Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
Marty
Expatriate
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:20 am
Reputation: 197
Canada

Re: Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

Post by Marty » Mon May 04, 2020 11:29 am

Foreigner wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:58 am
jaynewcastle wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:24 am
AndyKK wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:26 pm
So it seems we don't have sympathy for tuk-tuk drivers, I thought of them a little better when the App drivers came into play, with the more or less fairness in price. Some didn't because some drivers again found the way to cheat the customer. But with the situation like other trades they are suffering a loss. It does surprise me even so that tourists are the bulk of their earnings in Phnom Penh.
If they're charging tourists 3,4 or5 times as much for the same trip that locals/expats would pay, its not a surprise anymore I suppose

Hanging around the hotels, looking for much-inflated fares is probably quite profitable, compared to working a 15hr shift for normal fares

Some of the fares mentioned on here are bullshit though. Just like some people say the going rate for a stunna from pontoon for the night is $10 if you know what you're doing, there's a couple on here just dropping in that the normal rate is about 1000 riel for 1km or something. A reasonable price for a ride across the centre of town's about 2.5-3 dollars. Yes of course some of the drivers of traditional tuks will try to rip you off, and might get away with it late at night, but some of the cheap fares suggested on this thread are bullshit imo.
OK you say the low fares quoted are BS. What about the huge lobster dinners I remember getting there for $1? Or are they up to $1.50 now?
User avatar
Marty
Expatriate
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:20 am
Reputation: 197
Canada

Re: Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

Post by Marty » Mon May 04, 2020 11:36 am

My distinction is if I choose to pay the higher fare it was a rippoff but some slimy taxi or tuktuk dude did not rip me off. They are very passive people laying around most of the day. A ripoff artist aggressively takes my money. And I have paid the higher fare before whatever reason knowing its too high. So by your logic the passapp or grab drivers are being ripped off by me because I'm not paying enough. And I never tip anywhere in Asia. It aint a thing. Logic. Pretzel logic.
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 3195
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 1904
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Mon May 04, 2020 11:47 am

Marty wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:29 am
Foreigner wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:58 am
Just like some people say the going rate for a stunna from pontoon for the night is $10 if you know what you're doing,
What about the huge lobster dinners I remember getting there for $1? Or are they up to $1.50 now?
Huge lobster dinners for a dollar!
At Pontoon?
Ah ha, now i finally get why so many expats dine there so regularly.

Flock, even at a buck50 i might go along and have all my fantasies come true.
Waiter - 3 lobster dinners to take home please.
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 3562
Yemen

Re: Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

Post by John Bingham » Mon May 04, 2020 11:59 am

SternAAlbifrons wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:47 am
Marty wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:29 am
Foreigner wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:58 am
Just like some people say the going rate for a stunna from pontoon for the night is $10 if you know what you're doing,
What about the huge lobster dinners I remember getting there for $1? Or are they up to $1.50 now?
Huge lobster dinners for a dollar!
At Pontoon?
Ah ha, now i finally get why so many expats dine there so regularly.

Flock, even at a buck50 i might go along and have all my fantasies come true.
Waiter - 3 lobster dinners to take home please.
https://y.yarn.co/06cdf0a4-bb1c-4f12-a7 ... 8568337555
numacsys
Expatriate
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:56 am
Reputation: 12
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

Post by numacsys » Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 pm

A tuktuk driver parked next to where I live has conjured up a creative but risky alternative. He offers the ride for free. When you accept the offer, he constantly talks about how hard life has become, his kids' school fees (he will show pics of them), his ill wife, his tuktuk's monthly installment payments to some microfinance in Steung Meanchey. He rains down compliments about how good, fortunate and lucky I am. The topic is steered (and pressed) towards a potential donation. Usually on an "up to you" basis.

I only take Grab now.
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 2689
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 974
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

Post by Kammekor » Mon May 04, 2020 12:15 pm

numacsys wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 pm
A tuktuk driver parked next to where I live has conjured up a creative but risky alternative. He offers the ride for free. When you accept the offer, he constantly talks about how hard life has become, his kids' school fees (he will show pics of them), his ill wife, his tuktuk's monthly installment payments to some microfinance in Steung Meanchey. He rains down compliments about how good, fortunate and lucky I am. The topic is steered (and pressed) towards a potential donation. Usually on an "up to you" basis.

I only take Grab now.
Who don't you just pay him hat you would pay for a Grab ride? Win-win. He makes a buck, even a bit more because he doesn't pay commission, and you enjoy your ride in silence.

Times are tough for tuk tuk drivers these days. Far less rides, and many still have to make payments for their tuk tuk.
User avatar
Marty
Expatriate
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:20 am
Reputation: 197
Canada

Re: Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

Post by Marty » Mon May 04, 2020 12:18 pm

Why not use that dude and wear earplugs or wireless earphones concealed under a hat or long hair? Or just ignore him during the ride? Free is free.
Foreigner
BANNED
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 1:44 am
Reputation: 105
Great Britain

Re: Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

Post by Foreigner » Mon May 04, 2020 12:52 pm

Can I just say that I apologise for referring to, "the going rate for a stunna". Doesn't seem right reading it back.
Foreigner
BANNED
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 1:44 am
Reputation: 105
Great Britain

Re: Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

Post by Foreigner » Mon May 04, 2020 12:58 pm

numacsys wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 pm
A tuktuk driver parked next to where I live has conjured up a creative but risky alternative. He offers the ride for free. When you accept the offer, he constantly talks about how hard life has become, his kids' school fees (he will show pics of them), his ill wife, his tuktuk's monthly installment payments to some microfinance in Steung Meanchey. He rains down compliments about how good, fortunate and lucky I am. The topic is steered (and pressed) towards a potential donation. Usually on an "up to you" basis.

I only take Grab now.
yeah that sounds worse. the way to do it imo is just be polite, fairly quiet yet pleasant, not ask a load of questions that are none of your business, drive where you're asked to drive not where you think would be a good place to drive, and look a bit poor. that's maximum fare range territory for me.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11023
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2629
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

Post by phuketrichard » Mon May 04, 2020 1:03 pm

numacsys wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 pm
A tuktuk driver parked next to where I live has conjured up a creative but risky alternative. He offers the ride for free. When you accept the offer, he constantly talks about how hard life has become, his kids' school fees (he will show pics of them), his ill wife, his tuktuk's monthly installment payments to some microfinance in Steung Meanchey. He rains down compliments about how good, fortunate and lucky I am. The topic is steered (and pressed) towards a potential donation. Usually on an "up to you" basis.

I only take Grab now.
One of the most unsettling experiences for a expat, an more so a tourist, just about everywhere in developing Asia
is asking how much something cost, (a ride, a girl, a bottle of water, a trinket etc etc) and the reply

"up to you"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anty, Ghostwriter, Google [Bot], jjy, phuketrichard, pissontheroof, Ricky Shaw and 177 guests