Danish Resident Experiences Discrimination in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Danish Resident Experiences Discrimination in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Danish Jacob will be discriminated against in Cambodia: ‘They will not serve me’
By BTNEWS -
2 May 2020
‘We are closed!!!’

It is the three English words followed by three exclamation points, which right now is pasted up on countless shops around in Cambodia. And it was the Danish Jacob Mark, who is a resident of the country, because he could see that the locals wandering in and out of the stores.

And it is a good reason why they do.

above the English sentence is which namely written a completely different message in the cambodian language called ‘khmer’.

the Sign, which hangs on the butiksruder and doors in Cambodia, where in English, there is closed, and on the cambodian stands, that is open as normal. Photo: Cambodia Expats Online Show more the Sign that hangs on the butiksruder and doors in Cambodia, where in English, there is closed, and on the cambodian stands, that is open as normal. Photo: Cambodia Expats Online

“I went past the sign with a tuk-tuk driver and asked him: ‘Why is there that they are closed when people go into?’ And then he said, that there was, that there were open on their language,” says the 41-year-old Jacob Mark.

B. T. has submitted a photo of the sign for Tithira Hing from English-Cambodian Association, who speak the cambodian language khmer fluently. And according to him, is that really enough: ‘We are open as normal.’

In the Facebook group ‘Cambodia Expats Online’ are also fallen over the sign on the streets and alleys, and a user writes under a photo of it:

‘It’s happening all across Cambodia. They are closed to foreigners, but are only open for Khmer people!! If they do not have the sign, they will ask you to go,’ write to him.

B. T. could Friday tell the story of the two Danish men Jannick Christensen and Claus ‘Montana’ Bøll in Vietnam and Cambodia, where they are both experiences to be discriminated against on the basis of their western appearance. After the articles have been brought have more people in the area made B. T. note that it is an image, they can not recognize.

Jacob Mark has lived in Cambodia for several years, where he the past three years has operated a hotel in Phnom Penh. And he can clearly feel, how the corona-the crisis has affected the locals.

They are enormously afraid, and especially for westerners who are the ones who bring the infection with them.

in any case It is the rumors that abound around in the cambodian cities and communities:

the 41-year-old Jacob Mark, who resides in Cambodia. Show more 41-year-old Jacob Mark, who resides in Cambodia.

“People have a feeling that there is more to the story than what is being said officially, and therefore, using the rumors as an equally good source of information, as the official media,” says Jacob Mark and hold a short pause, before he continues:

“It is rooted in ignorance and scare tactics from abroad.”

He has recently even been out for more episodes, where it has been evident how the locals ‘ fear quickly develops into a discriminatory behaviour.

“If I go into the local market in my own neighbourhood, jumps a meter back away from me,” says Jacob Mark, and compare their treatment of the local with the, he receives:

“They are serving a local without the face mask with maybe a little bit rynken on the nose, but to me they will not serve,” he says.

recently, he was in the market to buy vegetables, but it should prove to be a decidedly impossible mission.

“I tried to initiate a conversation about some carrots, but that was completely closed. We should not talk about. I just had to get away,” says James, Mark and tells how they stood and waved their arms to get him to disappear.

“I thought it was a little exaggerated. Especially because there are so minimal spread of infection in the country. But I understand it’s probably less there than I do now. I have found out how difficult it is for them to find and understand information. It is a population where a large proportion of them are illiterate,” says Jacob Mark.

The most recent experience he has had, where he was at the bar with three of his servants, is the, that has set itself most strongly in him.

“That was taken a bottle of håndsprit forward only to me. I was the only one who just had to spritte hands, before I had to get into,” he says.

Suddenly it became very clear, as he stood there in front of his employees and felt like a weirdo.

“I joked a bit with it, but said no. If it were me, I would probably have chosen that all should be equal and spritte, so it not seemed so discriminatory,” he says, and concludes:

“If I were infected, they were enough too.”
https://www.globaldomainsnews.com/danis ... t-serve-me
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Danish Resident Experiences Discrimination in Phnom Penh

Post by General Mackevili »

Those signs are pretty ingenious, I'll give them that, LoL.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I tried to read the article but gave up one sentence in. Google translate, I guess?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Snowflakes - always banging on about discrimination.
They should go take a good hard look at themselves if they want to know why nobody wants them around.

“I tried to initiate a conversation about some carrots"
:facepalm:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

hanno wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:51 am I tried to read the article but gave up one sentence in. Google translate, I guess?
@hanno
The translation is terrible, but I thought the topic was of interest, so posted it as it was published by global domain news and BT News: https://www.globaldomainsnews.com/danis ... t-serve-me
Unfortunately, I have not been able to trace the original source, which is probably Danish. If there are any Danes out there, maybe they could find it and translate ?
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Maybe this guy can help :)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Yobbo wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:26 am Maybe this guy can help :)
Isn't he Swedish?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:06 am
hanno wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:51 am I tried to read the article but gave up one sentence in. Google translate, I guess?
@hanno
The translation is terrible, but I thought the topic was of interest, so posted it as it was published by global domain news and BT News: https://www.globaldomainsnews.com/danis ... t-serve-me
Unfortunately, I have not been able to trace the original source, which is probably Danish. If there are any Danes out there, maybe they could find it and translate ?
[/q@hanno

Yes, I'd love to know what a "rynken" is.
They are serving a local without the face mask with maybe a little bit rynken on the nose, but to me they will not serve,” he says
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

hanno wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:40 am
Yobbo wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:26 am Maybe this guy can help :)
Isn't he Swedish?
A Kiwi may say I want sux bro but i still understand him!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

hanno wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:41 am
Yes, I'd love to know what a "rynken" is.
I will let you in on a little secret i picked up years ago, Hanno.
Ever since i have become a practioner of Norwegian Face Yoga i have never again needed to use botox for my nose rynken.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic