Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Re: Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers are Feeling the Coronavirus Slowdown

Post by Foreigner »

frizzie77 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:17 am
Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:58 am some of the cheap fares suggested on this thread are bullshit imo.
Maybe, but can you then explain why 95% of locals now use PassApp/Grab etc. instead of the traditional tuk tuk? It must be because of them offering better quality, right? Oops, I mean better (read: lower) rates.

By the way, do you have any experience with the rates of PassApp/Grab and the likes compared to what the traditional tuk tuk tries to get off you?
Fair enough. If you say that fares are cheaper that way then I take that at face value, and appreciate the information.

I'd still be surprised if 1000 riel would cover a kilometre. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but a tuktuk no chance. Not even the newer little ones, which I'd suggest work out at minimum 2000 riel per k, and a traditional large tuktuk probably close to double that even daytime.

Tbh I think that even in south east asia that's good value, and whilst I understand people getting the best value, I don't think anyone can have any complaints at 2k for a dollar.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:35 am
Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:58 am some of the cheap fares suggested on this thread are bullshit imo.
Maybe, but can you then explain why 95% of locals now use PassApp/Grab etc. instead of the traditional tuk tuk? It must be because of them offering better quality, right? Oops, I mean better (read: lower) rates.

By the way, do you have any experience with the rates of PassApp/Grab and the likes compared to what the traditional tuk tuk tries to get off you?
Fair enough. If you say that fares are cheaper that way then I take that at face value, and appreciate the information.

I'd still be surprised if 1000 riel would cover a kilometre. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but a tuktuk no chance. Not even the newer little ones, which I'd suggest work out at minimum 2000 riel per k, and a traditional large tuktuk probably close to double that even daytime.

Tbh I think that even in south east asia that's good value, and whilst I understand people getting the best value, I don't think anyone can have any complaints at 2k for a dollar.
By tuc-tuc pass app there is a minimum charge of 3000reil the journey from Wat Phnom to the Royal Palace is 4200reil for the journey distance of 2km

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

AndyKK wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:20 am

By tuc-tuc pass app there is a minimum charge of 3000reil the journey from Wat Phnom to the Royal Palace is 4200reil for the journey distance of 2km

Interesting. I reckon just grabbing one of the little white tuks would be about the same fare for that ride, and I think it's a fair price. If there was no meter and I was asked for 6000 for that journey I'd not argue.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:28 am

Interesting. I reckon just grabbing one of the little white tuks would be about the same fare for that ride, and I think it's a fair price. If there was no meter and I was asked for 6000 for that journey I'd not argue.
Yes if you wave them down, I think they add another 3000reil.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

AndyKK wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:32 am
Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:28 am

Yes if you wave them down, I think they add another 3000reil.
but very often the metre's not on. more times than not i'd expect a driver of a little tuk to be quite happy with 6000 for that run.

although it never ceases to amaze me how almost none of the drivers of the little tuks have even a basic concept of how the city is laid out in a grid in numerical order, they are far more likely in my experience to accept a reasonable fare without any complaint and often even with gratitude than a driver of a big tuk, or even a freelance moto rider.

edit: btw, i'm not sure you're right about the 3000 extra. if the metre's on there's a minimum far but i'm not sure it's strictly additional ?
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I wonder what I would do if I were a Tuk Tuk driver and met a first time tourist or any rich looking barang. Probably trying to squeeze out as much as possible I guess. Would I have any remorse doing so? Probably not a second as I would do everything to feed and house my family and give my kids the best possible education I may afford.
Last edited by truffledog on Mon May 04, 2020 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

truffledog wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:09 am I wonder what I would do if I were a Tuk Tuk driver and met a first time tourist or any rich looking barang. Probably trying to squeeze out as much as possible I guess. Would I have any remorse doing so? Probably not a second as I would do everything to feed and house my family and give my kids the best possible education I may afford.
By that logic you would happily steal from the tourist to feed your family as well. Even assault the tourist to take his or her money ???? Where's the line ?

Personally if I discuss price in advance with the driver (usually I don't), and I'm quoted a price that I think's much too high, I'll just walk off, and no matter how much the driver comes after me saying a reasonable price I'll not even give him the time of day once he's tried to rip me off. So for me the driver's already gone over where I see the line by even suggesting an exorbitant fee, and in the case of my custom he will have done a disservice to himself, and not necessarily to me.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:34 am
truffledog wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:09 am I wonder what I would do if I were a Tuk Tuk driver and met a first time tourist or any rich looking barang. Probably trying to squeeze out as much as possible I guess. Would I have any remorse doing so? Probably not a second as I would do everything to feed and house my family and give my kids the best possible education I may afford.
By that logic you would happily steal from the tourist to feed your family as well. Even assault the tourist to take his or her money ???? Where's the line ?

Personally if I discuss price in advance with the driver (usually I don't), and I'm quoted a price that I think's much too high, I'll just walk off, and no matter how much the driver comes after me saying a reasonable price I'll not even give him the time of day once he's tried to rip me off. So for me the driver's already gone over where I see the line by even suggesting an exorbitant fee, and in the case of my custom he will have done a disservice to himself, and not necessarily to me.
Stealing (or even assaulting) and trying to get the best possible price out of a deal by fair means are 2 differenty things. Cant follow your logic.

Getting a tuk tuk without aksing for a price is like ordering a beer in a pub and when the bill comes you pay what you think is right???? And then you start arguing that the last beer you had in another place was cheaper? Cmon.

No tuk tuk driver has ever pointed a gun at me forcing me to take a ride at his price. Once you agree your deal is done. Whinging afterwards that you have been ripped off is a matter of beeing a pussy or not. Walk off and get another one or shut up and pay what you agreed on. With every product or service you buy every day you will be "ripped off" as someone else will offer that same product or service at a better price just around the corner. It feels bad knowing that someone else paid less for the same deal but thats the daily reality.
work is for people who cant find truffles
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

As you clearly demonstrate in your second paragraph, Foreigner, it is a negotiated transaction.
Where did the "stealing" that you opened the post with come into the equation.

To me this is an indication of the suspicious little minds that some foreigner bring to their transactions with tuk tuk drivers.
A little secret - tuk tuk drivers have a particular contempt for suspicious little foreigners.
I respect and admire solo, traditional tuk tuk drivers and that shows in the first nano-second of the negotiations.
As a result my relationship with them has been one of the most rewarding parts of my many years in Cambodia.
And who, with any taste and style, would ride in one of those grubby little three wheeled rat cages in preference to a high riding coach fit for a king.

Grubbing it in a poxy little stiffling tin foil box is not how i save my dollar or two per day. I do that by staying away from much bigger rip off like tourist guest houses, drinking too much booze and eating english breakfasts.
If you plan to stay here for a long time and are not prepared to ride a motor bike yourself, a good relationships with a few traditional tuk tuk men is one of the best investments you can make.
And if you do your research on locations a fares, you will never get ripped off.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:53 am

As you clearly demonstrate in your second paragraph, Foreigner, it is a negotiated transaction.
Where did the "stealing" that you opened the post with come into the equation.

To me this is an indication of the suspicious little minds that some foreigner bring to their transactions with tuk tuk drivers.
A little secret - tuk tuk drivers have a particular contempt for suspicious little foreigners.
I respect and admire solo, traditional tuk tuk drivers and that shows in the first nano-second of the negotiations.
As a result my relationship with them has been one of the most rewarding parts of my many years in Cambodia.
And who, with any taste and style, would ride in one of those grubby little three wheeled rat cages in preference to a high riding coach fit for a king.

Grubbing it in a poxy little stiffling tin foil box is not how i save my dollar or two per day. I do that by staying away from much bigger rip off like tourist guest houses, drinking too much booze and eating english breakfasts.
If you plan to stay here for a long time and are not prepared to ride a motor bike yourself, a good relationships with a few traditional tuk tuk men is one of the best investments you can make.
And if you do your research on locations a fares, you will never get ripped off.
Of course you are right. I have a little mind and am a little foreigner. I think that that sorts the subject matter of the conversation out nicely. Are we done here now ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic