Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

Post by Marty »

Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:58 am
jaynewcastle wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:24 am
AndyKK wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:26 pm So it seems we don't have sympathy for tuk-tuk drivers, I thought of them a little better when the App drivers came into play, with the more or less fairness in price. Some didn't because some drivers again found the way to cheat the customer. But with the situation like other trades they are suffering a loss. It does surprise me even so that tourists are the bulk of their earnings in Phnom Penh.
If they're charging tourists 3,4 or5 times as much for the same trip that locals/expats would pay, its not a surprise anymore I suppose

Hanging around the hotels, looking for much-inflated fares is probably quite profitable, compared to working a 15hr shift for normal fares

Some of the fares mentioned on here are bullshit though. Just like some people say the going rate for a stunna from pontoon for the night is $10 if you know what you're doing, there's a couple on here just dropping in that the normal rate is about 1000 riel for 1km or something. A reasonable price for a ride across the centre of town's about 2.5-3 dollars. Yes of course some of the drivers of traditional tuks will try to rip you off, and might get away with it late at night, but some of the cheap fares suggested on this thread are bullshit imo.
OK you say the low fares quoted are BS. What about the huge lobster dinners I remember getting there for $1? Or are they up to $1.50 now?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

My distinction is if I choose to pay the higher fare it was a rippoff but some slimy taxi or tuktuk dude did not rip me off. They are very passive people laying around most of the day. A ripoff artist aggressively takes my money. And I have paid the higher fare before whatever reason knowing its too high. So by your logic the passapp or grab drivers are being ripped off by me because I'm not paying enough. And I never tip anywhere in Asia. It aint a thing. Logic. Pretzel logic.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Marty wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:29 am
Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:58 am Just like some people say the going rate for a stunna from pontoon for the night is $10 if you know what you're doing,
What about the huge lobster dinners I remember getting there for $1? Or are they up to $1.50 now?
Huge lobster dinners for a dollar!
At Pontoon?
Ah ha, now i finally get why so many expats dine there so regularly.

Flock, even at a buck50 i might go along and have all my fantasies come true.
Waiter - 3 lobster dinners to take home please.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:47 am
Marty wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:29 am
Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:58 am Just like some people say the going rate for a stunna from pontoon for the night is $10 if you know what you're doing,
What about the huge lobster dinners I remember getting there for $1? Or are they up to $1.50 now?
Huge lobster dinners for a dollar!
At Pontoon?
Ah ha, now i finally get why so many expats dine there so regularly.

Flock, even at a buck50 i might go along and have all my fantasies come true.
Waiter - 3 lobster dinners to take home please.
https://y.yarn.co/06cdf0a4-bb1c-4f12-a7 ... 8568337555
Silence, exile, and cunning.
numacsys
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by numacsys »

A tuktuk driver parked next to where I live has conjured up a creative but risky alternative. He offers the ride for free. When you accept the offer, he constantly talks about how hard life has become, his kids' school fees (he will show pics of them), his ill wife, his tuktuk's monthly installment payments to some microfinance in Steung Meanchey. He rains down compliments about how good, fortunate and lucky I am. The topic is steered (and pressed) towards a potential donation. Usually on an "up to you" basis.

I only take Grab now.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

numacsys wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 pm A tuktuk driver parked next to where I live has conjured up a creative but risky alternative. He offers the ride for free. When you accept the offer, he constantly talks about how hard life has become, his kids' school fees (he will show pics of them), his ill wife, his tuktuk's monthly installment payments to some microfinance in Steung Meanchey. He rains down compliments about how good, fortunate and lucky I am. The topic is steered (and pressed) towards a potential donation. Usually on an "up to you" basis.

I only take Grab now.
Who don't you just pay him hat you would pay for a Grab ride? Win-win. He makes a buck, even a bit more because he doesn't pay commission, and you enjoy your ride in silence.

Times are tough for tuk tuk drivers these days. Far less rides, and many still have to make payments for their tuk tuk.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Why not use that dude and wear earplugs or wireless earphones concealed under a hat or long hair? Or just ignore him during the ride? Free is free.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

Can I just say that I apologise for referring to, "the going rate for a stunna". Doesn't seem right reading it back.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

numacsys wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 pm A tuktuk driver parked next to where I live has conjured up a creative but risky alternative. He offers the ride for free. When you accept the offer, he constantly talks about how hard life has become, his kids' school fees (he will show pics of them), his ill wife, his tuktuk's monthly installment payments to some microfinance in Steung Meanchey. He rains down compliments about how good, fortunate and lucky I am. The topic is steered (and pressed) towards a potential donation. Usually on an "up to you" basis.

I only take Grab now.
yeah that sounds worse. the way to do it imo is just be polite, fairly quiet yet pleasant, not ask a load of questions that are none of your business, drive where you're asked to drive not where you think would be a good place to drive, and look a bit poor. that's maximum fare range territory for me.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I only take Grab now.
One of the most unsettling experiences for a expat, an more so a tourist, just about everywhere in developing Asia
is asking how much something cost, (a ride, a girl, a bottle of water, a trinket etc etc) and the reply

"up to you"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic