7-11 Coming Soon

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: 7-11 Coming Soon

Post by rogerrabbit »

7-11 doesn't have trouble getting big market share. They have so much money behind that they can open hundreds of stores within couple of years and by that time, when you see it in every corner like in Thailand, it will be the go-to store for most people for quick shopping like drinks and snacks. Circle-K is only one that can compete as they have some serious (Chinese) money behind them too. Kiwi, Smile and all these local convenience & mom'n'pop stores will die within 10 years if they don't find some small niche market and thus they could survive as small network of shops.

7-11 Cambodia and Makro Cambodia also have same company behind them so building a proper supply chain will not be a problem either.

And 7-1 doesn't even compete with Super Duper. it's all the proper grocery stores like Aeon Maxvalu, Lucky and Big C in future who are competing with them.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I've been using Circle-K and Vinmart in Vietnam and they're quite okay, but they don't come close to a 7/11 in Thailand. Big C in Vietnam is much better than other supermarkets there, but again, is no match to my nearest Big C here in Bangkok. Even Burger King sucks in Vietnam and Cambodia, I don't really know why.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

rogerrabbit wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:02 pm 7-11 doesn't have trouble getting big market share. They have so much money behind that they can open hundreds of stores within couple of years and by that time, when you see it in every corner like in Thailand, it will be the go-to store for most people for quick shopping like drinks and snacks. Circle-K is only one that can compete as they have some serious (Chinese) money behind them too. Kiwi, Smile and all these local convenience & mom'n'pop stores will die within 10 years if they don't find some small niche market and thus they could survive as small network of shops.

I was under the impression that Circle-K is owned by Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc and that this is a Canadian owned company? Or am I wrong in this matter?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Tommie wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:55 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:02 pm 7-11 doesn't have trouble getting big market share. They have so much money behind that they can open hundreds of stores within couple of years and by that time, when you see it in every corner like in Thailand, it will be the go-to store for most people for quick shopping like drinks and snacks. Circle-K is only one that can compete as they have some serious (Chinese) money behind them too. Kiwi, Smile and all these local convenience & mom'n'pop stores will die within 10 years if they don't find some small niche market and thus they could survive as small network of shops.

I was under the impression that Circle-K is owned by Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc and that this is a Canadian owned company? Or am I wrong in this matter?
Yeah they own the brand and Circle K originates from USA/Canada but the one who owns the master franchise in Cambodia and is the main investor and operator here is a chinese-cambodian company.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

It's still Canadian owned. The reality of the local market means you need a local partner/master franchisee, but ownership/design/product choices and all that are likely all still from regional HQ. And they seem to know what they're doing. I routinely go in them and they're alright. I find them a bit pricey, but that's a given for convenience stores. They're the second largest convenience store chain worldwide and far as I know, so it's not like it'll be an easy sweep for 7/11. They never entered several markets dominated by Couche-Tard for the simple reason that they knew it would prove too difficult/competitive. The market here is very saturated already, so they'd have to really pump out some unique products to make it worth it. Otherwise it'll just dilute the current shares altogether, rather than just be a swooping victory for 7/11 as some seem to predict. Cambodia isn't Thailand.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i was jumping for joy when 7/11 had slurpees here in Phuket
but than they stopped about 3 years ago and it was a sad day
NOW if Cambodia brought them in......
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

An economic downturn is always an excellent opportunity for a deep pockets competitor to enter the market and grab market share.

As another poster pointed out, the losers will be the small mom & pop stores that try to compete in the same category as the Circle-K and 7/11 stores, but without any unique product or service.

Especially those who do it in a local way, trying to nickel and dime customers, stiffing employees on pay, wringing every Riel of profit out without putting anything in.

Will it be better or worse to only have big brands left in Cambodia? I don’t know. The jury’s still out in the west, despite decades of 7/11 and Circle-K.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

newkidontheblock wrote: As another poster pointed out, the losers will be the small mom & pop stores that try to compete in the same category as the Circle-K and 7/11 stores, but without any unique product or service.

Especially those who do it in a local way, trying to nickel and dime customers, stiffing employees on pay, wringing every Riel of profit out without putting anything in.
I think you're out of touch. The competition isn't the same. Mom and pop stores typically carry a different variety of items, and most people (myself included) will still buy the basic stuff there as it's cheaper than convenience stores (soft drinks, beer etc). Also, it's pretty rare for mom and pop stores to have actual staff. They're usually family-run...

So I don't see how they're "nickel and diming" customers if they're actually CHEAPER, not do I see how they can cheap employees when in most cases the employees are their kids/grandma...

rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:12 am
newkidontheblock wrote: As another poster pointed out, the losers will be the small mom & pop stores that try to compete in the same category as the Circle-K and 7/11 stores, but without any unique product or service.

I think you're out of touch. The competition isn't the same. Mom and pop stores typically carry a different variety of items, and most people (myself included) will still buy the basic stuff there as it's cheaper than convenience stores (soft drinks, beer etc). Also, it's pretty rare for mom and pop stores to have actual staff. They're usually family-run...

So I don't see how they're "nickel and diming" customers if they're actually CHEAPER, not do I see how they can cheap employees when in most cases the employees are their kids/grandma...
While you are correct that they are selling beer and other very limited line of products at slightly cheaper price but once the older generation passes away, those mom'n'pop shops will die in city areas because the new generation have more important things to do than sell 40 cent beers & coke cans.

Of course you will find those still outskirts of the city and in smaller towns but I'm fairly sure in 2030 you can find max one mom'n'pop shop on a km long street in city center while on same street there will be few 7-11s and and Circle-Ks. Compared to today when there are mom'n'pop shops every few hundred meters and most likely no convenience stores at all at that same stretch of street.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

We'll have to wait and see. Where I'm from 7/11 and other chains never bothered entering the market as there's a long history of well stocked mom and pop stores which are hard to compete with. To this day they've got a semi-monopoly, especially since they can be in residential areas whereas proper 7/11 style places need to be a bit further out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic