COVID Appeal: Cambodian Families are Going Hungry

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

COVID Appeal: Cambodian Families are Going Hungry

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Families are suffering in regions of Cambodia, such as Siem Reap, where the locals strongly depend on tourism to earn a living. Some charities are stepping up to help out those in need during the pandemic shutdown.
From social media today:
Feeding Dreams Cambodia

The International labour organisation has reconfirmed 1.6 billion are now likely to be out of work because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Sadly, the consequences of this ongoing pandemic does not have the same repercussions for all, as many families throughout the globe will be without pay, no government assistance, or any reprieve whatsoever. Yet their responsibilities to support their children remain the same.

With 0 tourism in Siem Reap, and most businesses closed, it has already been 2 months that most have had no income whatsoever. Mothers are trading cooking pots for food, and others have already pawned their wedding rings in order to buy food for their families. Some fathers are going far to other provinces in search in labouring jobs, but with every business brought to a standstill, there are little jobs to be found.

Those families that do have electricity in their huts, have stopped using their fan (even though we are in the hottest months of the year) as they have no money to pay electricity bill. Some landlords of the room that a poor family rents, have reduced monthly rent from US$65 to US$55. Reprieve is negligible.

With no food banks in Siem Reap, Feeding Dreams Cambodia continues to be inundated with requests for emergency support and food. We are also well aware that in times of crises, the risk of families falling victim to traffickers are much higher. They are out there, and they are watching. We are continuing to work closely with ’at risk’ families and directly with an International Child Protection organisation.

Feeding Dreams Cambodia has therefore created a COVID-19 Emergency Appeal for international help. Funds will be directed towards providing ongoing rice handouts, vegetables, emergency health and rent assistance to our families. As FDC remains a grassroots NGO organization and firmly entrenched in the poorest communities of Siem Reap, we continue to monitor, assess, counsel and respond to unique family situations.
Our Covid-19 Emergency Appeal link offers the option of donating in most global currencies, with an added bonus of Australian donations being tax deductible. Please visit: https://fdc-covid-emergency-appeal.raisely.com/donate

To donate, fundraise and find out more please visit: https://fdc-covid-emergency-appeal.raisely.com/

or learn more about Feeding Dreams Cambodia by going to: http://feedingdreamscambodia.org/

Thank you to every person around the globe, we wish you all well and please stay safe.

Feeding Dreams Cambodia ❤️ 🙏
'No child should attend school hungry'
http://feedingdreamscambodia.org/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: COVID Appeal: Cambodian Families are Going Hungry

Post by Brody »

Whewwwwww....all the Bentley, Lambo, RR, ad infinitum driving Ohknya's, Generals and Tycoons are breathing a hefty sigh of relief knowing that they won't have to dig into their own deeeeeeeeeeep pockets to aid their own country and that once again....

.....ill informed Western countries still view Cambodia as a country perpetually on its knees......

........and will misguidedly give money hand over fist.

I should set up a video camera anywhere on Norodom Avenue and let it run for an hour.......and then send the footage to these aid agencies....

.........after seeing the obscene wealth ambling up and down that street.......would their money be better served elsewhere as a much needed lesson to the upper echelon of Khmer society that it is high time that they took care of their own?

The certainly seem able to afford to do so. :thumb:
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

Yes! I’ve be saying it for years. It is a good thing I’m a nobody because I’d cut off every last dollar of aid money to Cambodia if I held the purse strings.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

ImageImage
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Yesterday was a very holy day for. Buddhists..Visak Bochea...My wife regularly cooks something for the Monks, nuns and elderly folks at the Pagoda around the corner here in Siem Reap...It is not a tourist destination like a few others close to the Night Market area.
She talks to the cook about their needs.
It is amazing how a few thousand riel make a big difference to some old person with no family who just sleeps at the Pagoda and sweeps up.
For sure, I am seeing the city get poorer and quieter.
More and more business doors shut.
Beautiful new apartments not quite finished.
I do see a few construction projects.
Here in my apartment one man is stranded others are out of work ....My landlord asked my wife in Khmer if I wanted a rent discount like the other barang..
I told her No...I signed a lease for a certain amount.
They cannot raise it and I am not asking for a break.
But, I am lucky. i am retired. I just got an extra $1200 from the US government..My landlord owns a construction supply business and home furnishings store..They have very few customers.
It is quite sad to see the shuttered..abandoned..overgrown..empty businesses along National 6.
It follows that the dominoes have fallen here and the thousands who depended on Angkor Wat tourists are crushed..
KTVs..Massage..Bars...hotels...tour guides..
I decided to keep using passap for my 2 trips a week to the market just to get a different driver and spread the fares around..
I sure don't want to send that website any money.
Hell, they charge volunteers $450us to come volunteer according to their website.
The schools are closed ....
I am sure they do fine work and offer people the opportunity to help poor kids here in Siem Reap.
I suggest people just get 5000 riel notes and walk around and hand them out.
Take some canned goods and noodles and rice to a Pagoda...it just takes a few minutes..
I suspect there are a lot of people all over the World who could use a few bucks.
I think a European can surely find a local to help and the same over in the Western Hemisphere.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

BR549 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:19 am Yesterday was a very holy day for. Buddhists..Visak Bochea...My wife regularly cooks something for the Monks, nuns and elderly folks at the Pagoda around the corner here in Siem Reap...
This looks like a good opening for something that has been on my mind a bit lately, and i believe other member's minds also.

Could you maybe ask those monks, B-5th, what they think of your regular foul-mouthed, abusive, rants?
and what you could do to moderate the offensive way you often speak to us here on CEO?
Please.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Another local initiative in Siem Reap:

Cambodian quartet joins forces to feed needy
By TTG Asia
/ Posted on 8 May, 2020 14:08

A trio of hotels in Siem Reap have teamed up with a private museum on a meal scheme to provide more than 400 meals a day to individuals most affected by Cambodia’s lockdown due to the coronavirus.

Since April 20, Treeline Urban Resort, Mulberry Boutique Hotel, Jaya House Hotels and The Cambodia Landmine Museum have been doing the rounds on a daily basis, with the help of over 75 volunteers.

The quartet started this initiative as unlike other countries, there are no social safety nets nor social support services in Cambodia to alleviate the effects of the virus crisis on the poor and vulnerable.

Under the food programme, all meals are nutritious, locally sourced and served in biodegradable packaging. They are also cooked locally, thus, generating income for local villagers and restaurants.

The quartet now hopes to raise over US$30,000 to keep this initiative going on for longer, and is calling on the public to join in their efforts to help feed the needy within the community during this crisis.

This initiative is entirely based on donations, and 100 per cent of the funds raised will go towards meal preparation and distribution. More information can be found on hotelsjoininghands.com.
https://www.ttgasia.com/2020/05/08/camb ... eed-needy/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

Brody wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:39 pm .........after seeing the obscene wealth ambling up and down that street.......would their money be better served elsewhere as a much needed lesson to the upper echelon of Khmer society that it is high time that they took care of their own?

The certainly seem able to afford to do so. :thumb:
i agree with ur sentiment 100%

what is the income gap between the very poor and the top guys in your country?

let's say between bezos or the 11 million millionaires and a homeless guy?

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/how-man ... ires-in-us

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_i ... ted_States

note: 11.8 million living in poverty before covid 19 hit.

after covid, much higher

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/03/19/us- ... id-19-poor
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Quote -What Is a Millionaire? A millionaire is someone who has a net worth of a million dollars. Net worth is what you own minus what you owe. But not here apparently,
I had read somewhere that they don’t start counting a millionaire until they have 30 million dollars, (you may have to trawl the net). But even so there are quite a few of them here. That is hefty sums of money made after the time of Pol Pot when no one had anything, apart from what they may have berried or stashed away. I also read about the new Boreys in Phnom Penh when the first 2000 families had bought their houses, starting price 1.4 million, now there are 6000+ families on the housing ladder.
I know that the poor would suffer here, like any country without a social system in place. There are organisations such has the red cross, and no doubt however bad our own countries are, I am sure some charity will donate.
I could not agree more then what you guys are saying, but first hint of the need for money, appeal to the western countries, just seems ongoing. Such has landmine clearance from such, Halo trust charity, Mag, and the UK government, I recall the pledge till 2025, and then someone involved with the Khmer clearance, trained by others above, asking for 400,000usd. But to put into context why should anyone spend their own moneys, being that they didn’t make the situation. Yes, tax collected could help with a social system, or that of support. If I had a gripe it would be that of suggesting foreigners should pay a higher rate of tax than the Khmer, 5 times higher. But no need to worry if someone keeps paying and doing it for you. Covid19 total infected here 122 no deaths. UK deaths 31,241. US deaths 78,616
I would not even think of asking for any help.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

AndyKK wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:27 pmI know that the poor would suffer here, like any country without a social system in place. There are organisations such has the red cross
just out of interest who heads the red cross here?

i know in norway its robert mood, nice guy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic