have the will anymore, too much money involved and their god is money

or this, re 'your blood and treasure' to build the world, :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_invasions
You guys can thank us for your Constitution and for keeping the Ivans off your back, and for keeping your national food of Lutefisk alive. Basically, you guys are just a little bigger version of Minnesota. Now run along and play until we call you. Keep practicing with our jets too.

PS...Although I doubt you will be able to, please tell us in your own words how the Battle of Britain "won" WW2? The Fritzes just give up did they?
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic