When To Book Flights To Thailand?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: When To Book Flights To Thailand?

Post by God'sGift »

King Keil wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:49 am If nobody is coming and other countries have the disease under control they will rethink this bs. I mean 30 bucks for three meals and charging 5 bucks for a bus transfer, if I didn't know Cambodia I just had to laugh.
And which hospitals are they bringing people, the ones I have seen were death traps.
Guess that's why they already openly advertising the cremation fee.
that's right, it would be like going into a UK care home - free of Covid before going in but almost guaranteed to catch it in there, and 3000USD for the privilege!
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

The irony is funny, I'm in Thailand wondering when I can visit Cambodia again. I can add that it's easy to get all the "services" in Thailand now that you could get before COVID started. Some of the bars you just have to go to the back door. No drinks are being served but the girls who could not get back to Issan (and there are plenty of them) are still there.
Yes, I'll take the chance without wearing a deep diving suit.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:43 pm guarantee ya, if a hi so shows up at the Thai/Cambodian border en route to a hospital in Bangkok
he will get thru
Maybe, but surviving the long overland trip as a COVID-19 patient would be a different matter.
MikeD
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeD »

This whole just shows how serious Cambodia and Prime Minister HE are about foreigners, the Chinese bringing potential deaths to their country. USA is doing the opposite will all these protestors infested with COVID. Freedom does not entitle frivolous allegation of systemic racism.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:04 pm ....

No. They want $3000 up front. You claim on your policy if you like, they want cold hard cash there and then.

So the math would look like this?

50,000 insur policy = $3000
14 days at 30/day lodging = $420
14 days at 30/day meals = $420
business visa 35/mo = $35

does $3000 cover mandatory lodging and meals AND visa?

then that would be 3000 - 875 = $2125
30/day lodging is 50% above market for private room w. tv fridge cleaning bath...
30/day food is 50-100% above market

As soon as that was paid, one could go back to local prices: $12-20/day lodging
around $10/day food

comparative note:
Serbia is open, there is no lockdown and the airports will be open soon if not already
https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-ale ... 4-update-7

Hotel room @30 euros, dorm 9-11 euros
A hamburger the size of 2 or 3 McDs costs about $3
and serbia is not EU,
visa for 90 days in any 180 day period.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Fits signs of easing up? Good news for those in the 'lucky countries".
Covid 19 coronavirus: Thailand eyes travel bubble with New Zealand
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/ ... d=12339595
Soon could be singing "I'm forever blowing bubbles".
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Multipox wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:32 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:04 pm ....

No. They want $3000 up front. You claim on your policy if you like, they want cold hard cash there and then.

So the math would look like this?

50,000 insur policy = $3000
14 days at 30/day lodging = $420
14 days at 30/day meals = $420
business visa 35/mo = $35

does $3000 cover mandatory lodging and meals AND visa?

then that would be 3000 - 875 = $2125
30/day lodging is 50% above market for private room w. tv fridge cleaning bath...
30/day food is 50-100% above market

As soon as that was paid, one could go back to local prices: $12-20/day lodging
around $10/day food

comparative note:
Serbia is open, there is no lockdown and the airports will be open soon if not already
https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-ale ... 4-update-7

Hotel room @30 euros, dorm 9-11 euros
A hamburger the size of 2 or 3 McDs costs about $3
and serbia is not EU,
visa for 90 days in any 180 day period.
No amount of math makes Cambodia worth running the gauntlet at this time - it is de facto closed to all but essential travel, the same as Thailand. These rules are just a tease.

The $3000 is the full amount if you are Covid-19 positive, spend 2 week in a shit hospital and die. If you are unlucky and someone on your flight is positive, it pays for all your costs of your holiday in Club Hell.

If you are lucky and pass the immigration scrutiny of your documents, and nobody is positive after your 24 hours sweating away in the mosquito farm, then you owe them about $165, including certificate.

You then have the problem of extracting the balance of your $3000 from whoever holds it. If you're employer has paid it, and they have connections and Khmer speaking staff, they might get some or all of the balance.

If you are a bloke coming for a nice time with your mates and have no 'back-up', then you have the unenviable task of trying to extract $2835 of your money from someone who's raison d'etre may well be to keep as much of it as possible for his boss. You'll be doing well just finding out who this guy is!

I might be wrong, you might get it back, in cash, with a big wet kiss from a pretty girl when you get released. Do you feel lucky?

In the next month or so there will be tales of what the deposit recovery process actually involves and until that is all revealed I, for one, am staying firmly on the outside.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

What's all this got to do with flights to Thailand, please try keep theads what their heading are about it's getting confusing and it's frustrating enough already thanks
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

atst wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:11 pm What's all this got to do with flights to Thailand, please try keep theads what their heading are about it's getting confusing and it's frustrating enough already thanks
Mea culpa, I forgot what thread I was on (I think)
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:59 pm ....

The $3000 is the full amount if you are Covid-19 positive, spend 2 week in a shit hospital and die. If you are unlucky and someone on your flight is positive, it pays for all your costs of your holiday in Club Hell.

If you are lucky and pass the immigration scrutiny of your documents, and nobody is positive after your 24 hours sweating away in the mosquito farm, then you owe them about $165, including certificate.

You then have the problem of extracting the balance of your $3000 from whoever holds it. If you're employer has paid it, and they have connections and Khmer speaking staff, they might get some or all of the balance.

i am unsure of what you are saying here

IF YOU TEST POSITIVE, ONLY THEN, YOU PAY 3000

If you don't test positive at the airport, then you still have spend 24 hours somewhere? where is this?

and pay them 165 for what?

and the certificate is for the negative test they give you or that you brought from outside?
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic