7-11 Coming Soon

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: 7-11 Coming Soon

Post by phuketrichard »

xandreu wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:32 pm I question how successful 7-11 will be in Cambodia. I'm not sure there's enough of the general populous geared towards mini-mart shopping to make it work. As someone else said, many Circle K's have gone bust recently, and whenever I go into most mini-marts, they're usually practically empty, unless they're in a place with a high foreigner count. Cambodia isn't Thailand. There's a very different food mentality here, especially when it comes to buying the kinds of things available in mini-marts and 7-11's. For a lot of Khmers, snacks and drinks are things you buy from roadside stalls, not convenience stores.

But let's see....
as i recall everyone, said the same thing about Thailand when there were no 7/11's;
people wont use them, they will stick with the mom and pop shops, buy on the road etc etc
TILL they got a 7/11 near them and they found out how not only were they convenient ( 24/7), far superior, constantly restocked and they were air conditioned>

I am sure they will succeed.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:58 pm
xandreu wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:32 pm I question how successful 7-11 will be in Cambodia. I'm not sure there's enough of the general populous geared towards mini-mart shopping to make it work. As someone else said, many Circle K's have gone bust recently, and whenever I go into most mini-marts, they're usually practically empty, unless they're in a place with a high foreigner count. Cambodia isn't Thailand. There's a very different food mentality here, especially when it comes to buying the kinds of things available in mini-marts and 7-11's. For a lot of Khmers, snacks and drinks are things you buy from roadside stalls, not convenience stores.

But let's see....
as i recall everyone, said the same thing about Thailand when there were no 7/11's;
people wont use them, they will stick with the mom and pop shops, buy on the road etc etc
TILL they got a 7/11 near them and they found out how not only were they convenient ( 24/7), far superior, constantly restocked and they were air conditioned>

I am sure they will succeed.
Well, they are obviously not very keen to get started!
A Family Mart opened in Battambang in 2012. I don't think it lasted very long.
There aren't so many mom and pop stores in Cambodia, just the markets. And the coffee stalls for drinks. What's the common link there? Low rents.
Unless your business is attracting tourists or well off locals/expats, you can't afford to pay the rents that shops demand.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Not every idea from Thailand necessarily works here. The cookie cutter beer bar concept from Pattaya/Patong/Lamai they tried here at GSM has been a total flop...and that was before Covid.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:16 pm Not every idea from Thailand necessarily works here. The cookie cutter beer bar concept from Pattaya/Patong/Lamai they tried here at GSM has been a total flop...and that was before Covid.
I think Khmers would love 7-11s...if they could afford them after the rent and electric costs have had their effect on the prices charged.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

The first store in Chroy Changvar is now open. So I wonder what was the source of Khmer Times?

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

But let's see....

I wouldn't agree. They have closed some Circle Ks in areas that were formerly frequented by tourists in Daun Penh but have opened new ones in other neighborhoods. Convenience stores have been here for over a decade and some are very popular with locals. It depends on location much of the time. If 7-11 can give the same type of service they do in Bangkok and the prices are lower than existing stores they should do very well. I just can't imagine they will be able to supply the same sort of range of products and they will be quite a bit more expensive.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Will be interesting to see if the Khmer take to the Slurpees.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

No slurpees, nachos and the hot dogs come from circle k...? What exactly is different about this from the other convenience stores.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

rogerrabbit wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:57 pm The first store in Chroy Changvar is now open. So I wonder what was the source of Khmer Times?

Probably just made up, or taken verbatim from some shite talk overheard by the author

The Khmer might well be one of the worst newspapers I've had the misfortune to see
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

7-Eleven Opens First Store in Cambodia
The new store carries over 2,000 products, ones typically found at 7-Eleven stores as well as local fresh food items, including some unique to the Cambodian market.

By Emily Boes | August 30, 2021

7-Eleven opens its first Cambodian store on Monday, Aug. 30, in Phnom Penh, the country’s capital. Residents and tourists alike now can enjoy the company’s unique style of convenience, signature food and drinks, as well as products and delicacies especially created to appeal to the local market.

CP ALL Cambodia Co. holds a master franchise agreement with 7-Eleven and is solely authorized to develop and operate stores in Cambodia. CP ALL Cambodia Co. is a subsidiary of CP All Public Co. Limited, which operates more than 12,000 7-Eleven stores in Thailand and is the largest 7-Eleven licensee.

The country’s first store is located in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district on the outskirts of the city. Occupying the first floor of an office building, the store’s address is 41,43 National Route 6A, Prek Leab Village, Sangkat Prek Leab, Khan Chroy Changva.
A grand opening celebration will be held later.
https://cstoredecisions.com/2021/08/30/ ... -cambodia/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic