Swiss Expat Markus Zahner Dies Following Dispute Over Dog Fight with Khmer-American

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Swiss Expat Markus Zahner Dies Following Dispute Over Dog Fight with Khmer-American

Post by Anchor Moy »

frizzie77 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:29 pm It's interesting that everyone jumps on me for having bad taste, but no-one answers the question I posed in reply to the plea for money, which was:

Why in the world would we financially support a widow of a slain Westerner, and not, say, any other Cambodian widow with a slain husband in this country?
Why not do both ? Or one or the other. :thumb:
Being kind to one person doesn' t stop you from being good to other people. You're an adult, so do what you want. You don't have to tell everyone. Just do it.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Swiss Expat Markus Zahner Dies Following Dispute Over Dog Fight with Khmer-American

Post by John Bingham »

LIVIDZX wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:48 pm .....it's clear as day (to most) that she's probably going to be very well off shortly.
How is it clear? Just because her dead friend was Swiss doesn't mean he's rich. They went to Calmette after the incident and asked for hospital fees from the Khmerican guy - neither strike me as things you'd do if you had access to major funds.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

LIVIDZX wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:48 pm I just re-read the OP and read that she's in fact 41 which is reasonable (to be fair in one of pictures she has to be one of the youngest looking 41 year old's of all time).

I take back the gold-digger insinuations but I still believe someone who's just lost someone close to them should be quietly in mourning and certainly not begging for money on social media when it's clear as day (to most) that she's probably going to be very well off shortly.
Well let's get a few things straight here:

1. She's not 41, the khmer/amercian guy is

2. you mentioned in an earlier post: 'She refers to him as her husband in the photos? I guess Khmers do use husband/wife prematurely here a lot'..
She states she's been married since 2014..it likely is an unofficial khmer buddha ceremony. If that's the case I'm guessing that it wouldn't be recognised by the Swiss gov't (I think that's what member PHofer is referring to)

3. the public call to help was posted on the Facebook profile of Arjay Stevens (presumably a friend of the deceased and the widow). She shared it on her Facebook profile thanking him. I take it therefore it was intended to appeal to friends and family of the deceased. I posted it here coz I thought there may be readers who personally know them and may wish to help. That's all. Speculating that the widow is therefore a gold digger and begging for money is low in my book.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:18 pm
frizzie77 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:56 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:08 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:30 am
frizzie77 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:37 pm
I really have to restrain myself from making comments that would get me an immediate ban.

So, just this: why in the world would we support a widow of a slain Westerner, and not, say, any other Cambodian widow with a slain husband in this country?
Because he's a Westerner?
Because she's a .... (restraining myself here)?
Are you trying to say "prostitute", Frazzle?
I hope not, because to imply that would earn you more than an argument from the many expats who's wives did not come out of a brothel or a girlie bar.
And i would be first in line.

If not, what are you trying to imply?
Yeah, valid point. @frizzie77 what did you mean by that remark?
Strange that one would think of that word, I honestly didn't when I wrote it.
Look at the question I asked why we should support the widow of a slain foreigner, followed up by "because" questions.

You may add any word on the points yourself, but I was thinking more along the lines of 'gold digger'.
Unless of course you believe that a 20-something is engaged or married or whatever to a 67 year old out of 'love'.
Wow. Jumping into a conversation about a man whose just been killed, and announcing that his widow was only a gold digger based on her age relative to his, even though a personal friend has explained on the thread that she loved him.
Well, unless one wants to muck rake based on speculation, I don't see what her status or the circumstance under which she met the deceased has any relevance here or even needs to raised. I would have thought a bit of decorum on a death topic is in order here.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:55 pm
Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:18 pm
frizzie77 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:56 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:08 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:30 am
Are you trying to say "prostitute", Frazzle?
I hope not, because to imply that would earn you more than an argument from the many expats who's wives did not come out of a brothel or a girlie bar.
And i would be first in line.

If not, what are you trying to imply?
Yeah, valid point. @frizzie77 what did you mean by that remark?
Strange that one would think of that word, I honestly didn't when I wrote it.
Look at the question I asked why we should support the widow of a slain foreigner, followed up by "because" questions.

You may add any word on the points yourself, but I was thinking more along the lines of 'gold digger'.
Unless of course you believe that a 20-something is engaged or married or whatever to a 67 year old out of 'love'.
Wow. Jumping into a conversation about a man whose just been killed, and announcing that his widow was only a gold digger based on her age relative to his, even though a personal friend has explained on the thread that she loved him.
Well, unless one wants to muck rake based on speculation, I don't see what her status or the circumstance under which she met the deceased has any relevance here or even needs to raised. I would have thought a bit of decorum on a death topic is in order here.
Completely agree

I'll be honest, I do sort of (why the hell is there a blue box with frizzie 77 in following every word I type ???)….I do sort of now understand at least part of the point Frizzie was making, about the bank account being posted by the friend and shared (if I understand correctly) by the widow. Possibly in an ideal world the widow wouldn't have shared it, however I'd argue that no one is thinking properly when they are in grief. I'm not all that familiar with Khmer culture, but even though times are changing faster than I can keep track of, I reckon there's a fair argument that some people in the west might consider it a bit unusual or even distasteful to be posting bank details in the immediate aftermath of a loved one's death. That said, I also understand that someone can quite legitimately be in grief for their loved one and also concerned about their financial situation suddenly, and as you say Clutch even if someone does find it a bit unusual, it's probably something better to keep to oneself in the tragic circumstances. I don't understand how the age gap has anything to do with the issue either way, and I agree it's completely inappropriate for it have been raised in that context. I'd also suggest that this shouldn't really be the focus of the reaction to the poor man's death.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:23 pm I reckon there's a fair argument that some people in the west might consider it a bit unusual or even distasteful to be posting bank details in the immediate aftermath of a loved one's death.
The bank details were for the Venerable Penh Vibol - a monk.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

John Bingham wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:55 pm
Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:23 pm I reckon there's a fair argument that some people in the west might consider it a bit unusual or even distasteful to be posting bank details in the immediate aftermath of a loved one's death.
The bank details were for the Venerable Penh Vibol - a monk.
Plus, it's standard wedding and funeral M.O here that people pay their respects and pitch in to cover the funeral ceremony and food, cremation costs etc.
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

John Bingham wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:13 pm How is it clear? Just because her dead friend was Swiss doesn't mean he's rich. They went to Calmette after the incident and asked for hospital fees from the Khmerican guy - neither strike me as things you'd do if you had access to major funds.
John, how many expats do you know here who are frail OAP's, broke or don't have life savings/property but are married to a very good looking Khmer 20 something year old? Love at first sight was it? or did they share similar interests and hobbies despite the difference in culture and obscene age gap? Also "dead friend"?? - it has now been confirmed that they've been married since 2014.. I dread to think how old she was then, or even worse when they first met.

As for them getting the perp to pay, it wouldn't matter if they were broke or millionaires.. of course you'd expect the accused party to cover the fee's out of principle. I can't believe you'd think otherwise.

I'm going to leave the gold digger subject alone because a) it is true that it is distasteful at this time and b) it's not even up for debate in my opinion, it's fact to anyone who isn't the slightest bit naive.

The only thing I took issue with was the asking for money Facebook post. Yeah it was something she shared and didn't post herself however maybe her full post was somehow removed but I saw no thank you/appreciation message just some some emoticons of prayers which I would interpret as "please help".

Whoever said why wouldn't such a thing be done for a poor Khmer woman who lost her husband made a completely valid point also. But whatever.. if you wish to donate money to her then it's yours to give, but if talking about it is distasteful I don't know what that makes the actual post itself...
Last edited by LIVIDZX on Mon May 04, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
camborambo
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by camborambo »

Very sad story.he was a nice Guy.met him 10 years ago the First time ,when He startet His Business in PP.
R.I.P. Markus
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

LIVIDZX wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:57 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:13 pm How is it clear? Just because her dead friend was Swiss doesn't mean he's rich. They went to Calmette after the incident and asked for hospital fees from the Khmerican guy - neither strike me as things you'd do if you had access to major funds.
John, how many expats do you know here who are frail OAP's, broke or don't have life savings/property but are married to a very good looking Khmer 20 something year old? Love at first sight was it? or did they share similar interests and hobbies despite the difference in culture and obscene age gap? Also "dead friend"?? - it has now been confirmed that they've been married since 2014.. I dread to think how old she was then, or even worse when they first met.
I don't know the deceased, but I definitely met him a few times.

I'm not sure "frail" is the correct adjective for him. He was (white hair aside), a rather healthy and young looking for his age, man.

His woman is an adult, she can choose who she wants to be with. She could be from 24 to 30 something and would have been of legal age to marry in 2014. That's an irrelevance and a distraction from the manslaughter trial that *should* take place.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic