Danish Resident Experiences Discrimination in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Danish Resident Experiences Discrimination in Phnom Penh

Post by rexwell »

Danish
Etymology 1
From Swedish rynka

Noun
rynke c (singular definite rynken, plural indefinite rynker)

wrinkle (in the skin)
Last edited by rexwell on Mon May 04, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

hanno wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:51 am I tried to read the article but gave up one sentence in. Google translate, I guess?
Yep paragragh 1 makes no sense. Stopped there. And: TLDR
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

rexwell wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:58 am
hanno wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:41 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:06 am
hanno wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:51 am I tried to read the article but gave up one sentence in. Google translate, I guess?
@hanno
The translation is terrible, but I thought the topic was of interest, so posted it as it was published by global domain news and BT News: https://www.globaldomainsnews.com/danis ... t-serve-me
Unfortunately, I have not been able to trace the original source, which is probably Danish. If there are any Danes out there, maybe they could find it and translate ?

Yes, I'd love to know what a "rynken" is.
They are serving a local without the face mask with maybe a little bit rynken on the nose, but to me they will not serve,” he says
[/@hanno
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/rynke
Danish
Etymology 1
From Swedish rynka

Noun
rynke c (singular definite rynken, plural indefinite rynker)

wrinkle (in the skin)

Suggested translation: "They (Khmer vendors) will sell to Cambodians who are not wearing a mask, even if they turn up their noses a little, but they won't serve me" (barang, presumably wearing a face mask.)
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
BiggieBig
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BiggieBig »

Are these westerners not wearing gloves and masks? Would they be more likely to serve them if they took their own precautions? Or are they just turning people away left and right? Sounds harsh
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

BiggieBig wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:16 pm Are these westerners not wearing gloves and masks? Would they be more likely to serve them if they took their own precautions? Or are they just turning people away left and right? Sounds harsh
I don't know, but I'd say that this article was written around Khmer NY, about a month ago. At that time, there were several coronavirus outbreaks in Cambodia associated with foreigners - two big clusters at the time were caused by a tourist group arriving from France, and also a group of Cambodians and Malaysians who attended a religious event in Malaysia. Local Cambodians were rightly afraid of contamination from these two outside sources.
I remember that was about the time when we started to wear masks to go shopping, but I never had a problem with being served. However, for about a week or ten days, people were nervous about foreigners being carriers of the virus. That has calmed down now.

So my idea is that this article was written about a month ago when there was a lot of anxiety about coronavirus, but this has passed now. It would be good to hear from the Danish man quoted in article if he still feels discriminated against, or if he thinks this feeling has passed.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Just don't frequent places which behave that way in the future. Let your dollars speak vs getting angry at any discrimination.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic