When To Book Flights To Thailand?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Re: When To Book Flights To Thailand?

Post by Dunderhead »

Thanks for the update, Air Asia is doing their best to stay alive financially but selling tickets on flights they know are very likely never happening and then offering coupons instead of refunds is pretty dodgy. Buyer beware.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

DaveG wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:05 pm The other issue is the Cov 19 negative test certificate..
We can buy one here in UK for 149 quid but the 3 to 5 day turn around time is useless. :BangHead:
Blood tests:

Phnom Penh...Sample in morning...results in afternoon

London NHS...Sample in morning...result in 2 or 3 weeks. And sent to your doctor, not you.

This is the biggest problem, the NHS is useless when it comes to speed and all the private sector has to do is beat them by 2 weeks and they get the business.
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

Dunderhead wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:35 pm Shutting down your economy because of a virus and has killed less than 100 people is not a decision made on the basis of public health.
Someone will say "The only reason it has killed less than 100 people is because we restricted public interactions." And they'd be right.
TheImplication
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by TheImplication »

Josh_76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:31 am
Dunderhead wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:35 pm Shutting down your economy because of a virus and has killed less than 100 people is not a decision made on the basis of public health.
Someone will say "The only reason it has killed less than 100 people is because we restricted public interactions." And they'd be right.
So do the same for the regular flu and save even more lives.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

My understanding is it's not the airlines shutting down they have been instructed by governments
If I had a airline I'd still fly , no need to issue credits , most people would cancel flights not wanting to do 14 days isolation both ways, so I'd be flying empty planes with every seat paid for, cheap fuel , profits would be up.
Governments need to change their minds before flights can return, strange times indeed, I keep thinking something else is going on but what?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Well the short version is it is a cover-up for a financial collapse that was going to happen anyway but that's off topic
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Some very disappointing news released Saturday night. Thailand has extended the ban on incoming passenger flights till June 30. Out-freakin-rageous.
The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) on Saturday announced it will renew the ban on international commercial flights into the kingdom until the end of next month to continue the fight against Covid-19.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... efore-july

What the story doesn't provide is political or public health authority commentary justifying the ban extension, just the Thai civil air authority's bare decision. And nothing from Prayut or the cabinet from a government news conference.

Bangkok Post and Bangkok Nation have similar stories but interestingly enough nothing from Khaosod English News and nothing posted on the Thaivisa forum pages.

I just don't understand where they're going with this, although some expats have said Thailand is still expecting thousands more Thais to be repatriated and need June to catch up. Maybe.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

posted yesterday

Phuket airport was due to open today, but they are keeping it closed indefinitely .
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

atst wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:57 am My understanding is it's not the airlines shutting down they have been instructed by governments
If I had a airline I'd still fly , no need to issue credits , most people would cancel flights not wanting to do 14 days isolation both ways, so I'd be flying empty planes with every seat paid for, cheap fuel , profits would be up.
Governments need to change their minds before flights can return, strange times indeed, I keep thinking something else is going on but what?
I don’t think opening the airports will really safe the tourism industry at the moment. Apart from a few returnees and desperates (like Doc67 😂, sorry) there will be little demand.

- there is a massive recession going on and millions lost there jobs and income
- although we know that the risks are minimal but many people are genuinely scared of getting infected
- the quarantine requirements (which surely will be in place for a while) on arrival and upon returning home, cost you an extra month
- many companies don’t allow their employees to travel (also privately)

So you’ll get perhaps 5-10% of normal tourism figures. Not enough, me thinks, for them to take the plunge.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

You would most probably be denied travel insurance if you got crook as well so it would be a risky and possibly expensive trip. We all know insurance companies will use any excuse to refuse a payout so anything that could be refused would be.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic