Asian Dating Site Names Battambang as City of the Month

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Asian Dating Site Names Battambang as City of the Month

Post by Jerry Atrick »

^
Yeah, highest concentration of ladyboys of anywhere in Cambodia, except maybe Soksan in S.R after midnight. There's a number of articles on this.

That aside, it's a nice town; a bit like Kampot before three years ago, but busier, good selection of world foods, decent Khmer food, nice countryside attractions etc. Too many missionary types, but they avoid normies.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

But can one get by without knowing Khmer?
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Wasn't going to check out this thread but I'm glad I did because the later posts hooked me, especially the General's photos.

I'm all about the quiet, easy life. All I need is a couple of good bars, decent restaurants, nice accommodations, some walkable streets. Now, what about grocery shopping, as in Angkor Mart, Lucky or Thai Huot?

I'm getting anxious to get out of Prayut Ville -- when conditions permit. And these days VN is not looking so good in terms of long-term visas.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:48 pm But can one get by without knowing Khmer?
Yes, you can because of it being a University town, and their very forward in saying hello and wanting to chat with you. Can also take the train there now from Phnom Penh.
General that hotel I remember did awesome pizza. Also on the way to the bat caves on the highway too the left is Cool Water Lake good for a free swim, restaurant there too. Lots of croc farms, 80+ I believe.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Kind of funny about the mention of a lotta ladyboys. Looking again at the OP pic, could be. I don't care, I dont bother them and they dont bother me.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

I'll be back in a jiffy
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I found the town very quiet with plenty of nice restaurants, riverside was good for a walk along at night, the market is great I thought was better than most markets, I'd think about living there for a while no problem accommodation cheaper than PP, but getting there from PP was shit with the roadwork
Lots of expats if that's what you want
Here's the black fella
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:00 pm
General Mackevili wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:11 am I love Battambang, but it moves at a slower pace than other 'cities' in Cambodia. We're always back and forth between Battambang and Bangkok, and it's not too bad of a trip. It's gotten a lot better in recent years as more cafes and bars have opened up, but it's still a laid back place.

You have a farm near Battambang?
When you quote you can delete photos. It saves space and we have all seen them in original post. :hattip:

Ps.

Sometimes the bridges are not needed when the river drops. Photo taken from hotel as people walk across the river. 2015
ImageImage
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:30 pm Wasn't going to check out this thread but I'm glad I did because the later posts hooked me, especially the General's photos.

I'm all about the quiet, easy life. All I need is a couple of good bars, decent restaurants, nice accommodations, some walkable streets. Now, what about grocery shopping, as in Angkor Mart, Lucky or Thai Huot?

I'm getting anxious to get out of Prayut Ville -- when conditions permit. And these days VN is not looking so good in terms of long-term visas.
There's a Lucky now, and there's another big supermarket called Heng Chhay Ly too, and one "mart". Don't expect the kind of variety you get in PP or SR, but you can get most of your needs here these days.

Another great thing about BTB is the traffic, very chill.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:00 pm
You have a farm near Battambang?
No, but my better half's family does.
Duncan wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:08 pm
And you have a gym. ? :stir:
LoL, just one of the the 50 cents gyms we go to around here. Classy Hotel has a decent gym too, but costs a lot more.
Phnom Poon wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:44 pm
what did she think of the book?
personally i think debt is the problem, not the solution.
Haha, we have talked about this book, and while I think it makes some good 'points,' it's not an ideal business for everyone. She liked it though, and was reading it because she and her friends were going to Bangkok for the author's seminar. She didn't sign up or whatever they were trying to get attendees to do, but liked hearing from people who had actually followed what's in the book and started various community enriching businesses (or whatever they call them).
siliconlife wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:36 pm There's lots to do in BTB if you don't need INSTANT gratification, or hyper tourist-oriented attractions. Great place to live. None of my friends here have problems getting dates. Way less of the seedy bullshit that you get in other cities, too. And if it (or anywhere in Cambodia) is too far away for you to go, try driving. It's faster.
True that. And Here Be Dragons is a fun place for drinks as well. Glad we got to meet up there recently.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic