Why do expats of Thailand say Cambodia is where to go as a last resort?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Why do expats of Thailand say Cambodia is where to go as a last resort?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Only people who have done time can deal with being in a developing county. Thai expats want to tell friends back home they're "exotic", but also want their favourite blend of Tesco coffee and access the all the usual western fast food chains.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Obviously I’m on the “Cambo is better” side of the coin; but to be fair to Thai expats, for many their only experience of Cambodia was a visa run to Poipet... so I see their point from that angle.#Shithole

My sister was one 20 years ago; when she finally got to Phnom Penh & Siem Reap, she changed her mind about Cambodia fairly quickly.
Last edited by Spigzy on Fri May 08, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:48 am Only people who have done time can deal with being in a developing county.
Hmm, I think I would prefer SE Asia to prison. But that's just me.
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by glennb6 »

I joined this forum shortly after the Thai martial law, eh, lock down started. In conjunction with ME giving the TV forum the boot after those bunch of liberal nanny state pussies twice put me in 'time out' for expressing my opinions with vigor, I wanted to see what other forums were like. Surprisingly, the discussions here are normal and civil like a bunch of adults. Cool :)

Also wanted to start gathering info on Cambo in the event I decided Tland was going to become less friendly and accommodating, particularly with respect to the flu scam. My impressions after a lot of reading on this site and looking over real estate sites; Siem Reap looks pleasant enough. I see enough 1bd apartments at same or less than I pay in Tland yet they are more modern and a bit larger. And it wouldn't be so bad to free up the 800k thb from Thai bank visa hold requirement, and apparently at 62yrs young, a 1yr visa with 1yr increment renewals looks like it would be doable.

Funny, the Commandant of Chonburi province and Deal Leader General Prayut have made plenty of press about new restrictions, social-conditioning rules, and further travel restrictions. There's news of Thai CV vax medicine coming soon too. This has place has gone from a livable military pseudo govt to a full on military control state all on the CV scam. Sadly, it looks to me just from going out and around and watching, the Thai people are accepting their new restrictions as normal, (but I don't know if there is a segment of the pop that opposes).

Apparently Pattaya govt is considering (per an article in The Thaiger) requiring IDs for admittance to bars/clubs in order to facilitate contact tracing, screening required to enter walking street or other bar streets, and limiting the number of patrons allowed to enter a bar/club to facilitate social-conditioning. The last one won't be a problem as there are no tourists, and I doubt there will be any for the clubs/bars given these proposed new rules.

I don't go to bars/clubs and only infrequently to restaurants, so I would not be personally effected but the whole idea of these restrictions is full on NUTS. Now if Tland were to decide and require all people get a vax, that would be my cut off point. Heil Prayut and ByeBye... we'll see.

Sorry for the short rant... So, how's it currently looking in Cambodia re laws, restrictions, etc., and any thoughts on what follows?
Agarwal.Aditya
Expatriate
India

Post by Agarwal.Aditya »

Flu scam? You are serious?
BiggieBig
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BiggieBig »

Marty wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:18 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:11 am I think it is a really dumb argument and anyone who engages in it is a fool.
Cambodia and expats in Cambodia are obviously far superior. everybody knows that.
It is a scientifically proven fact that both Cambodia and expats in Cambodia consistently rank at the very highest levels.
Care to elaborate? In BKK i never found any true expat friends, far and few between. Most of them looking to get one up on another - fake materialistic big city stuff. You know how that goes

Even for younger people 30s-40s in the expat scene good too?
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

BiggieBig wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:13 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:11 am I think it is a really dumb argument and anyone who engages in it is a fool.
Cambodia and expats in Cambodia are obviously far superior. everybody knows that.
It is a scientifically proven fact that both Cambodia and expats in Cambodia consistently rank at the very highest levels.
Care to elaborate? In BKK i never found any true expat friends, far and few between. Most of them looking to get one up on another - fake materialistic big city stuff. You know how that goes

I think he was being sarcastic.

But as a real answer, Im fat, old, nasty and retired and made some expat friends rather easily. Thats the 40 above educated financially secure scene.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

BiggieBig wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:13 pm

IMO, Stern is being ironic/taking the piss/trying to be funny :mrgreen: - because of course expats in Cambodia don't like being looked down on by Thai expats. All expats are not the same anyway.
As for Thailand vs Cambodia, it's a non-argument - each to their own. You can't compare apples and oranges.
I like the more relaxed and very un-western lifestyle in Cambodia, but that's me and what I like. Live how you want and don't tell others that it's 'better'. Even as expats, we are all diifferent.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

....very un-western lifestyle in Cambodia...
surely ur not referring to PP where there is an overabundance of western style malls, clubs, bars, full service apts, gated communities with fancy villas, restaurants.
Its only the garbage and motos on the streets that make it still 3rd world :beer3:

Both have there +'s and -'s
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'm a long-term Thailand expat, living and working in Bangkok. I enjoy visiting Cambodia and do so frequently (the present times of coronavirus pandemic excluded, obviously). I could imagine spending more time in Cambodia and other countries nearby once I'm retired.

I think Thailand expats who bash Cambodia expats and vice versa need a reality check - to regular people back home, it makes little difference whether you're in one country or the other one. Both countries share a reputation of attracting shady expats, so in the big scheme of things, we're all prone to be painted with the same brush. I couldn't care less and I've met great people in both countries.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic