COVID Appeal: Cambodian Families are Going Hungry

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: COVID Appeal: Cambodian Families are Going Hungry

Post by AndyKK »

fazur wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:15 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:27 pmI know that the poor would suffer here, like any country without a social system in place. There are organisations such has the red cross
just out of interest who heads the red cross here?

i know in norway its robert mood, nice guy
I think its the big bosses wife
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Just open the borders. They were wide open when this virus was first on the move and it has not had any impact. Nor will a second wave as there are so many people already in the country that have been exposed without any issue. There is no reason to believe that any new carriers into the country will have any more effect than the last carriers.

Keeping borders closed is just self harm on a national scale.

Tourists will return if they can get it, flights will be available if their passengers will be allowed entry unmolested.

A brave decision this month will have a big impact within a few months and Cambodia can put this whole sorry affair behind it.

Come on HE...do it for Cambodia!!! **

(** Conflict of Interest declaration. I am stuck in the UK with no pubs, no pussy and bored out of my brains)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A Cambodian community’s struggle to survive virus economic fallout
Since the outbreak of Covid-19, Cambodia’s urban-poor communities have suffered severe economic shocks and fallen further into poverty. Without a secure social security safety net to fall back on, many are now relying on NGOs to keep them afloat
Christine Redmond
July 2, 2020

For the past three months, Christine Redmond has been documenting the area of Posenchey in the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh, where non-profit organisations have been implementing emergency activities in response to the economic downturn caused by Covid-19.

In the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh, home to over two million people in the metropolitan area, it appears to be business as usual as Covid-19 prevention measures continue to ease.

From the outside, it seems the country has been relatively untouched health-wise, with less than 150 reported cases to date and no deaths. However, the pandemic has already caused economic shocks that the city’s poorest, largely unseen and unheard, are continuing to struggle to recover from.

In Posenchey district, home to an urban poor settlement located along the city’s airport railway line, families are falling further into poverty and children are not only missing out on their education, but also their childhood, as the pressure mounts for them to earn an income in the face of a stuttering economy.

Late last month a government cash transfer programme was announced to support households identified as poor to respond to the needs of the country’s most vulnerable groups. But for the residents of Posenchey, even this lifeline comes at a cost as many need to return to their hometowns in rural provinces to receive the money, necessitating leaving their children behind in the capital.

For twelve year old Chana*, Covid-19 and school closures have led to increased responsibilities. When she’s not caring for her younger siblings, she is on the streets scavenging plastic to support her family. She doesn’t have much time to learn or play anymore but enjoys riding her bike with her friend Ley*, who at just nine years old, is also scavenging plastic to supplement his family’s income.

Both Chana and Ley prefer to scavenge at night when the temperature is cooler. While they’d like to work together and keep each other company during these long nights, they usually separate to avoid directly competing with one another for their income.

Before the pandemic, the families living in the area were already struggling to make ends meet. Over the years, many had relocated to the capital from rural provinces in search of better economic opportunities, only to find themselves in similar or worse situations. Others were pushed out from their homes in the city’s centre, as redevelopment and rising prices forced them to the outskirts.

Largely uneducated, many rely on insecure labour to earn an income, such as plastic scavenging, tuk-tuk and moto taxi driving, dishwashing, cleaning, construction and factory work. But in the months following the Covid-19 outbreak, construction was halted, tourism and travel paused, garment factories closed and even the market value of plastic dropped, meaning work dried up for many of the inhabitants of Posenchey. Coupled with school closures, the suspension of school nutrition programmes, and fears over eviction, these factors are causing increased levels of uncertainty and concern among residents.

Prior to social distancing measures being put in place, non-profit organisations Aide et Action and YMCA were running an informal education centre, offering children a safe space to learn and play during the day as well as a nutrition programme. However, as the centre remains shut, in line with nationwide school closures, the children are playing on the street and access to quality education remains largely out of reach for this population in Posenchey.
https://southeastasiaglobe.com/cambodia ... c-fallout/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

I brought my Mum and brother over to the KOW in Feb and after about 2 hours in PP both commented on the amount of luxury cars they saw, my mum travels to China (Guangdong) once a year for work and was expecting the same sort of conditions in Cambodia but was very surprised at what she saw.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:13 pm Just open the borders. They were wide open when this virus was first on the move and it has not had any impact. Nor will a second wave as there are so many people already in the country that have been exposed without any issue. There is no reason to believe that any new carriers into the country will have any more effect than the last carriers.

Tourists will return if they can get it, flights will be available if their passengers will be allowed entry unmolested.

A brave decision this month will have a big impact within a few months and Cambodia can put this whole sorry affair behind it.

(** Conflict of Interest declaration. I am stuck in the UK with no pubs, no pussy and bored out of my brains)

seriously now..
How many "tourists " do you think will travel to Cambodia, even if they lift all the restrictions,
IF they cant also travel to Vietnam, Laos or Thailand?

id say very few.
Cambodia was, is and will never be a specific single destination, (except for the Chinese) for westerners. Its an add on

Until Thailand opens all borders and removes restrictions, SE Asia will not be popular.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:25 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:13 pm Just open the borders. They were wide open when this virus was first on the move and it has not had any impact. Nor will a second wave as there are so many people already in the country that have been exposed without any issue. There is no reason to believe that any new carriers into the country will have any more effect than the last carriers.

seriously now..
How many "tourists " do you think will travel to Cambodia, even if they lift all the restrictions,
IF they cant also travel to Vietnam, Laos or Thailand?

id say very few.
Cambodia was, is and will never be a specific single destination, (except for the Chinese) for westerners. Its an add on

Until Thailand opens all borders and removes restrictions, SE Asia will not be popular.
@DaveG @ Yerg @atst@ Phnom Poon to name just a few.

That's enough for a piss up. Acorns and oak trees etc...(that's about how long it might take :D )
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Yep and plenty of families getting food and drinks when I get there, if I get any of my $3000 back
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Siem Reap Daily News
Yesterday at 10:08 ·
International aid agency, the World Food Programme, launched its second round of nationwide school food rations on Friday morning in Siem Reap province.
Siem Reap Daily News
2 July at 10:17 ·
MORE GLOOMY FIGURES FROM ANGKOR
Angkor Archaeological Park earned $18,092,550 from the entrance ticket sales in the first semester of this year, a decrease of 67.54% compared to the same period last year.
Tickets were sold to 387, 840 foreign tourists, down 68.83% with the income of more than $775, 680 donated to the Cambodia Kantha Bopha Foundation to support the Kantha Bopha Children's Hospitals.
In June alone, the tickets were sold to 1,747 foreign tourists, down over 98%, generating $71,219 as income.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:07 pm Siem Reap Daily News
International aid agency, the World Food Programme, launched its second round of nationwide school food rations on Friday morning in Siem Reap province.
Meanwhile........a brand spanking new 30 million dollar CPP headquarters gets inaugurated.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Brody wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:40 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:07 pm Siem Reap Daily News
Meanwhile........a brand spanking new 30 million dollar CPP headquarters gets inaugurated.
And 290 new military trucks to transport the poor people to the celebration and carry all the food . It's looking good
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic