New Traffic Laws in Force From 1 May 2020

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
paul.smith
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Re: New Traffic Laws in Force From 1 May 2020

Post by paul.smith »

A whooping total of 900 motorcycles and 80 cars were caught this morning, May 1, in just three hours on the capital’s roads.

This is according to the preliminary report by the Commissariat of Phnom Penh Municipal Police published this morning.

Numerous strict measures came into effect after the new traffic law enforcement set to be strengthened has been implemented.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

They need to get some income...Old bill are starving ...... :|
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

^ Well, they can't say they weren't warned. :fool:
BiggieBig
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BiggieBig »

So i'm guessing motodop's will start to carry one extra helmet? lol. Or better yet find new routes where the checkpoints are
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

I was living in Vietnam in 2007 when they made it compulsory for everyone to wear a helmet. No one thought it would work, people said motodops wouldn't carry extra helmet and that no one would want to wear a shared helmet, police wouldn't enforce the law etc. They were all fucking wrong. Cops came out in force and no one wanted to catch a fine or have their bike taken away. RTA deaths over there have come down :thumb:
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

I live and work in Prek Eng. As I drove down Nat. Rd.1 yesterday to go shopping in PP, I noticed all 3 outward lanes were totally blocked for about 1 km. from the regular police checkpoint back to where they are constructing the new Ecomall. I figured it must have been the crackdown, but on returning, the cops had cleared one lane, but the queue of hundreds of cars remained.
It turned out they were all waiting to be checked at the Motor Vehicle Inspection Site there. I heard that the same giant queue is in place today. The locals are certainly taking the edict seriously.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

this morning on cows guts interchange (bridge at 271 and 217) some idiot was driving a remorq the wrong way against traffic onto 271. cops did nothing.nothing.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Gilmore wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:41 pm I live and work in Prek Eng. As I drove down Nat. Rd.1 yesterday to go shopping in PP, I noticed all 3 outward lanes were totally blocked for about 1 km. from the regular police checkpoint back to where they are constructing the new Ecomall. I figured it must have been the crackdown, but on returning, the cops had cleared one lane, but the queue of hundreds of cars remained.
It turned out they were all waiting to be checked at the Motor Vehicle Inspection Site there. I heard that the same giant queue is in place today. The locals are certainly taking the edict seriously.
47 seconds ago - BREAKING NEWS
Exemption’s for an expired certificate of vehicle inspection
According to the announcement of the General Commissariat ofNational Police made yesterday, a vehicle with an expired certificate wouldhave the fine exempted despite the traffic enforcement imposed.

General Him Yan, deputy chief of the National Police, has informedall the commissariats of national police over the Kingdom to temporarily pausefining the vehicles with expired vehicle inspection certificates until furthernotice, as the inspection center could not provide the certificate to plenty ofvehicles on time. The announcementcomes after one day of enforcing the new penalties since the of 1st May.

“Please do not fine the case of overdue technical inspectionbecause now there are many vehicles [owners] which are awaiting inspection but couldnot make it on time because all of the inspection centers are full,” said MrYan.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50719478/e ... nspection/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:09 pmGeneral Him Yan, deputy chief of the National Police, has informedall the commissariats of national police over the Kingdom to temporarily pausefining the vehicles with expired vehicle inspection certificates until furthernotice, as the inspection center could not provide the certificate to plenty ofvehicles on time. The announcementcomes after one day of enforcing the new penalties since the of 1st May.
bwahahaha
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I can see this one coming on July 2nd:

Exemptions for any non registered foreigners applying for visa extension

According to the announcement of the Department of Immigration made yesterday, non registered foreigners would have their visa extensions denied despite the enforcement imposed.

General No Luk, deputy chief of the Immigration Police, has informed all the staff of Department of Immigaration in the Kingdom to temporarily pause denying the visa to unregistered foreigners until further notice, as the computer servers center could not process all the applications on time. The announcement comes after one day of enforcing the new penalties since the of 1st July.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic