7-11 Coming Soon

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: 7-11 Coming Soon

Post by siliconlife »

I look forward to seeing these little private mini-marts around BKK being knocked into decent business practices, too. Extortionate round there.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:55 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:42 pm I'm sure we'll cope without them.
Actually I love Thai Huot, Lucky and Bayon.
All of those are overpriced compared to 7-11 in Thailand.
Really! What prices n Thailand do 7/11 charge for a bottle of Bordeaux Superior, Haut-Médoc or Saint-Émilion, and what about the price for Foie Gras, Confit du Canard, and French patte.

Post the prices and i'll check if they are cheaper. I have been shopping in Thai Huot since they opened in the '90's and Bayon for a long time and have not found better outlets for what I buy. I think their prices are very reasonable and agree with armchairlawyer re 7/11, I will certainly cope without them.
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

siliconlife wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:24 pm I look forward to seeing these little private mini-marts around BKK being knocked into decent business practices, too. Extortionate round there.
Yes! I’m also sick of the lazy minimart mama sans who sit around an unorganized shop that looks like a pig sty!

I was so happy when the Smile minimarts opened years ago and you could actually walk around without stepping over boxes, trash, and product strewn all over the place.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

From the country I'm from 7-11 stuff are expensive because they are 24/7.
The price is usually more by 50%-100% compared to buying from big supermarket...
I would buy from them usually when they have promotions like 1for1 or brand/product promo like the ones running in big supermarkets...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ssian wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:26 am From the country I'm from 7-11 stuff are expensive because they are 24/7.
The price is usually more by 50%-100% compared to buying from big supermarket...
I would buy from them usually when they have promotions like 1for1 or brand/product promo like the ones running in big supermarkets...
In Thailand the prices at 7/11 are comparable to Big C and Tesco.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kuroneko wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:46 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:55 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:42 pm I'm sure we'll cope without them.
Actually I love Thai Huot, Lucky and Bayon.
All of those are overpriced compared to 7-11 in Thailand.
Really! What prices n Thailand do 7/11 charge for a bottle of Bordeaux Superior, Haut-Médoc or Saint-Émilion, and what about the price for Foie Gras, Confit du Canard, and French patte.

Post the prices and i'll check if they are cheaper. I have been shopping in Thai Huot since they opened in the '90's and Bayon for a long time and have not found better outlets for what I buy. I think their prices are very reasonable and agree with armchairlawyer re 7/11, I will certainly cope without them.
Since 7-11 doesn't sell those there is no comparison possible. Maybe Big C does sell them but I'm not sure.

But something typically costing 15 THB in a 7-11 in Thailand will cost you 0.80-0.85 USD in the shops mentioned.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I didn't come to Cambodia to shop in artificial plastic environments and buy highly manufactured food in stores i don't even use in the west.
I do, occasionally, but always kick myself for being too lazy to avail myself of much better local food and buying from much nicer little old Cambodian ladies - or whoever..

But i guess if this crap is a major part of your diet, 'may as well go to the pro's.
I always think of that rancid fat on reconstituted potato mash overloaded with salt and god knows what and it turns my gut before i walk in the door.

:)
That's just my take away from all those 7/11 knock-offs.
A copy of the worst from the west.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:49 am I didn't come to Cambodia to shop in artificial plastic environments and buy highly manufactured food in stores i don't even use in the west.
I do, occasionally, but always kick myself for being too lazy to avail myself of much better local food and buying from much nicer little old Cambodian ladies - or whoever..

But i guess if this crap is a major part of your diet, 'may as well go to the pro's.
I always think of that rancid fat on reconstituted potato mash overloaded with salt and god knows what and it turns my gut before i walk in the door.

:)
That's just my take away from all those 7/11 knock-offs.
A copy of the worst from the west.
i dont see anybody forcing you to shop in them.

They are A convenience store, cause that what they offer, convenience, when you dont need to visit a full supermarket, but only need a few things.

We have 9 of them in little kamala an they are great for popping in for a few things . I doubt many people make a habit out of eating the pre prepared foods offered in them
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Guilty as charged, I love those microwave foods in the Thai 7-11s, they are surprisingly good (at 3am after a night out, anyway)! Ever had the rice burger? To be honest I'd prefer not to have microwaved food, but taste-wise, imho, it blows away 90% of the street food here, and is a safer bet in terms of hygiene too.

Even if you disagree, the prices are better for many other basic goods. They do not compete with every product in a supermarket, so the comparison above is invalid. Hopefully they will offer some general competition and drive prices down a bit, even though Thai Huot and the like will survive because they are still quality stores that offer a wider range of goods.

On the other hand, I also understand the reaction against corporate takeover. And yeah, it's sad but that started in Cambodia a long time ago. Give me Phnom Penh 2010 any day, as the glory days of semi-rustic charm are already over there, as I see it.
Last edited by siliconlife on Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Yes, exactly - 7-11s don't have the same target market as Thai Huot etc. They don't sell what you need for a functioning kitchen at home, such as meat, vegetables etc.
My impression of a 7-11 is one aisle of sugary snacks, one aisle of sugary drinks, one aisle of whitening creams, some bags of overpriced nuts, fridges full of beer and more sugary drinks. Cigs and wines and spirits behind the counter. Condoms and KY gels by the cashier. Machines dispensing ice cold sugary drinks. Very good aircon. Door going ding-dong every five seconds. Have I missed something?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic