The Future of Travel

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

The Future of Travel

Post by phuketrichard »

not just thailand, SE Asia but the world
good read.
“The pandemic is going to fade slowly, with aftereffects, a lot of which will be psychological,” said Frank Farley, a Temple University psychology professor and the former president of the American Psychological Association. “There’s so much uncertainty the average folk might want to know everything about travel,” he said. “What’s the escape hatch? What are the safety issues?”

Yet the desire to travel will not go away: In a recent survey by Skift Research, the research arm of the travel trade publication, one-third of Americans said they hope to travel within three months after restrictions are lifted.
“There will be smoking-hot deals,” said R.W. Mann, an industry analyst and consultant. “It will happen on the leisure side first, but on the corporate side is where airlines make their money. They travel more frequently and pay higher fares. Right now, they are very risk averse.”
As i said, if ur thinking of traveling this fall/winter....WAIT<<great deals ahead to get people back in the air!!

International travel will take much longer to bounce back.
Countries will reopen at various times — some have already begun to do so — and that staggered reopening might be confusing to travelers. Getting permission to visit a country will likely be more tedious, requiring more documentation and more rigorous health checks. A lack of clarity over who is in charge where will dissuade many would-be travelers, especially at the beginning of the recovery.

“There won’t be a rule banning you from traveling from Oklahoma to Albuquerque, for example, but there probably will be one banning you from traveling from Paris to New York,”
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... Yqu2qRoPW8
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: The Future of Travel

Post by hanno »

I think the days of cheap airfares will be gone for a long time.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

hanno wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:11 am I think the days of cheap airfares will be gone for a long time.
Yeah it sucks, where I’m curious is what will the new standard price be for travelling from Sydney to se-asia.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

hanno wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:11 am I think the days of cheap airfares will be gone for a long time.
I don't agree. For many decades, airfares were very expensive and only for the rich. It wasn't until budget airlines came to the market that the skies were opened up to all.

Despite many budget airlines going bust over the years, many more have thrived, proving that the business model of offering low airfares for lower quality / mass transit air travel works and there is money to be made.

Remember that your flight ticket is made up of many parts. Oil prices are at a record low. Airports are on the brink of going bust and desperate to attract custom, Governments are keen not to have to bail out airlines or allow them to go bust, putting many people out of work, and will therefore be prepared to reduce taxes to keep the cost of lfights low.

I can't see why the market would just turn its back on an industry that clearly made money before. I think there will always be people prepared to salvage something if there's money to be made.

It may take a while to get back on its feet, but I wouldn't write off the airline industry just yet.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

Maybe free tickets with flights paid by TAT to get the ball rolling.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Further to my post above, I think this video demonstrates more than anything why I believe the airline industry will get back on its feet sooner rather than later.

There are billions and billions of dollars worth of aircraft sitting idle all around the world right now. It's inconceivable that they will simply be allowed to go to waste and not be put back into use.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xandreu wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:02 am
I don't agree. For many decades, airfares were very expensive and only for the rich. It wasn't until budget airlines came to the market that the skies were opened up to all.

Despite many budget airlines going bust over the years, many more have thrived, proving that the business model of offering low airfares for lower quality / mass transit air travel works and there is money to be made.

Remember that your flight ticket is made up of many parts. Oil prices are at a record low. Airports are on the brink of going bust and desperate to attract custom, Governments are keen not to have to bail out airlines or allow them to go bust, putting many people out of work, and will therefore be prepared to reduce taxes to keep the cost of lfights low.

I can't see why the market would just turn its back on an industry that clearly made money before. I think there will always be people prepared to salvage something if there's money to be made.

It may take a while to get back on its feet, but I wouldn't write off the airline industry just yet.
I expect a movement in the other direction.

Many governments will reason airlines play a large role in the spreading of viruses, and now are hit hard themselves by this pandemic. Governments will bail out airlines this time, and then new laws will be implemented forcing airlines to reserve money for the next time there's a pandemic. Because we know one thing for use, another pandemic will come.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

@x@xandreu I think the cost of social distancing in planes will be passed on to the punters, but let’s see.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

hanno wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:33 am @x@xandreu I think the cost of social distancing in planes will be passed on to the punters, but let’s see.
Frontier airlines in the US is already doing this, "Frontier Airlines, though, is going all in on the industry's worst nickel-and-diming impulses and is happy to let you gain a few precious inches of space from your neighbor and their bodily fluids—for an additional fee."
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... n-flights/
up to you...
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

hanno wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:33 am @x@xandreu I think the cost of social distancing in planes will be passed on to the punters, but let’s see.
I don't think there will be social distancing on planes, it's ludicrous. I'm aware that it has been introduced in some places, but I think it will be short-lived.

Tests are already becoming cheaper, quicker and more reliable - the ability to effectively screen travelers will be key to opening up both the skies and travel destinations. Screening passengers before the flight will ultimately be cheaper and safer than keeping seats empty.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic