When To Book Flights To Thailand?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: When To Book Flights To Thailand?

Post by Doc67 »

Dunderhead wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:35 pm No have no property in Thailand and yes you are right the same applies to any town or city that was dependent on tourism. Shutting down your economy because of a virus and has killed less than 100 people is not a decision made on the basis of public health.
I think you make a good point. This is all so new but it must be starting to bite hard further up the food chain.

When their business tenants fold up, their apartments are empty and all their rents have dried up, but their family outgoings remain the same, many wealthy people are going to start counting their real costs., payable now, plus a new value of 'no bid' on your apartment and commercial portfolio.

Suddenly the estimated costs to the global tourism sector of $450 Billion and 75 million jobs (50 Millions in Asia Pacific) will seems far of and remote, but their new negative cash flow and unsaleable assets is going to be very close and personal.

Politicians respond to pressure, so how much can be exerted by the economic players rather than the health players will be critical in securing a change of direction in policy on tourism.

https://www.statista.com/topics/6224/co ... -industry/
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

The government is clearly eager to reboot Thailand's sizable tourist industry. There has been an increasing number of proposals lately, ranging from testing passengers on arrival to collecting a "tax" for mandatory pandemic insurance from all travelers.

Offering some kind of government backed insurance coverage actually isn't such a bad idea, considering that most if not all travel insurance policies exclude coverage for pandemics.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

That government backed health insurance paid for by tourist tax sound's like a very good idea
Cost should be quite low unless you are really old. Let's hope those in power decide to relax their grip a little
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Thailand offers a covid insurance policy valid for 1 year, no age restrictions for only 450/850 baht

450 baht
50,000 baht for hospitalization
In case of death 500,000 baht will go to your beneficiary.

850 baht
100,000 baht for hospitalization
In case of death 1,000,000 baht will go to your beneficiary.

I think a policy offered on arrival is a good idea
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Dunderhead wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:39 pm That government backed health insurance paid for by tourist tax sound's like a very good idea
Cost should be quite low unless you are really old. Let's hope those in power decide to relax their grip a little
All I want is permission to transit en route to PP. Is that too much to ask?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:56 pm Thailand offers a covid insurance policy valid for 1 year, no age restrictions for only 450/850 baht

450 baht

850 baht

Is that just for tourists with a maximum stay?
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Alex wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:34 pm The government is clearly eager to reboot Thailand's sizable tourist industry. There has been an increasing number of proposals lately, ranging from testing passengers on arrival to collecting a "tax" for mandatory pandemic insurance from all travelers.

Offering some kind of government backed insurance coverage actually isn't such a bad idea, considering that most if not all travel insurance policies exclude coverage for pandemics.
Okay, I'll go against the grain on this one.

As you know Thailand's been trying to get that juicy across the board insurance revenue earning foreigner tax in for a few years, maybe now it sees the perfect opportunity. 20-40 million x 300 baht = 6-12 billion in annually, vs how much is likely to be paid out given the tourist market is more heavily skewed towards the Asian/Asean markets who are typically short stay package tourists, certainly less than a 14 day covid incubation period.

I see it as nothing more than a lazy excuse to plug the lost revenue gap they are experiencing this year. The potential for Thailand's tourist industry to seriously shoot itself in the foot trying to claw itself back from the current situation is massive, this may be the first example already rearing its head.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:45 pm Okay, I'll go against the grain on this one.

As you know Thailand's been trying to get that juicy across the board insurance revenue earning foreigner tax in for a few years, maybe now it sees the perfect opportunity. 20-40 million x 300 baht = 6-12 billion in annually, vs how much is likely to be paid out given the tourist market is more heavily skewed towards the Asian/Asean markets who are typically short stay package tourists, certainly less than a 14 day covid incubation period.

I see it as nothing more than a lazy excuse to plug the lost revenue gap they are experiencing this year. The potential for Thailand's tourist industry to seriously shoot itself in the foot trying to claw itself back from the current situation is massive, this may be the first example already rearing its head.
I'm not disagreeing with you - once introduced, it will probably be here to stay (pandemic or not). But in the critical months (years?) ahead, it could actually be a win-win, bring tourism back to Thailand and assure tourists that they are covered while coverage might otherwise be unobtainable.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Doc67 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:59 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:56 pm Thailand offers a covid insurance policy valid for 1 year, no age restrictions for only 450/850 baht

450 baht

850 baht

Is that just for tourists with a maximum stay?
At the contrary, as a foreigner you need to have resided in Thailand since at least six months to qualify for this particular insurance policy. So it's pretty much for anyone but tourists.

See https://www.frank.co.th/en/corona-virus-insurance for details.

Also, "Thailand offers..." is misleading in the sense that this is offered by an insurance company, not by the Thai government.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

correct, offered to those of us living here and i got mine thru my SCB bank account;
BUT reason i posted it is, I am sure this is what the goverment has in mind for tourist.
A win win for everyone

I dont see how its a big deal, if you dont have insurance that covers you for covid and knowing for only a few hundred baht, you can be covered.

So what if they make a few bucks out of it?
Thats what insurance is all about
making $$$$
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic