COVID Appeal: Cambodian Families are Going Hungry

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: COVID Appeal: Cambodian Families are Going Hungry

Post by Kammekor »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:55 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:23 pm
fsdfdsdf wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:55 pm theres a difficulty which is that people with low IQs are unemployable. Ive offered quite a few people here well paid easy jobs but they think working is above their station in life and prefer to beg, or worse, expect their daughters or sisters to support them thru prostitution. they dont want to be tied to a job or do the work I guess. I dont like seeing the wasteful excessiveness of the ruling class here but on the other hand I wont be selling my car to give money to people that made the career choice to be beggars or pimps and are currently having a hard time of it
Interesting social circles you are in.

Today I hired a few guys to put up some poles for a fence for 20k riels a day plus water. My life's just so boring.
what does social circles have to do with it? every time I go outside Im approached by people asking for money or selling sexual services. khmer people tell me that most of them are begging because they are too lazy to work and thats been my experience as well. Im not saying they represent the whole country, just that I wouldnt sell my car for them
I’m never asked for money or offered sexual services when I go outside, so I guess our social environments aren’t the same.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:55 pm theres a difficulty which is that people with low IQs are unemployable. Ive offered quite a few people here well paid easy jobs but they think working is above their station in life and prefer to beg, or worse, expect their daughters or sisters to support them thru prostitution. they dont want to be tied to a job or do the work I guess. I dont like seeing the wasteful excessiveness of the ruling class here but on the other hand I wont be selling my car to give money to people that made the career choice to be beggars or pimps and are currently having a hard time of it

Today I hired a few guys to put up some poles for a fence for 20k riels a day plus water. My life's just so boring.
what does social circles have to do with it? every time I go outside Im approached by people asking for money or selling sexual services. khmer people tell me that most of them are begging because they are too lazy to work and thats been my experience as well. Im not saying they represent the whole country, just that I wouldnt sell my car for them
" Social circles", or the area you are living in, have everything to do with it. Nobody asks me for money or offers sexual services where I am living now. I also don't know anyone who pimps out their family. (Seriously, wtf.)

Just pointing out that your view on Cambodians may not be everyone's view. You could ask yourself why this is so. If you mix with beggars, whores, and pimps then don't be surprised if they are useless and untrustworthy. But that would go for any country in the world I think. My 2c.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:31 pm

" Social circles", or the area you are living in, have everything to do with it. Nobody asks me for money or offers sexual services where I am living now. I also don't know anyone who pimps out their family. (Seriously, wtf.)

Just pointing out that your view on Cambodians may not be everyone's view. You could ask yourself why this is so. If you mix with beggars, whores, and pimps then don't be surprised if they are useless and untrustworthy. But that would go for any country in the world I think. My 2c.
its not my view of Cambodian people, just some of them. as I said, many khmer people dont like these people as well
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:55 pm every time I go outside Im approached by people asking for money or selling sexual services.
Damn. Nobody ever offers me sexual services. What am I doing wrong?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

BANTEAY SREY’S ‘SOCIAL RICE FIELD’ DISTRIBUTES OVER 50 TONNES OF RICE TO THE POOR
Cambodia News, Banteay Srey: Officials in Banteay Srei have distributed over 50 tonnes of milled rice to nearly 2,700 impoverished and vulnerable households under the ‘social rice field’ program in partnership with local farmers.
District governor Khim Finan told the Phnom Penh Post that the rice was distributed to IDPoor card holders in the district from the harvest of 40ha of rice fields which the administration had leased from 88 households in Preah Dak commune.

“The ‘social rice field’ programme has received support including seeds, expenses and volunteer labour from the agriculture department, philanthropists and volunteers from the Union of Youth Federations of Cambodia,” he said.

According to Finan, the program has yielded 84 tonnes of milled rice which has been gradually distributed to rice field owners, poor households and those affected by floods. The recent handouts brought total distribution to 2,668 households, each receiving 20kg.
Finan said the administration would continue the project this year because it had been a success last year.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic