Things that make you go hmm...Grade 1 Maths

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Things that make you go hmm...Grade 1 Maths

Post by IraHayes »

Can you answer the following 6 questions?
I am posting the page of the book as this is all the student would see.

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Things that make you go hmm...Grade 1 Maths

Post by Duncan »

IraHayes wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:26 pm Can you answer the following 6 questions?
I am posting the page of the book as this is all the student would see.

So what is the problem , It looks easy enough.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

that's ridiculous for a first grader!!!
Duncan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:32 pm

How old are you? I hope it's easy for you.
I'd love to see you make a video showing these "easy" questions being answered by the girls you claim to be raising.
Still here, in country...
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I've just run it past my son who is 6 years old (Grade 1); although the diagram is diabolical and needed a quick explanation, once he got the concept of counting out the grid spaces/units he was off to the races no problem.

What really gets me going is a lot of the online courses that kids are having to do is from the USA where they still live in the dark ages of the imperial system. Absurd.
:-)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

a) In route L, Paul goes up 2 and across 8...10 squares etc
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Ravensnest wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:33 pm that's ridiculous for a first grader!!!

I'd love to see you make a video showing these "easy" questions being answered by the girls you claim to be raising.
I'm pretty sure my eleven year old can answer that with no problems. Yes, she is a genius . I have taught her that even when there is a stupid question ,, there is always a stupid result that can be used for the answer.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Duncan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:52 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:33 pm that's ridiculous for a first grader!!!

I'm pretty sure my eleven year old can answer that with no problems. Yes, she is a genius . I have taught her that even when there is a stupid question ,, there is always a stupid result that can be used for the answer.
Great- please record the whole thing. her walking up, you showing her and answering. that would be great. I like to see geniuses at work :popcorn:
Still here, in country...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Ravensnest wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:07 pm
Duncan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:52 pm

Great- please record the whole thing. her walking up, you showing her and answering. that would be great. I like to see geniuses at work :popcorn:

even when there is a stupid question ,, there is always a stupid result that can be used for the answer.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

Spigzy wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:48 pm I've just run it past my son who is 6 years old (Grade 1); although the diagram is diabolical and needed a quick explanation, once he got the concept of counting out the grid spaces/units he was off to the races no problem.

What really gets me going is a lot of the online courses that kids are having to do is from the USA where they still live in the dark ages of the imperial system. Absurd.
:-)
and measurement varies from state to state,fluid oz for example is different in one state than another, Ibelieve.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

Of course the real answer is Paul is sick with Covid and the school is closed for months. Quarantine police would bust his ass no matter which route he took.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic