The Future of Travel

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Future of Travel

Post by Kammekor »

xandreu wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:04 pm Sitting on an airplane for several hours, one seat away from someone with covid-19 is not going to protect you in any way imaginable.

It's an enclosed pressurised space with recycled air. Simply removing or leaving the middle seat free wouldn't come anywhere close to adequate protection.

I certainly wouldn't want to give it a go.
You're not in your early twenties I guess?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Ryan754326 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:46 am
Yerg wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:45 pm
Took the words out of my mouth JB. My parents pay tax on something that they paid for over many years out of their net incomes. So we know that your father and my parents are still supporting whatever care they may need from their continuing tax payments... Rather than being a drain :whip: :lol:
I’m not trying to turn this into a young vs old argument, or suggesting that pensioners are a drain, but the fact is, that the money the older generation has paid into the system for decades is long gone; already used up to pay the previous generation their pensions, among other things. It’s not all sitting in a bank account somewhere.
Governments operate on a Ponzi scheme model. Without new money coming in the whole thing breaks down.
Some countries actually do have saving schemes. Some.....
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Ryan754326 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:30 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:13 am
With due respect, Ryan - that is a zero sum game you are stating.
you can in fact do both.
I don’t mean to imply that no one can work at the moment, but even 10% unemployment is going to be a very noticeable hit, if it carries on for any length of time.

Most of the people I know in Canada share the opinion that every life is precious, and that all we can do is sit inside and wait for the inevitable vaccine to come, economy be damned. I don’t think they appreciate the damage that might be done if we continue to keep things closed for 3 to 6 months, or longer.
Going back to my original post, what we are dealing with is a virus that is killing a very small percentage of people who are mostly old and sick already. The question I have been asking since early on, is why can’t we isolate those people and let the rest start getting back to normal? The most common answer I am getting from my older friends and relatives is that it wouldn’t be fair, and it’s better to just keep everyone home until the virus disappears. I don’t believe that this is feasible, and I think it’s likely that the economy will be badly damaged if we keep trying.
My father is in the age group of the vulnerable. I invested in an online business, so I'm fine. But I also notice economies shrinking at a 4% rate per month. Per month.... The 2009-2011 crisis lead to -6% in years, what's happening now is unprecedented, my country is at -8% now in just two months time. And an exit strategy isn't clear yet. If we continue like this we look at -20% or more at the end of the year, unemployment rates of 20-30%, and debts skyrocketing.

There's only one way out, and that's biting the bullet. Open the economy for the young, let's say up to 45-50. 45-60 can receive some government support if in a risk group, and protect the old. The way chosen now will end in tears for all.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Ryan754326 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:30 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:13 am
With due respect, Ryan - that is a zero sum game you are stating.
you can in fact do both.
I don’t mean to imply that no one can work at the moment, but even 10% unemployment is going to be a very noticeable hit, if it carries on for any length of time.

Most of the people I know in Canada share the opinion that every life is precious, and that all we can do is sit inside and wait for the inevitable vaccine to come, economy be damned. I don’t think they appreciate the damage that might be done if we continue to keep things closed for 3 to 6 months, or longer.
Going back to my original post, what we are dealing with is a virus that is killing a very small percentage of people who are mostly old and sick already. The question I have been asking since early on, is why can’t we isolate those people and let the rest start getting back to normal? The most common answer I am getting from my older friends and relatives is that it wouldn’t be fair, and it’s better to just keep everyone home until the virus disappears. I don’t believe that this is feasible, and I think it’s likely that the economy will be badly damaged if we keep trying.
Ryan, can i let you in on a little secret. The ekonomy is already badly damaged. It is broken. It does not work for us, it is there these days to enrichen a handfull.
The top few have hijacked every single .01% of economic growth since the GFC. People used to be a able to work to get ahead. now they strive and stress to keep their heads above water. The boomers (my gen) have snookered the system. The ekonomy is bankrupt and living on our grankids credit card. The finite and very precious environment is not factored in except as a free resource and as a consequence the planet is dying.
To tell you the truth - i have rejected The Ekonomy as i have done with all other false Gods. It's a con.
In the meanwhile i listen to the best scientist going - and none i know have suggested locking up all the old folks so that the super-rich can buy a new yacht.
Just my slightly bent out of shape view on the value of our fab Ekomony over the lives and freedom of my old folks.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Stand up and let the naysayers cry in their free gruel.
The planet is not dying.
That is the most foolish statement I have read in years.
The planet can hiccup tomorrow and wipe you and your entire continent off the map...The planet will just go on and your world will become a lost world that survivors write stories.
The planet changes..
Long before mankind creatures went extinct.
To say that the World economy is ruined is just plain nonsense.
There are more people living above a poverty level than ever in history.
Yes, in the USA alone the new jobs numbers are worse than anytime in its history including the great depression.
But, the USA and indeed the World will be back.
People..creatures adapt or they become extinct.
I suggest people get up and not listen to those who see an empty cup...not even half empty...just empty..
Souless..blinded by faux science..
Rise up and fight the good fight.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Another thing..
You all are so concerned about old folks dying but have no qualms about the abortion clinics being deemed essential. More babies are being murdered than the wuhan chinese virus is killing the elderly.
Go figure.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Many things can be inter-related but this is going off the rails..lol
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^^
Can i put that down as a statement of ideological position, B-543210?
Cos it sure as hell ain't science.

LOL, Brooklyn ^^^ quite correct, totally off topic but i just had to get that last jibe in before the mods pulled the shutters down. :mrgreen:
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

hanno wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:11 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:46 pm
hanno wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:33 am @x@xandreu I think the cost of social distancing in planes will be passed on to the punters, but let’s see.
Social distancing will not last for long. Once quick tests and vaccinations are available there is no need for social distancing. Meanwhile airlines are desperate to get even some money coming in, get people back to planes and travelling so tickets will be cheap in near future too.

I am not quite that optimistic. And for airlines it might be cheaper to leave the planes on the ground that operate them at 50% capacity.
It's surprisingly expensive to keep them grounded too. The planes needs pretty much the same maintenance for example even if not flying.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

SternAAlbifrons wrote:Ryan, can i let you in on a little secret. The ekonomy is already badly damaged. It is broken. It does not work for us, it is there these days to enrichen a handfull.
The economy gave the world smart phones. I am so far down the totem pole yet I own an iPhone. And so do a lot of other members on CEO. The economy gave the world international travel so cheap that beggars from western nations can travel SE Asia. The economy has given many opportunities to succeed (and fail) unimaginable by previous generations.

If one chooses to see the glass as always empty, then it will always be doom and gloom no matter what.

The future of travel - initially flights will have lots of social distancing and ticket prices will increase. Begpackers will demand that their governments send them back for free. Some airlines will go bankrupt. Then rapid, reliable tests will roll out, and then the vaccine.

Cheap flights return.

The question is when.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic