Swiss Expat Markus Zahner Dies Following Dispute Over Dog Fight with Khmer-American

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Swiss Expat Markus Zahner Dies Following Dispute Over Dog Fight with Khmer-American

Post by Doc67 »

Any news on the puncher? Did he get arrested?
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Re: Swiss Expat Markus Zahner Dies Following Dispute Over Dog Fight with Khmer-American

Post by Foreigner »

LIVIDZX wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:57 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:13 pm How is it clear? Just because her dead friend was Swiss doesn't mean he's rich. They went to Calmette after the incident and asked for hospital fees from the Khmerican guy - neither strike me as things you'd do if you had access to major funds.
I'm going to leave the gold digger subject alone because a) it is true that it is distasteful at this time and b) it's not even up for debate in my opinion, it's fact to anyone who isn't the slightest bit naive.

The only thing I took issue with was the asking for money Facebook post. Yeah it was something she shared and didn't post herself however maybe her full post was somehow removed but I saw no thank you/appreciation message just some some emoticons of prayers which I would interpret as "please help".

a) fact and something you have made up in your head are not the same thing
b) maybe everyone here could make a note to have the good manners to thank you personally out of respect when their spouse dies so as not to cause you any unfortunate slight ?
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:40 pm
I don't know the deceased, but I definitely met him a few times.

I'm not sure "frail" is the correct adjective for him. He was (white hair aside), a rather healthy and young looking for his age, man.

His woman is an adult, she can choose who she wants to be with. She could be from 24 to 30 something and would have been of legal age to marry in 2014. That's an irrelevance and a distraction from the manslaughter trial that *should* take place.
To be fair me calling him frail may come from comparisons with the guy that hit him or the video of him being picked up which is unfair as anyone is going to look pretty rough after a bang on the head like that. I had a very bad fall down some stairs a few months ago, knocked myself out, broke my nose and had concussion for a fair while... stories like this make me realise how lucky I was.

And BTW I was never insinuating the girl may have been underage - reading back I can see why it may seem that way - I'd prefer a mod to edit my post without the "dread to think" comment, the emphasis is on the girl... absolutely no wrong doing on Markus's behalf (RIP) I was just questioning the age gap and her "making her own decisions" is exactly whats being talking about... her motives.

But I'm done with the gold digging discussion - I'll stick to the incident itself & the follow up. People can make their own minds up. Perhaps he was homeless & penniless on a bench at riverside and she showed some compassion towards him which eventually lead to them connecting and falling in love.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

LIVIDZX wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:07 pm

I'm not sure "frail" is the correct adjective for him. He was (white hair aside), a rather healthy and young looking for his age, man.

His woman is an adult, she can choose who she wants to be with. She could be from 24 to 30 something and would have been of legal age to marry in 2014. That's an irrelevance and a distraction from the manslaughter trial that *should* take place.
To be fair me calling him frail may come from comparisons with the guy that hit him or the video of him being picked up which is unfair as anyone is going to look pretty rough after a bang on the head like that. I had a very bad fall down some stairs a few months ago, knocked myself out, broke my nose and had concussion for a fair while... stories like this make me realise how lucky I was.

And BTW I was never insinuating the girl may have been underage - reading back I can see why it may seem that way - I'd prefer a mod to edit my post without the "dread to think" comment, the emphasis is on the girl... absolutely no wrong doing on Markus's behalf (RIP) I was just questioning the age gap and her "making her own decisions" is exactly whats being talking about... her motives.

But I'm done with the gold digging discussion - I'll stick to the incident itself & the follow up. People can make their own minds up. Perhaps he was homeless & penniless on a bench at riverside and she showed some compassion towards him which eventually lead to them connecting and falling in love.
Like Conor McGregor ?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

LIVIDZX wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:57 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:13 pm How is it clear? Just because her dead friend was Swiss doesn't mean he's rich. They went to Calmette after the incident and asked for hospital fees from the Khmerican guy - neither strike me as things you'd do if you had access to major funds.
John, how many expats do you know here who are frail OAP's, broke or don't have life savings/property but are married to a very good looking Khmer 20 something year old? Love at first sight was it? or did they share similar interests and hobbies despite the difference in culture and obscene age gap? Also "dead friend"?? - it has now been confirmed that they've been married since 2014.. I dread to think how old she was then, or even worse when they first met.

As for them getting the perp to pay, it wouldn't matter if they were broke or millionaires.. of course you'd expect the accused party to cover the fee's out of principle. I can't believe you'd think otherwise.

I'm going to leave the gold digger subject alone because a) it is true that it is distasteful at this time and b) it's not even up for debate in my opinion, it's fact to anyone who isn't the slightest bit naive.

The only thing I took issue with was the asking for money Facebook post. Yeah it was something she shared and didn't post herself however maybe her full post was somehow removed but I saw no thank you/appreciation message just some some emoticons of prayers which I would interpret as "please help".

Whoever said why wouldn't such a thing be done for a poor Khmer woman who lost her husband made a completely valid point also. But whatever.. if you wish to donate money to her then it's yours to give, but if talking about it is distasteful I don't know what that makes the actual post itself...
It's funny isn't it that you conveniently left out your original post that John Bingham responded and queried you on above...

So here it is again:

LIVIDZX wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:48 pm .....it's clear as day (to most) that she's probably going to be very well off shortly.

Because there is nothing in your long winded reply post above that supports your assertion. Clearly you're talking out your arse. You're judging based on pure speculation and preconditioned stereo typing without any knowledge of the facts. I suggest you refrain from posting here unless you have something helpful to add.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

LIVIDZX wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:07 pm

I was just questioning the age gap and her "making her own decisions" is exactly whats being talking about... her motives.

Yeah, it's clear you have another agenda to push that doesn't belong on this death topic. Take a day off.
PHofer
BANNED
Switzerland

Post by PHofer »

Markus was not fragile. He was healthy man.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

This topic is going down the drain. It's a pretty large age difference, not my style at all. However the guy is dead now and I didn't notice his wife complaining so why focus on that?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

John Bingham wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:20 am This topic is going down the drain. It's a pretty large age difference, not my style at all. However the guy is dead now and I didn't notice his wife complaining so why focus on that?
Yep. Deleted some trolling posts by Frizzie and he's taking a little break.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

Not sure whether any further comments on that matter are welcomed, and no offence taken if my comment is considered unnecessary and deleted, but I don't understand why he felt the need to push the agenda.

He clearly has a firm belief that a woman can not love a significantly older man. To me it's an odd way of thinking to know how different people can feel, and I'm personally quite sure that he's wrong and that such situations of love can exist (whilst recognising also that the situations he describe also exist), but OK if if he wants to have that belief for some reason then up to him.

But why vocalise that belief in a conversation about a man who has just died ? What benefit could he seek to gain from relating his 'women can not love older men, and are just after their money' mantra to this situation ?

Don’t mean to criticise the guy when he can’t defend himself, but I can’t see how he can’t see that that’s inappropriate and disrespectful whatever his personal views on that subject are. This guy was in his 60s and I think the woman is in her 30s, and they were allowed to be together if they wanted to be. I don’t see it as anyone else’s business what the dynamics of their relationship were, but regardless it’s just distasteful to make such points on a discussion about a man who has recently departed. Just my tuppence. We all make mistakes, and if he reflects on the situation and realises what the issue with the comments are, then good on him.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic