Is Phnom Penh Safe compared to other regional cities like Bangkok, HCMC and Hanoi?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Is Phnom Penh Safe compared to other regional cities like Bangkok, HCMC and Hanoi?

Post by La Quenta »

I am a long term expat of SE-Asia (NOT an old man - i'm 39 yrs old) and have spent a number of years in each of the above cities. I am considering a move to Phnom Penh once borders start to re-open and things get a bit more back to normal. I work remotely in IT + do a bit of English teaching on the side. I'd like to think i have a mature head on my shoulders.

I have visited Cambodia once. Had a great time in Siem Reap, Kampot and PP although i was not there long enough to make a proper assessment on quality of life long term.

To be honest, i am a bit freaked out and anxious reading reports about how so many expats in Phnom Penh seem to drop dead - and so often. I am worried about reports of violence, gun crime and bag snatching that seem to be quite common in comparison to other places i've lived in. I'm a bit anxious about the quality of healthcare. Also, the lack of streetlights in a lot of inner PP suburbia put me off a bit. Seems to be inviting opportunistic crime.

Put simply - i am worried about whether or not Phonm Penh is a safe city to live in.

Can anyone who has been living there short term OR long term provide some feedback? How long do people tend to stay? Is it safe? Or do you have to be on your guard a bit? Is it a viable and enjoyable place to live for say 2 to 3 years? Longer even? Am i worried about nothing?
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Is Phnom Penh Safe compared to other regional cities like Bangkok, HCMC and Hanoi?

Post by rexwell »

Same as every city, but safer than the west. A 5km trip in a tuktuk is about $2. I call it cheap insurance. Stay away from unlit streets late at night. Don't carry more money than you need. I rarely go out with more than $30. Lock all doors when at home especially at night. Many apartments have security guards. I've got 20 years on you, and have survived without incident for nearly 14 years. I'm not paranoid but watchful. Phone snatching is a thing here by guys on motorbikes. Never stand near the the kerb with your phone in your hand. Look after your own health. Police are not a problem here. Others will kick in their thoughts.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Is Phnom Penh Safe compared to other regional cities like Bangkok, HCMC and Hanoi?

Post by angkorjohn2 »

, i am a bit freaked out and anxious reading reports about how so many expats in Phnom Penh seem to drop dead

Do you take lots of illegal drugs? lead an unhealthy lifestyle? People "drop dead" usually through a combination of these. I'd also venture that similar things happen across many Asian cities. I would hazard that as these are stories that are mentioned in these pages that they stick in your mind but the fact is very few cases actually happen. Most are due to people taking drugs not knowing what they are and overdosing.Others are old age or unhealthy lives

reports of violence, gun crime and bag snatching that seem to be quite common in comparison to other places i've lived in

Reports of violence and gun crime? I cannot think of any gun crime and violence involving westerners (aside from the current arrest of a certain westerner). Again, where are you basing this from? yes bag snatchings happen, if you make yourself a target then you'll be targeted. I certainly have felt more at risk in Saigon or Bangkok than PP. I'm certain the majority of people who live here experience little to no crime.

anxious about the quality of healthcare.

There are plenty of good hospitals if you have money or insurance to cover them in PP and to an extent in SR. Whilst not Bangkok standard they are nothing to upset yourself over, however if these things do make you anxious maybe Cambodia isn't for you

Also, the lack of streetlights in a lot of inner PP suburbia put me off a bit. Seems to be inviting opportunistic crime.

Which bits do not have streetlights? None that I can think of that any westerner would be wandering about, if you are in these areas wandering at night then yes you are inviting opportunistic crime, and deservedly so for your own stupidity. Transport is plentiful and cheap no need to be wandering badly lit areas unless you are off to buy meth and rent a street walker around lakeside

How long do people tend to stay? Is it a viable and enjoyable place to live for say 2 to 3 years?
Longer even?

how long is a piece of string, some come for 6 months some have been here 25+ years. It is whatever you make it to be. Come, enjoy, learn the language, embrace that it isn't the west and shake off your little fears. However if you are preoccupied by healthcare and assumptions about safety then maybe it isn't for you.

Am i worried about nothing?
it is hard to say, you come across as someone who is very naive and not long cut from his mothers apron strings so it may be that you are the sort of person who finds themselves getting taken advantage of or targeted. I could be wrong but certainly a grown man who has lived in bigger Asian cities would have the awareness to have no trouble in Cambodia and wouldnt be preoccupied with trivial worries.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

La Quenta wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:32 pm i'm 39 yrs old
i am worried about whether or not Phonm Penh is a safe city to live in.
[Mod edit: come on, let's be more helpful to new members]
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

frizzie77 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:24 pm
A warm and fuzzy welcome OP.

Don't believe everything you hear and read. An expat website passing on reports of expat deaths is going to give one a feeling of an abnormal high. In the grand scheme, it's not. (Plus what previous poster said about drugs etc.)

PP is no worse than BKK for safety. Apply the general rules of common sense, and you won't put yourself in a pickle. Healthcare is okay if you have decent insurance and a few $$$ in your pocket.

You seem overly anxious without reason, IMHO, based on what you have been reading. If you are happy where you are, then perhaps it might be best to stay there rather than be freaked out about something you haven't done yet. Just my musings. Wish you luck either way OP.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

You said you are not an old man? Why then worry about health care?
I never felt threatened here, you just have to use common sense. Do you walk into unlit street in the Amsterdam, NYC or Rio?
Cambodia isn't for softies.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

Mate.

I've spent 2 days of my life in Phnom Penh.

I don't see the problem with asking about Phnom Penh as a quality place to live on a Cambodia Expat forum.

Belt up.

Cheers
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

Yerg wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:38 pm
A warm and fuzzy welcome OP.

Don't believe everything you hear and read. An expat website passing on reports of expat deaths is going to give one a feeling of an abnormal high. In the grand scheme, it's not. (Plus what previous poster said about drugs etc.)

PP is no worse than BKK for safety. Apply the general rules of common sense, and you won't put yourself in a pickle. Healthcare is okay if you have decent insurance and a few $$$ in your pocket.

You seem overly anxious without reason, IMHO, based on what you have been reading. If you are happy where you are, then perhaps it might be best to stay there rather than be freaked out about something you haven't done yet. Just my musings. Wish you luck either way OP.
Thanks for the feedback.

It did cross my mind that the appearance of a high number of foreigner deaths was perhaps skewed by a couple of factors and not necessarily accurate.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

There is gun crime. No Joke Howard claims a gun was pulled on him in the street in the daytime. Granted NJH invited and reveled in that kinda shit and had a Uboob channel to sell. OP, i recommend you watch all No Joke Howard's videos to know what Cambodia is all about. Many people have moved to Cambodia based on his videos.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

safest city apart from home

bring healthcare its a requirement now
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic